Customer reviews

Silverfall (PC DVD)

on 1 June 2007
This game looked and sounded pretty good so I went out and bought it. When it took two ice ages to get to the main screen I knew I was going to be disappointed....

Don't get me wrong, Silverfall is a good game, nice graphics, good old Diablo like hack n slash game play, and an interesting science vs. nature plot premise.

But...and its a big BUT..this game has to be the worst system hog I've ever come across!

I have a top end PC and a stonking graphics card but even on medium settings the game runs like a one legged badger! The pathetic frame rates and constant stuttering are infuriating, especially considering this is a fast paced game!

Trust me when I say you will suffer for it. At some points things run smoothly, but as soon as you heave a sigh of relief and begin to enjoy what is a stunning fantasy world, it turns into a stuttering nightmare that makes you think you've entered a Matrix movie!

Unfortunately, this problem really saps the life out what is actually an above average RPG.

If you have a machine the size of a closet, then go ahead and enjoy! If not...avoid Silverfall and go back to playing Diablo!
on 10 November 2008
Ok, So I'm not a big fan of the point and click and the camera can be annoying at times, but only when you're trying to click something far off- it's never an issue in combat.
I'd say I have an average system, nothing special, and I play the game without any issues.
As to complaints of dying a lot, not if you're careful, and also of course how you allocate stat/skill points and your class makes a huge difference.

I have been playing too much in a short period of time, up to level 52 now and I've died about 5 times at most, insurance is cheap (last price for me was less than 500 gold, I have over 65k), no idea what the cap is, and I do get bored as you'd expect, but i still keep coming back, and I'll get Earthfall too when I finish this.

In short it's not amazing but it is fun, and its worth a look especially when it's as cheap as it is now
on 15 March 2007
I agree with "Gray the elfs" review being very hard to get going in this game, I did die a lot at the beginning. It did get really annoying and I really did think about giving up, it wasnt much fun at all, but, after persevering it does get better and more fun. Once you have a companion and pets life is much easier.

I also agree with Gray on the point and click movement, I dont like this at all, its really annoying when your companions get in your way when you want to move and you end up with a dialog box because you have accidently clicked on them.

the Camera angle isnt movable enough either, you can either zoom right in and have a good far view ahead or zoom out and look down on your char but not be able to see very far ahead, I really want to be able to tilt the camera angle to suit me.

Overall this is quite enjoyable but nothing special.
on 15 April 2008
It's clear that the creaters of Silverfall had the best of intentions. They have combined much of the tried and tested gameplay from classics such as Diablo and Dungeon Siege with a twist of their own fresh ideas, adding concepts such as nature vs technology and pro active death insurance to try and make this game their own.

I'm going to try and focus on the positive sides of this game at first; graphically it is not so bad, the characters appear as though out of a cartoon comic strip, and though not to everyone's taste, I found the models used to be quite fun! This goes for all the models, from the characters themselves, be it a cheeky goblin, or a hulking troll, to the weapons and armour, offering truely murderous looking crossbows through to a porcupine fish-on-a-stick.

Well that's the positive bit done, now down to the negative aspects of this game. For ease of reading, I'm going to have to break this down into sections.

Installation: OMG this takes an age and a half to install, and then, when you think it is finally over, you find out that the installation failed. I have a few PC's in my home, myself and my gf often play co-op network games together, which is the reason we purchased (two copies of) Silverfall in the first place. We have two identical PC's but funnily enough, after installing Silverfall I had different problems on each of them, neither of which would run the game. It was after some significant amount of troubleshooting, reinstalling, patching and file manipulation that I could get the game to run on both PCs. Fortunately for me, the bugs and errors others have had getting Silverfall to run are extensively documented and available online, so I had resources enough available to get the problem fixed.

Character selection: Other reviews have criticised that the character creation of Silverfall is limited, this is not true. I found that there are many different variations and combinations available, however during the character creation purpose, there seems to be no, or at least very little, relational structure between slider bars. This means that a troll missing an eye with silder bar A set to a certain position, will look completely different if you change silder bar C, this leads to frustration from the very start to those who like to have their character looking "just right".

The Interface: The UI used is inflexible, but I have played on worse, they tried hard with frilly borders etc, but I for one would have liked the freedom to move the various boxes around screen to match my clicking and cut down on mouse distance travelled. The Mini-map, the colour coded blips that represent NPCs, and the directional compass are all sub par, and make navigation difficult. NPCs such as vendors, quest givers and utilities a pain to find, and make it all to easy for you to accidently wander into a large group of hostiles.

