I was upgrading a P4 3.4ghz and this is a pretty good upgrade at the price. For instance my boot time is not a minute shorter and I'm seeing performance improvements in intensive games such as Company of Heroes. Installation was seamless, it comes with its own fan with a thermal plate already waiting to go on the chip.

Remember you might need a new motherboard, PSU, and graphics card if upgrading to this series of chip however. You can read my other reviews to see the setup I went for (an Inno3D GeForce 8800 GTS and an ASUS P5W board).
on 4 March 2010
I have used the e6600 extensively in its normal runnning speed for some time now and have never been disapointed by it's speed or performamce. Then I installed the chip into A XFX nForce 790I Ultra board and overclocked it to 3.4 ghz from 2.4 ghzand it's running sweet as a nut and happy as larry with all my games just thrashing along!! I use the stock cooler and temps are well withinh acceptable (cpu - 48 c ..) and all my games run that much faster in W7764 bit.. So mall in all got a cheap chip tha runs at (Dual core..) 3400 for next to nowt.. Cant be bad eh? :_)
on 31 July 2014
Bought this processor to upgrade from an Intel Pentium D. I can gladly say that this was a wise move. Although a lower clock speed than my previous processor, this was miles faster and, interestingly, significantly cooler meaning a much quieter desktop.

The processor is a fair few years old now, but is still running strong and efficiently. The system it runs started on XP and is now running Windows 8 perfectly fine without any major struggle. It is also powerful enough to run professional apps including modern video editing and photo manipulation apps, of course this has to supplemented with a good amount of RAM and powerful GPU, but the processor itself is powerful enough in its own segment.

The processor itself was easy to fit and came with a standard Intel fan which was more than enough to suit my own needs. It is not silent, by any respects, but for a desktop computer of its era, I feel the temperature and resulting fan noise is more than acceptable.
on 27 August 2007
Well, where to begin? ...Hmm, at the beginning I suppose. This CPU (E6600) is simply better than any other AMD CPU on the market...and yes, it is better than AMD's socket F tomfoolery before you raise your hand to interupt me. Marry this beast with an 8800GTX (or GTS version) and some low latency DDR2-800 (2GB for starters), and you have a veritable beast on your sweaty paws. I remember when I first knocked together my E6600 system and booted the thing up..."Why is the CPU fan rotating??...must...find...3...pin...fan...header...connector!" - I thought that, in my haste to build the PC, that I'd forgotten to connect it. I was expecting some kind of imminent 'China Syndrome' meltdownery, but no! The fan was connected to the 3 pin header after all. "I don't get it?!", I schizophrenically hear you ask...Ok...I'll tell you - This CPU at maximum load (bursting at the seams with all of those fluffy Volts and pointy Amps), runs at around 40 degrees Centigrade (I never did like the name 'Celcius').

Usage-wise, this CPU can handle more or less anything you can throw at it (bar anvils). As a gamer, the only pain is that some older games get a little confused about the two cores and will run away and tremble under the table...(awww bless them). So, if there are any fellow gamers reading this, take note....if any games start to act strangely (i.e runs at double speed / half speed...both, or just at no speed at all), then bring up your task manager, highlight the running game process, right click it...go to CPU affinity on the menu, then uncheck CPU 1 (i.e leaving CPU 0 checked) then..well...that's all. The game will effectively just use one of the CPU cores instead of two.

So...summing up :- buy this CPU now! erm...remember also that you need an Intel Core 2 Duo compatible motherboard too (ordinary 775's just won't do)...erm...and DDR2 RAM...erm...and possibly a PSU upgrade.

I used to be an AMD fanboy...*sob*...By switching to Intel, a small piece of my soul feels a little bit sad...Sometimes, I feel as though emotionally, I've been fighting against Hitler with the allied forces for years...only to wake up one morning and saying "Bugger this, I'm joining the Nazi party!"...erm, perhaps that wasn't the best analogy, but I'm sure you understand what I mean...I hope.

So, until I bother to review anything else, I shall say "Aufwiedersehen!"...grrr...I mean "Goodbye!".
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2007
As more and more software applications are becoming 'multi-threaded' aka. allowing full functionality of dual or quad-core processors, you may well think it time to upgrade! Then this is the processor for you.

Price/Performance is where this processor comes into its own. Advanced users can overclock the E6600 well past 3.4ghz on the supplied heatsink/fan combo. I can't attest to these figures but I'm running smoothly at 3ghz, which is all I need currently.

Silence is golden and this processor is no expection, silky smooth virtually silent heatsink and fan combo give this baby the ice and keeps the noise to a minimum.

I would highly recommend this CPU to anyone looking for the ideal processor for gaming, HD content, intensive applications and more.
on 16 July 2016
Bought this CPU to go in a socket 775 motherboard which has G41 chipset. Note that the FSB is only 1066Mhz but doesnt really matter in the use its getting as im using it in a HTPC. But the faster the FSB is the faster the machine will be. Does exactly what i need it to do. Highly recommended.
on 3 September 2009
Very pleased with the processor. First class service and delivery from a very helpful supplier. Many thanks.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2015
Great price for an effective upgrade. Arrived on time and was well packaged.
on 27 March 2015
good price and a cheap upgrade for my Dell Precision 390
on 11 December 2014
Great price and works well.