Format: DVD|Change

on 21 August 2013
Hi
Excellent period drama, good interesting story and great acting from all, and to see Mr Cumberbatch in almost all his glory is worth the price alone! So get this if you are a Cumberbabe to see Benedict pre Sherlock, and looking very cute!
on 4 May 2014
The story is really incredible and it is hard to believe that people actually did travel 6 months - if not longer - to go from England to Australia and most of them, under horrible conditions.The crew of the boat and the people on the voyage are such a mixed bag to make things really interesting. Good acting, cold reality, a number of events shape the lives of all of them. It has a happy ending which is expected but the getting there is what makes this story really good.
on 13 June 2013
Was looking forward to watching this DVD, but sadly disappointed by the lack of quality in this 'copy'. It kept freezing and picture was pixilating also at times. It should have been in three episodes, but appeared to have been 'edited' together. What I expected was a good quality DVD of 'To the Ends of the Earth' with one of my favourite actors in that would become part of my growing collection, but this sadly is not one of them.
on 16 August 2013
We bought this on the reputation of Benedict Cumberbatch. His acting in this series is superb. The first episode is a bit slow but overall the series was very enjoyable and worth a re-watch.
on 28 May 2014
This is a brilliant piece of drama.
This is a must buy for all you Benedict Cumberbatch fans out there. He is an exellent actor and although he did this before Sherlock and became a household name, you can see here why and how this brilliant man became the most sought after actor he is today. You will also be treated to naked Ben, a treat indeed.
on 28 February 2014
This series wonderfully acted by all, a great 'coming of age' type of story and very different to the norm. Highly recommended. But be warned, the DVD quality is maybe one step up from a street pirate copy, and considering the price that's really annoying. I have no idea why there isn't a proper BBC issued version, it's a great shame.
on 23 October 2012
I loved this. Benedict Cumberbatch is excellent as Edmund Talbot. He starts the voyage as a rather gauche arrogant young man, and we travel with him (literally and figuratively) as he experiences and bears witness to all the events during this crossing to Australia. He arrives a much wiser, quieter, more mature Edmund, but still emotional, good-natured, lively, curious and ready to fall in love. Jamie Sives is very good also as Lieutenant Summers, the officer who acts as a sort of moral compass for Talbot - always trying to get him to do the decent thing, the thing which Talbot knows he should be doing. I also like Jared Harris very much as Captain Anderson. I think he's a terrific actor but there seems to be something wrong with the script as far as Captain Anderson (and a few of the other characters - Mr. Prettiman and Miss Granham) is concerned: I was never sure whether we were meant to view him sympathetically or not. Listen to the music which begins and ends the first dvd (this is 'Rites of Passage' I think) - it's composed by Rob Lane and it's lovely.
on 8 March 2014
Wow! I am at a loss for words, this amazing tale of Edmund Talbot and his adventures at sea are just a wonder to watch. Benedict Cumberbatch does an emotional and heart quickening performance of an 18th Century aristocrat travelling on a long journey of self discovery. There are equal amounts of pleasure, humour and sadness, creating a portrait of a man's life in the space of a two disc set. There is mystery, love, and many odd characters to meet, and I strongly recommend this film to anyone who is a fan of emotional roller-coasters, and gorgeous Benedict aswell, I know I was shouting at Mr Talbot many a time when I watched this on my own.
on 29 April 2013
Somehow I missed this series when it was on the BBC, so I was very pleased to find it on DVD as I love William Golding's trilogy about the journey of Edmund Talbot. Benedict Cumberbatch is outstanding as Edmund, a rather arrogant but innocent young man who matures into a sensitive human being, but there is strong support from Sam Neill, Victoria Hamilton, Jamie Sives and other members of an excellent cast. Like the novels, the dramatisation manages to convey the danger, claustrophobia and indignity of a long sea voyage under sail but it has its lighter moments too. Strongly recommended.
on 10 March 2014
I found this screenplay well constructed and coherent. It reveals a broad range of emotions in the characters as they face different challenges. These challenges catalyse transformation of the characters to differing degrees and dimensions . The story is a fascinating portrayal of human behaviour. A fine performance by Benedict in particular - absolutely fascinating to watch how his character deals with the different trials of the voyage. Highly recommended.