Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 8 September 2014
Love the detail put in to the landscaping and locations. Modern western animation is so lazy these days, it just cannot compare.
on 23 March 2014
To all who loves Studio Ghibli movies this won't let you down! The story is sweet and as usal the Myazaki/Takahata art is great!
on 7 September 2013
A moving tale of memories carried out in beautiful detail as ever. A good DVD for collectors of this genre.
on 15 June 2015
Excellent thank you
on 6 September 2010
Many many years ago (while I was still in my early 20's) a friend invited me to watch Spirited Away. I dont recall much about my opinion of the movie at that time, but cant say I understood all the hype about it. Couple of years later I ordered the movie from Amazon (while working overseas) and was astounded by it. So much so, that I have ordered and watched about half of Studio Giblis collection.

Recently, I bought Only Yesterday. At first I was taken aback when I realized no English dub, but Japanese with English subtitles so a bit more thinking required. However, a couple of minutes later I was mesmerized and completely sucked into this movie. Its increddible! In many years, I have not watched a movie and felt so absolutely euphoric afterward. The Japanese language makes this an unforgettable film experience for me. In fact, I have started watching all my Studio Gibli films with the original Japanese soundtrack. And realized just how terrible the American voice-overs sound, compared to the original Japanese voice actors. In addition, its got a most unusual and striking soundtrack - the music is simply beautiful.

I watched Ponyo (Gibli's latest release) on Blu Ray. Though the animation is astounding, the film did not touch me the way Only Yesterday did. And even less so that the heartbreaking Grave of the Fireflies. Next on my list is Howls Moving Castle. Only Yesterday will forever remain one of the most marvellous and heart warming movies I have ever seen. Teako as a 10 year old was the cutest little thing and her facial expressions had me in stitches.

Do yourself a favor and watch this beautiful lovely movie on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Nothing else comes close.
on 27 April 2016
Great film. One of studio ghiblis best films. In my top 5. Must watch. Must buy.
on 6 July 2015
This film gets better and better with each watch. Studio Ghibli at its best.
on 10 September 2009
This is a true masterpiece of the anime genre - aimed at the grown up audience who can empathise with the joys, frustrations and disappointments of youth.

What is brilliantly done is the way Taeko's childhood is viewed as a series of short episodes, rather than a long narrative. The pineapple scene, fraction scene and theatre scenes all stick in my mind as being so reminiscent of those insignificant disappointments and humiliations of childhood that are carried with us into adulthood as vivid memories.

The closing scene - where the past meets the Taeko's present, is utterly wonderful and will bring a tear of joy to any viewer.
on 10 April 2015
I would recommend this movie to anyone with adolescent children -
on 5 January 2017
Came much quicker than was previously advised, so really pleased