Gameplay: The best that can be said for the gameplay is that it is simple and works (to a degree). It's pretty standard for a "left click to move and small attack, right click for a power attack" type setup, but for some reason Silverfall just isn't fluid. When you try to run away you can't help but select new hostiles who have a grossly oversized "click to select" box, making it impossible to escape. Things only get more complicated once you have picked up a companion, where after every second click seems to open a dialogue instead of move, this is symptomatic of the companion always being about one footstep behind your character.

Character progression: there are two sides to character progression to note. Firstly the skill trees, which despite being badly explained and confusing as to which skills are a right click attack and which are a left click attack, I quite liked to start off with. However, when reaching about the middle of the game I discovered the min max sytem behind it, and my character suddenly became almost invincible. I actually had to stop using a certain skill to give the monsters I was fighting a fair chance. At least Silverfall offers a method to recover skill points spent so you can respec yourself if you feel you made a mistake. It's an expensive process, but there is heck all else to do with the money you get (except for one payment needed to progress a quest) and paying for death insurance, which becomes moot once you have a few skills anyway.
Secondly, there is the case of armour and equipment progression. Now I will say that Silverthorne has some great looking gear, I especially liked the backpack line, where you can sport banners and other stat boosting trophies for that extra bit of individuality. My gripe with the equipment system is that there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to what will constitute an upgrade. This means that you need to check every single piece of gear that drops just in case it might be an upgrade, and so much stuff drops that you spend more time picking up junk than you do actually killing the critters who drop it. At least raising gold never becomes an issue because of this, not that you have anything to spend the gold on.

The plot: To me, the definition of a good rpg is one with a good storyline that you can really get yourself immersed into. RPGs and lore go hand in hand, and always have since the good old days of pen and pencil D&D, I just wish someone had told the makers of Silverfall! The plot they came out with has the feeling of one of those stories teenagers write at sleepovers, where they write a few lines each, fold the paper over and hand it to the next person to write the next few lines. It's disjointed and inconsistant, not just in the lore, where some trolls are classic "thick as pig dung" trolls, and others are haughty nobles, but the main quest NPC seems to jump from a "he" to a "she" throughout the duration of the game. You would have thought the game designers might have realised different actors played the voiceovers for the same character part, but apparently not.

In conclusion, my experience of Silverfall is: 1 and a half days installation frustration, 10 minutes of being impressed, 2 hours of frustration, and about a day of just wanting it to be over.

After completing this game I am happy to say I have removed it from my PC completely and will never be reinstalling it.
on 12 March 2007
Firstly the graphics arent all I hoped for. The character creation options are extremely limited and I simply couldnt make a character I liked the look of no matter how hard I tried.

Secondly the gameplay is insanely hard. One problem is the point and click movement which often sees you unable to flee in a crowded fight because you cant click on a empty bit of land to flee to. Thus you die. Also the camera angles make it very hard to see whats ahead (zooming in gives a nice view of your back and the view for a tiny distance in front of you, zooming out makes the camera tilt downwards showing you a nice view of the top of your head, useful huh?). This means you often run into too many monsters or cant clearly see how to avoid them. Thus you die.

Now, about all this dying. Normally in a game death is no big deal. In Silvefall its a nightmare. For a start you drop all equipment and weapons on the spot and end up back in the start village in your underpants. You then have to retrace your steps to the place where you died, and attempt to retrieve your equipment, which is where you left it, surrounded by the monsters that killed you. So, not only did they kill you when you were fully equipped, this time you have to fight them with no equipment at all, just those trusty underpants. This means you often die over and over. In an hour you can die 15 times and totally forget that youre on some epic quest to save the world. It just feels like a game of 'run around in your underpants to get your gear back'. Fun.

It wouldnt matter if it was hard to die, but its not. Dying is incredibly easy and doesnt happen when you meet something particularly nasty like a Dragon or a huge Troll, oooh no. You die to the zombies 10 feet outside of the start village. Because they breathed on you.

Later after completing a quest you can get insurance so that you dont drop your items when you die BUT you must pay everytime you do die to keep this insurance cover. This quickly bankrupted me and left me with no gold for armour and weapons. Back to those underpants. Fun.

Nice idea but in the end far too punishing and far too hard for the game to be fun or to allow you to get into the storyline and enjoy the plot.

Very dissapointing.
55 Comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2011
This game took about two and a half hours to install on my PC. I perservered with it, even with several 'not responding' screens. However, once the game had finished installing it ran without a hitch. There were no problems with playing the game aside from some of the points that other reveiwers have mentioned - mainly dying a lot (especially at the beginning, not so much when you get used to things) and the point and click moving system. The game runs smoothly for me, I have yet to notice any major bugs or glitches and it has not crashed once in all my time of playing.

