Platform: PlayStation 3|Change
Price:£18.90 - £59.99

on 28 June 2007
I being an rather obsessed gamer when purchased a ps3 need a ps3 game and was being told to get things such as R.O.F.O.M and motorstorm but I wanted a nice fun game and not an in depth first person shooter or a driving game and being a marvel fan decided on getting this but was wary of the price.

In the end got it anyway. And I really enjoyed it being a Spiderman and x men fan especially and was happy that I bought it. I found it really good fun the camera view takes a bit of getting used to as does other things but once you get the hang of it its really good and fun. The tilt action I found very annoying and defective at points but this I fear had nothing to do with the game... it was a great enjoyable game which will be loved by any marvel fans.

Anyone who is unfamiliar with marvel or not a fan can enjoy it all the same. My brother laughed and was disappointed in my choice of game but I got a second controller and he played along with me and enjoyed it very much and admitted it was a good game.

It is a good multiplayer game as you can work as a proper team like I did with my brother and a few of my friends.

The downsides to this game is the price and that when you have completed it you have completed it and the only thing you can do is do it all over again and correct any mistakes you made!!

But all in all it's a good game and if you have the money and want a fun game get it and if you are a fan of marvel, or the Fantastic 4, Spiderman, Daredevil, Elektra and/or the X - Men buy it cause you will

love it I did.
on 18 February 2013
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is one of the single greatest games I have ever played.

The game starts with a dramatic attack on the SHEILD Helicarrier by forces of the dastardly Dr Doom and, within minutes, Cap, Spidey, Wolverine and Thor have come in to save the day. This is what most people would refer to as Classic Marvel Heroism, and the rest of the game doesn't move too far from this dramatic beginning.

With references to obscure Marvel Characters, appearances of classic villains and a cast of 20+ heroes, most of whom are available right from the start, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is the Ultimate game for Marvel fans, or, like me, ordinary people who turned into fans due to exposure to an otherworldly object, namely, this game.

The Gameplay is solid, if not awe inspiring, but does give you a huge variety of special powers and ways to turn your enemies into floating SP orbs.

The BEST way to play this game is with a friend. Having someone else with you makes every single moment twice as cool, from freeing Ghost Rider from a spectral prison to finding out what happens when Blade and the Thing take on a giant space dragon together.
Buy this Game, you seriously won't regret it.
on 27 October 2008
Quality. Anyone who enjoys Marvel characters and action RPG games will thoroughly enjoy this. It is simple to play and easy to get involved in and soon, time will evaporate when playing. There is more to it than just simple button bashing, minor tactics are considered when picking your team, deciding which powers to build up and which costume and power-ups you will buy and use.
I loved it and have in on every console. Quality.
on 21 June 2007
this is a really fun game. i like to play spiderman, wolverine, captain america and the human torch. its not often you can play as so many different heroes. the gameplay is quite simple and the graphics are really good. i would have liked a few more x men characters to chose from and maybe unlock a few villains.
on 26 March 2007
Having been a Marvel fan for many years I watched the development of this game quite closely. But to the game itself. There is an intriguing storyline that raises suspicions about what you are getting into and who you can really trust. some old wounds are opened up and the morals of some of the non-playable characters are in doubt. In short, this is a game that is much more than a simple button mashing beat-em-up (though there is some of that)

But some bosses get you to answer some basic science questions and the Visions computer has an entertaining Marvel Trivia Quiz.

You can collect sketch book art and find 'discs's for mini side games straight out of specific comics built around individual heroes.

So there's a lot going on to keep you busy and interested.

There are level ups and characters can unlock different costumes from their marvel wardobe.

You meet all the marvel crooks and villains.

The detail on the graphics is vivid and the music is somewhere between atmospheric and bearable.

Two Player mode is real fun. It's worth getting the second controller for.

I bought Motorstorm and Marvel Ultimate Alliance with my machine.
on 2 January 2015
As a Marvel fan, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is a treasure chest. The sheer amount of Marvel lore thrown at you is amazing, mighty and uncanny. For example; on just the very first level Nick Fury calls Captain America, Spider-Man, Thor and Wolverine to save the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier from Bullseye, Radioactive Man, Scorpian, Winter Soldier and ultimately Fin Fang Foom!

In terms of gameplay, it’s an improved version of what you get in X-Men Legends and X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse. So that’s an awesome foursome super-powering through a level, with various objectives along the way. Each level is separated by a social hub where you can, for example, interact with the massive roster of characters or play a trivia game.

