Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 November 2008
What a truly amazing record this is.
Five 20 somethings from Kentucky have delivered a fantastic album bursting with Hard Rock sounds and Southern Rock influences, the end result is quite breathtaking.
Opening rocker "Rain Wizard" sets the tone, (a song which lyrically tells a great story, by the way) followed by "Backwoods Gold," another superb Hard Rock song.
It's on the final three tracks though where the album really starts to shine, these songs are musically perfect, they flow superbly and they sound brilliant.
No real power ballads on here, perhaps this is the only thing missing, but those types of song are purely down to personal listener preference rather than a staple song of any hard rock band.
Best Track "Rollin On"
on 17 April 2007
I first heard this album driving along with a mate as he had just bought it and I instantly fell in love! Bought it the other week and haven't taken it out of my CD player yet!

Its very southern rock based with tasty riffage and fantastic vocal hooks throughout. Nothing like a good bit of rock n roll!

Highlights on the album for me personally are 'Rain Wizard', 'Come Hell And High Water', 'Lonely Train' and 'Maybe Someday'.

I woud recommend it to anyone who likes bands such as Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Clutch, Down, Black Label Society... though I have seen that they seem to appeal to alot of people into different genres so I suggest giving them a listen and judging for yourself!!

Enjoy!
on 3 April 2007
It's refreshing in the age of screamy metal to have a band that is just a classic, in every sense of the word. This band oozes southern class - you can hear the Black Label Society and Buckcherry influences really coming through on this release, as well as the vibe of Led Zep and Skynyrd too. I'm not expecting many of you to have heard this band, but i picked it up on the strength of the KKKK review in kerrang, and i have to say it blew me away. It makes me want to kick back on a porch in summer with a bottle of bourbon - it's that type of music! The songs are as catchy as hell, and the vocals are rich too. I recommend this to any fan of the good ol' rock scene of the 70's, or for fans of Zakk Wylde, Saliva, or other "southern" sounding bands. Amazon have Real Audio streams up here, so have a listen. I can promise you that you won't regret it - i most certainly haven't!
on 25 April 2008
This album was bought on a complete whim, having heard nothing about the band at all and only a snippet of Lonely Train I decided to dive in and buy it, keeping my fingers crossed that I would like what I had heard.

I don't think I have listened to anything else since!

The vocals have been described as too clean and clear, too polished by some of my friends but they have all been swept up in the fantastic hit of pure rock n roll that this album is. The southern influences are obvious from the beginning, some tracks heralding back to early Black Label Society stuff which made me love it all the more. The vocals are delivered beautifully, the music engaging and all consuming. Not one track on the album disappoints as so many other albums do.

In fact, I love this album so much I have made friends who don't even like rock music buy it as I won't listen to anything else!! What better endorsement is there?
I have to agree with most of the reviewers here in that musically this is a 5 star album. The tunes rock in a way that I have been gagging for for years, not since page was plumbing away have I been moved by such a groove. These guys really are awesome. However I only give 4 not 5 stars as the lyrics are dire. This is an album you play 5 times in a row as it is that good, but unfortunately the part that fails miserably is the lyric writing. Predictable etc. Now this wouldn't ordinarily bug me but this band could be bigger than ACDC as they have the southern style with hard rock riffs on tap and a sound dynamic that the Youngs could never achieve... Their sound is unique I just wish a bit more effort went into the lyrics..
on 17 April 2007
I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with this album, it's a band i'd never heard of up until the day my friend purchased it and she had only heard the track samples on Amazon but from first hearing I new I had to have it. The band have such a unique sound and image.

It's time for the kings of rock to step on down and make room for the new and improved rocksters, their music will blow you away. I urge you to check them out.

My fave 3 tracks from this album are Hell and Highwater, When The Weight Comes Down and Shooting Star.

A perfect purchase for fans of Black Label Society, Buckcherry and the likes of.
on 28 May 2007
what a brillant album, just bought this to-day.i havent heard loud tight drumming like that since john bonham or lars ulrich.really heavy and screams play me louuuuuuuuuuud,i was'nt sure but every single track is good,these guys remind me of core the first stone temple disc really heavy.i recomend this album first class i will be keeping my ear to the ground for more defo.
on 2 April 2012
I'm a bit late to Black Stone Cherry but this is easily one of the best debut albums i've ever heard.
If you're hanging your nose over this band then this CD is the best place to start.
Their other 2 albums are good but this is an absolute belter and I would imagine they recorded this without the inevitable label interference which I think affects the two follow-ups a little bit.
Black Stone are best when rocking out and this album really benefits from not having any what I would term ballads on it, don't get me wrong i'm a sucker for a slowie but personally I actually think that on the odd occasion that these guys do slip up is on the slower tracks when weak lyrics tend to let them down, none in sight here though so no worries.
Chris Robertson has got an amazing voice, alongside the likes of Myles Kennedy and Brent Smith he's got to be one of the very best around at the minute, very different to the other two though.
Rip snorting guitars and brilliant druming throughout there isn't a poor track on here and there's a really nice almost old school sound to alot of the songs, favourite track at the minute is Rollin On which will sound amazing with the sunshine blazing down.
I could yak on but just buy it and enjoy.
on 1 April 2008
This is a cracking album start to finish.

It's quite easy to be critical because i'm always in search of the next thing that's going to inspire me with that something different and this album is not that.

It's not unique. The classic rock era of the 70's is there (ie Led Zep...i can't see AC/DC as referred to in other reviews...but there are even some UFO style melodiesin there) and there is a heavy updating of that era with a dose of Pearl Jam/Soundgardenesque melodies and riffs (think Temple of the Dog with naughties production).

However once you have got over the potential Spinal Tap-isms of Rain Wizard (is he supposed to be some sort of ominous mythical character or just wet?) and Crosstown Woman (who they seem to refer to as being 'like my heaven with a whole lot of hair'...should that not be Stoneage Woman?) the songs are great.

Lyrical substance aside there are some epic choruses, crunching riffs and the wah-wah pedal kicks in bigstyle in a lot of the solo's. If you are a fan of 70's rock and where revived by the likes of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden in the early nineties you'll love it. It's not the best next thing though...i can't see where they go from here... just enjoy it for what it is.
on 18 February 2008
I was massively impressed with this record. No, it's not the most original album ever recorded but Black Stone Cherry are obviously pretty good at what they do- heavy southern rock in the same vein as Corrosion of Conformity and Down- there's a bit of Black Label Society and Clutch in there too. Looking forward to seeing them in England this summer (supporting Def Leppard and Whitesnake- they'll probably be the best- and certainly most energetic- band on the bill considering the four of them probably have a combined age of David Coverdale!)
This has also been my first purchase after splitting up with my girlfriend of the last year and living alone again and it truly is a great one to start a new single life to! In fact these songs will make you feel pretty much invinceible! Lyrically it's all about these southern rock stars in the making breaking out of their small town lives, leaving girls behind ("Maybe someday we'll be together but now I'm gonna rule the world you'll be just another pretty girl that crossed my sight and for now I've got to rock and roll!") and stuff. It hasn't left my car stereo for weeks- does make you drive like a nutter though.