Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 25 October 2013
This watch caught my eye for a couple of reasons: one, I favour either automatic or solar powered watches (and as far as I can figure it out the much vaunted eco-drive is essentially solar anyway) to avoid the issue of having to replace batteries and lose the factory seal. And two: my work involves a lot of travel and crossing of time zones, so the GMT/24hr clock function is an extremely useful reference point.

Out of the box, the watch had at least some charge in it so there was no concern about leaving it under a light to charge up. I've worn it almost all the time since getting it and I guess it's been charging all the time it's exposed to sunlight/artificial light. The instructions - although there are very few actual functions! - were not terribly clear, but it's simple enough to work out: crown out to the first stop, turn clockwise to move the hour hand and anti-clockwise for the date. Crown out all the way to change the 24hr pointer. It took a few goes to make sure the date was not changing at midday, but all's well now!

The look of the watch is very eye-catching. A simple dial with that added interest of the inner 24hr dial. The date window is small, but readable and in keeping with the overall design of the watch the hands are quite spartan suiting the overall simple, no nonsense layout.

On the downside: on the watch I received the second hand is very slightly offset from the markings from the thirty second to sixty second side. Not enough to bother me really - I wouldn't be using the watch for anything more precision timed than a boiled egg anyway. Also the luminous markings (the four hands only) give out a good light when recently charged - nice and bright when I turn out the light to go to sleep - but dim to almost non-existent in a couple of hours, so reading it in the middle of the night is not possible. Again, not a huge issue but be advised: if you like a nice luminous dial that irradiates you all night long, this is not the watch for you...

The downsides are outweighed for me by the functionality of the GMT dial and - once you get used to it - the ease of setting up the watch as you cross time zones. The case has a reassuring solidity to it and the knurled crown adds a nicely utilitarian touch, there for a purpose and not to look pretty. The size of the watch is just fine for me and stops short of being one of these oversized clocks being carted around on some wrists. I can see myself replacing the strap at some point: on one stop it is a fraction too tight and on the next one down a touch too loose. I'm also not sure how well the canvas would hold up, but I will need to find a good quality leather strap to do justice to the build and design of the watch.

Very happy adding this one into my collection!
on 27 June 2010
I've had this watch for about 10 weeks now and I like it a lot. The description of a"world timer watch"is not strictly accurate in my opinion as the watch gives you the opportunity to read the time in 2 time zones only as the watch effectivly comes with 2 hour hands as well as the usual minute & second hand.Normally such watches come with a rotating bezel and this watch does not.
The watch took a long time to charge and after following the instructions on charging it was still not working correctly 8 days after I started to use it. I phoned the Citizen advice line and they gave me further instructions (which were not in the manual)and since then it has worked very well.
The watch is accurate, clear to read (even with 4 hands)and not to big a diameter (a common problem with watches today). Although my family live overseas, I did not buy it for the 2nd time zone (although that is useful), I bought it because I liked the look of the watch,I wanted a canvas strap and this one is very good,and for the price of £91 with a 5 year guarantee and no batteries to change or springs to wind, I thought it good value for money. So far I have not been dissapointed!
If I knew 10 weeks ago what I know now, would I still buy the watch for £91? My answer would be yes.
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 September 2010
Simple and lovely timepiece, superb CITIZEN quality and best of all: no batteries or winding required! Why doesn't every manufacturer use the Eco-Drive system? Highly recommended.
11 Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 June 2010
A nice and simple 12/24 hour watch or dual timezone if one prefer that, a clean watch without tachymeter and other functions one rarely if ever use. The product image does not do the watch justice as it is a good looking watch. In bright light the dial face show its 2 "gray" rings, in normal indoor lighting the dial face is black and white.

The big 24 hour hand is a rare find, other watches I've looked that had a 24 hour hand were small and hard to read.

I don't like the nylon band but that is easy replaced with a better band.
review image
on 16 March 2011
Very clear, easy to read, dial.

Accuracy is excellent. Mine gains just 2 or 3 seconds a month.
The second hand lines up with the markers all around the dial.

The orange GMT hand can be just used as a 24 hour indicator.
The hour hand can be set independently of the GMT hand, if you so desire, without stopping the watch... This is great for crossing time-zones when travelling, as your watch will then show local-time on the main hands and your home-time on the GMT hand.
If you are out in the wilderness the GMT hand can also be used as a basic compass. Point the hour hand to the sun, and the GMT hand points North.

The lugs on this watch are a standard 20mm, so replacing the stock strap with a leather, Nato, or steel bracelet, is quick and simple.

It has the other usual Citizen features.
Eco-Drive (solar powered)... so no more batteries.
Flat, scratch resistant, anti-reflective crystal.
Water resistance to 100m
Screw-on back.
on 14 December 2011
I wanted a watch that was waterproof, relatively inexpensive, and have the facility to monitor two time zones in an easily readable dial.

This watch fitted the bill admirably on all counts. It can by no means be described as a dress watch, but it is functional and fit for purpose.

The timekeeping is good, but the luminosity of the dial is not all that great - but if you want to check the time during the hours of darkness - it would be wise to get a torch!

The only fly in the ointment is the small window for the date function - this apart I'm pleased with the watch.
on 10 March 2011
I've had this watch for four months now and it is my day to day watch. I bought it because I like the ability to reset the time zone without changing the time. I really like it's uncluttered lines and looks. Took a while to get full charge as the weather was dull and raining but since then is not an issue. It was left in a drawer for 10 days and was still working at full charge. Excellent.
on 7 January 2011
I've owned several Citizen watches and have never had any problems with any of them. This watch does exactly what I bought it for and lets me monitor 2 different time zones. My first eco drive watch but certainly not my last.
on 26 November 2012
This item was bought as an aviator watch for a professional pilot. It is clear and easily seen and read and above all, is very accurate. Any similar pro could not go wrong in a similar choice.
on 27 November 2015
I don't know if this watch is still available new, mine is now 8 years old and worn daily, I am on my second strap. Incredibly robust watch, roughly 50% of my working day is spent out on the plant of a power station. The watch crystal and case are subjected to a diverse range of temperatures and it takes more than the occasional knock and scrape. It just keeps going, and accurately, from new until now it gains 2 seconds a week, very good for an analogue watch at this price. When this watch finally dies I will have no hesitation in buying another Citizen eco drive
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse