Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 June 2011
There are loads of multi-disk compilations of Stax/Atlantic soul, but this contains the cream of the crop on a single disk. For oldies like myself (early-60s), it contains all the numbers that I danced to as a student. It should also keep any modern disco/party going now, in the 21st century.
on 6 December 2012
quality and commitment is shown in abundance by the atrists on this cd .to-days singers could learn alot from this cd .it is not all about 15 mins of fame ..these songs have stood the test of time .at this price ,coupled with "This is soul " 100% value for money
on 13 February 2015
I love the CD. They don't make em like they used to. A must to have.
on 17 September 2015
All good
on 25 July 2012
Fantastic record. A lot of greats that I new and a lot of ones I didn't. Great for anyone who want's a excellent beginners guide to Stax music. It really does have it all.
on 5 April 2013
Stellar my music era my memoriees my late teens in clubs dancing to this music in Hanley in the best nightclub in the world the place
At the time of writing, there is much stuff about Stax and Southern Soul in the media, due to the 40th anniversary of the first Stax tour to Britain. This is a good cheap collection for beginners, and fills in a few gaps for even a (well) seasoned collector like me!

I could go on for thousands of words about the music, and about tracks I would have chosen, but most of you would get bored. If you twist my arm, I'll say the four (and a half) Otis Redding tracks are a better guide to his talent than 'Dock Of The Bay', which was omitted. Never mind, it is on the radio every day.

I would have included 'Gee Whiz' by Carla Thomas, but the tracks of hers included are almost as good. Her 'Comfort Me' is that song from the fabric conditioner TV advert, with the glamourous girl group puppets. That Supremesesque image doesn't quite fit with the music, but it's all good.

William Bell's 'A Tribute To A King' is a tribute to Otis. I hadn't heard it for years. I've never had it on CD before and it brought tears to my eyes to hear it again.

Whether it is for memories, or for exploring the roots of today's R&B, this is fine budget goodie.
on 22 July 2009
If your Soul always heads back to the 1960s era, purchasing this CD won't leave you penny-less and broke, as it's an excellent budget-priced CD with 25 excellent Stax recordings!! And this CD is part of the Warner Platinum series as well, which is good to know these days. You may feel happy to get this CD but there's some great memories to treasure. A lot of tracks are recognisable by artist + title alone - "Soul Man" by Sam & Dave, "Green Onions" by Booker T. & The MG's, "Comfort Me" by Carla Thomas, "Walking The Dog" by Rufus Thomas to name but 4 hits, while some fans will remember growing up in the '60s with these tracks playing on the turntables, whilst they grooved on the dance floor at night clubs! Purchase this CD now - and relive some excellent soul sounds, direct from Memphis and Stax Records! Cheers Stax!!
on 4 August 2007
For anyone wanting an insight into what Stax was all about in the 60s,look no further.From the great horn lines of "Hold On..." right through to William Bell's tribute to Otis, this collection is full of pure class. With Booker T & the MGs and The Mar-Keys (later to become The Memphis Horns) providing that unmistakeable sound on just about every track, this is Stax during what, for me, were its peak years. Every one knows Otis, Sam & Dave,Eddie Floyd et al but here you also get Johnnie Taylor, The Mad Lads, Mable John and even the Stax Ska of The Astors!
The whole CD is just about impossible to get tired of, and for 60s soul freaks like myself, the sound of Memphis down at the Maclemore Avenue studio has never been bettered. I don't think that music of this quality will ever be made again!!!
I won't get into praising individual tracks 'cos it would take too long but if it's the first Stax CD you buy, I can guarantee it won't be the last!
Absolute soul history!!
on 2 November 2012
I had not heard of STAX records a friend at work told me about them. I read up on the label and then brought this album. I love the tracks that are on it and would recommend the album.