I thought the graphics were good. Neither exceptional or poor, though, I was playing it on the lowest setting. The character builder was a bit generic, you didn't really get many options to customise your character. Playing through the game will yeild you plenty of loot and equipment to dress yourself up with and each piece is shown on your character. So probably a good thing that you couldn't adorn your character with elaborate tattoo's and whatnot, as after a few hours gameplay you'll have yourself completely dressed up.

The gameplay is fairly fast-paced, ie, the slaying of many foul beasts, though, you do have to stop every so often to sort through all your loot. Loot junkies would love this game. Almost every enemy - you will be ploughing your way through a plethora of nasties - drops a piece of armour or a weapon of some kind. You do (at least, I did, and a few others it seems) die a lot at the beginning but once the controls become familiar and you get your first companion and some decent loot, things do become easier. I played for a few hours, then started again from scratch and I did noticably better the second time round.

It seems obvious in saying this but do read the manual before playing - I didn't and I suffered for it! The Quest journal is also very helpful as it tells you your main quest, any sub-quests and companion quests. When you select each quest a cross will appear on your map telling you where to go. The game is also quite involved, there are multiple ways to complete some quests (depending on your allegiance to nature or science) and the combat can get very hectic at times.

The camera wasn't too troublesome. The overhead veiw is well suited to exploring outside, while the third-person view (from behind your head) was well suited to dungeon-crawling. I often used this veiw to explore then switched to the overhead view once combat was initiated (or vice versa, sometimes). Your companions will often get in your way no matter what view you choose, just have to be careful not to click on them by accident (easier said than done).

All in all I really enjoyed Silverfall right up to the end. The more you play, it seemed to me the quicker it got, so that near the end you were mowing down hordes of enemies, and at the start you had to take things slow. I would guess there's at least thirty hours gameplay throughout the whole game. Provided you are careful and do not die too often, this game might keep you happily occupied for a few hours each day.
on 12 April 2010
It took some playing to realise what Monte Cristo did here with Silverfall. The game works like an old game, but with new looks. If anyone can remember playing older games from the early 90's or even before, those were times you would progress bit by bit. You would be so fustrated but would come back for more. Silverfall tries to achieve this. Not a great idea in days where we are all looking to complete a game and jump to the next biggest thing.

Like the other reviews explained, the whole underpants thing was a big pain, though the insurance option existed. Like most games it has a few bugs to say the least. Has an interesting take on the graphics and settings. Reminded me a lot of Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

This game will appeal to somebody with an old school mentality toward gaming, somebody with the patience of a saint but who can see beyond the commercial quickness of modern RPG games.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 January 2008
First of all, I'm giving this 4 stars but only because I can't give it 3.5 stars. Using percentages I'd rate it a 70-75% action RPG.

Secondly, when I bought it it was under seven quid and at any price under a tenner I'd recommend it to an ation RPG junkie but at full price? Not so much.

It ran great on my system (C2D E4750, 2GB, 8800GT) and I love the cel-shaded graphics. In fact the whole art direction is some of the best I've seen in a game of this type and you really get to appreciate it in a flyby of all the zones later in the game. Controls are simple and pretty intuitive, although default binding health and mana to 9 and 0 isn't the best idea.

Finding your way about the map can be tricky. Overall the map is pretty bad and you have to watch out like crazy for the mere hints of suggestions of a path that'll take you to the next zone. Miss a slightly snowier path or a darker piece of rock, suggesting a bridge, and you'll be left wandering around for ages.

You know the routine, start with nothing but a rusty spoon and kill increasingly harder enemies who drop phat loot until you're a whirling dervish of destruction. It's a quickish runthrough first time, probably around the 25-30 hour mark on normal if you do most of the side-quests.

It's hard at the start but honestly not that hard. If you're getting beaten - RUN AWAY. The real problem is balancing. I played a pure warrior (with a little healing at the start) and while I died 4 or 5 times in quick succession at the very start, once I had it sussed I didn't die again until I beat the end-boss with 5 or 6 double-whacks of my twin swords. And then it was over, but with the option to run through again at higher levels. But once you beat the game on normal there's virtually no point trying to play on difficult because it'll be too easy, you need to go to very difficult to challenge your character in the starter zones. Except by then you've seen all the zones (which aren't randomized like D2) and done all the quests.

There's a nature vs technology sub-plot running through the game but it's just fluff, in my opinion, and made no real difference to me except for the armour I got to wear or the weapons I could use. There are spells available and you could opt to play as a nature druid or technology engineer type character but I didn't really explore that end of things. The nature vs technology sub-plots have zero bearing on the main quests.

So if my rating is a little high the tone of the review may seem a little low but I actually really enjoyed myself but just not enough to want to run through it again, hence my suggestion that you buy this a cheap as possible and certainly not at full price.