The only criticism is that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance was originally released for PS2. So the graphics may look somewhat behind compared to other PS3 games. Personally, I think the fun gameplay and masses of Marvel stuff make up for it.

Overall, 5/5 for one of the best Marvel games out there. The pinnacle (so far) of Marvel gaming, however, is the sequel Marvel Ultimate Alliance II (which I also gave 5/5).
on 1 January 2014
I am a fan of the Marvel Universe. From a young age when I used to watch the X-Men cartoons, right through to watching Avengers and loving it last year.

However, I'm not exactly a hardcore fan who reads all the comics and knows everything about the universe. And I think this is where the game started to fall down for me - I wasn't sufficiently versed in the universe.

On the surface, there's a lot to like. The idea of assembling your dream team from a whole host of superheroes has kept pub conversations going between geeks for many years, and it was good to look through who was available and pick them out. Each superhero then has a host of special powers that they acquire as they level up, and a Final Fantasy style finisher move that, when selected, triggers a chain reaction between the heroes with sufficient charge, causing cataclysmic damage. Which all looks really cool.

The game starts with the Helicarrier under attack, and you then proceed to run through a series of corridors, fighting badguys at a slightly awkward arial camera P.O.V. This is pretty much the standard for the entirety of the game. Even as heroes gain powers, combat remains pretty much standard button mashing, though you can combine moves with other heroes to do additional damage, and the corridors of the Helicarrier may switch out for the halls of Asgard or underwater worlds, but it's still very much a platformer pretending to be a bit more open plan than it actually is.

Which is all fine, really - I loved Baldur's Gate back in the day, and that followed pretty much the same pattern. But Ultimate Alliance had a few more issues than it did good points, or ignorable ones.

Firstly, Sixaxis. I HATE sixaxis controls. They are so hard to get right, and even when you think you've done it, the controller doesn't always pick it up, and it's just a recipe for throwing the controller at the television (which would probably get you through the sequence). There is an option to turn it off, but it's not obvious, so I got most of the way through the game before it drove me mad enough to change all the settings to find it. The sixaxis stuff is only used in boss battles, but the number of times I spent far longer defeating a boss than I should have done due to failing the sixaxis mini games probably added over an hour to my gameplay time. I also have armstrain from shaking the controller so violently during the battle with Galactus. Ouch.

Next, I found by about halfway through I no longer cared about the story. The problem of having interchangeable characters is there's no real vested interest with them. The plot was essentially Doctor Doom is trying to take over the world. Fairly standard superhero fodder. But because the characters I was controlling could have been literally anyone in the entire universe and it would have made no difference (some instances of unique dialogue aside) it was really difficult to invest in the story.

And finally, I think it was a game really designed to be played by two people. You always have four characters in your team, but the AI is rubbish. There were plenty of sections where I was frantically pressing the `Assist' command, only to watch them run around in circles categorically not assisting me. There was a mission where you had to destroy a computer in a very short time limit - which could have been done had my entire team been attacking the damn thing, but they just kept running up and down the stairs and not doing anything useful. I got frustrated and missed it out. Well done, AI, thanks to you, the entire west coast of America was destroyed in the final sequence.

There were a lot of extras - simulator disks with side missions on to unlock special outfits for each of the heroes, and playable characters to unlock. But, despite usually being a stickler for 100% completion, I got to the end of the story and just deleted the game straight off the playstation. I imagine with the flaws ironed out, this could have been a good game. And for the Marvel enthusiast, it's great. My sister's boyfriend loved it because he learned so much about the universe and its characters. But for me, this one just didn't quite live up to the mark.
on 29 July 2007
If you're a marvel fan than you will love this game as long as your expectations are fairly low. It's an old school beat em' up which features a lot of well known characters. There's enough variation in these characters to add some durability to the game but the crux of the game is really nothing more than beating bad guys up with a bit of enjoyable button bashing. Beyond that it's very simple in all areas, with the plot being weak and the graphics being adequate.

As there is very little about on PS3 at the moment it will do a marvel fan, whilst waiting for new releases.
on 13 July 2009
If you like Gauntlet for the PS2 and u love your Marvel Hero's. Who doesn't like them?

Then this game is for you great value for money big game that will take some playing to complete.

And some great classic characters like Dare Devil etc. Buy it now finish it before September and then get the Marvel Alliance 2 its gonna be awesome
on 3 June 2013
I thought it was an awesome game, great storyline and gameplay. The not so great graphics was made up for by everything else the game was about. I would probably buy it again sometime