Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

on 18 September 2009
Firstly, I have to admit to a very wide music taste, but not a lot of opera. I also have a broad sense of humour. I also 'flick' a lot with the TV.
Noticing G & S on the Sky Arts channel I stopped to see what it was like - WOW! - the show was very good. After a few minutes the wife and I were completely hooked. It seemed years since we had had such a great belly laugh and were in awe at the antics of Jon English. The rest of the cast were utterly brilliant. The whole experiance must be repeated.
After searching the internet for ages for a DVD I finally tracked down a reasonably priced one on Amazon - the only possible drawback seemed to be that it was region 1 not 2. Checking our old machine it said multi-region - Ha! Very shortly we recieved the disc and tried it - Joy! It worked; everything stopped to watch the show again - and again the next night and so on. We have had a G & S night so the word is spreading!
If you want to be entertained, the sheer brilliance of this Australian Company is hard to beat. As an operetta it is excellently performed, singing well listenable, but the comedy is just the right level to be really entertaining.
We would certainly recommend this DVD.
One word of warning - you might laugh yourself silly, you will certainy become hooked!
on 3 January 2008
I saw this on the tv at Christmas and it was wonderful, particularly Jon English. So much so that I have now bought the dvd. I love it. If you need cheering up this is the dvd to see.
on 14 June 2007
An absolute hoot from beginning to end. It is pantomime, it is burlesque, it is camp and above all a tonic. Feeling down? watch this DVD.
on 16 July 2008
If someone has told me a few months ago that I would be continuously humming Gilbert & Sullivans music, I would have told them not to be so daft. I love classical music but G&S's operetta's were definitely not for me.

BUT....then came Essgee's version onto our TV screens. I decided to purchase a copy and I have watched this DVD time and time again. Each time I find that there is something I missed the time before, something new to laugh at. I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who loves music and most importantly loves to laugh. I have since bought Essgee's The Mikado and H.M.S.Pinafore. Money very well spent. I cannot decide which of the three I enjoy most, so I am therefore watching each in turn, over and over again. This makes quite a number of tunes. The question always is - name that tune.
on 12 September 2009
For anyone who loves G&S, this is a must-buy item! Its fun, fast and furious entertainment of the highest calibre from a top-notch Australian company which you will want to watch again and again - yes, really!
on 22 October 2010
This production from Simon Gallaher's Essgee entertainment, is ajoy from start to finish, (as long as you are not a GandS purist. Based on the Joe Papp pirates, but given a new coat of paint, this show is bursting with Ausie energy and fun. The opening is a little confusing, unless you are aware that Essgee have also produced Mikado and Pinafore, but once they into their swing there's no stopping them. Jon English as the Pirate King, can swash a buckle with the best, even taking on the MD. (Not sure who wins) and leading a never to be forgotten rendition of 'With cat like tred'. Derek Metzger as The Major general is a delight, with a great sense of comic timing, almost outdone by Tim Tyler as the Police seargent. I swear he's made of rubber.
The diction throughout is excellent, you can hear every word, and only Toni Lamont as Ruth betrays her Australian roots. Watch out for the scene where she loses control.The Major General's daughters have to be seen to be believed. But what really made it for me was the wonderful singing of Helen Donaldson and Producer/actor Simon Gallaher as Mabel and Frederic, they are just Fabulous.(That Note is about 25 seconds). I could and do watch this again and again, it is a real tonic. JP.
on 30 April 2009
absolutely amazing i watch this when i am ironing jon english and cast makes the task enjoyable, if the company brings this peformance to england i will be first to book a seat,keep an eye on the orchestra they were just as entertaining as the cast, all in all a first class performance
on 31 December 2010
I am 84 years old and I have seen "Pirates" dozens of times, every kind of company from School productions to the professional theatre.
without doubt this production, with Jon English, is the best I have seen. I have played it many times and shared it with friends, all of whom have shared in my delight. The precision and energy of every participant is simply breathtaking. I look forward to playing it many more times.
on 19 January 2011
I have always enjoyed Gilbert & Sullivan but had only seen this particular work a couple of times. I then viewed it on Sky Arts and was hooked. I decided to purchase the DVD and so glad I did! I have never seen the artistes in this particular production before, but they are all very talented. I would recommend this absolutely - just great!!!
on 12 February 2016
Ye Gods !!! For once, words almost fail me. I have an eclectic taste in all things operatic and I am certainly no Die-hard Traditionalist but this travesty of a production hits all the wrong notes for me. Having thoroughly enjoyed a box set of "Opera Australia's" productions of "Pinafore", "Mikado", "Gondoliers", "Patience" and "Trial By Jury" I was expecting more of the same, but, sadly, got this turkey. There is minimal info beyond what is printed on the DVD cover itself and the picture quality is pretty inferior. Both of these I could have put up with in themselves but reviewing this production leaves me in a quandary as to where to start ! To start with, the bulk of the music seems to be provided by a synthesizer and the overture is omitted altogether. I've nothing against synthesizers as such but the instrument comes nowhere near to the sound palette provided by a full orchestra and therefore the full quality of the music lacks any kind of depth or subtle nuance as a result. Visually the main emphasis seems to be on acrobatics and tomfoolery ...a sort of Chuckle Brothers meets The Ukrainian Gymnastics Team in Baron Stoneybroke's palace. A complete waste of money, especially after the excellent production shown on "Sky Arts" a few weeks back, which I, fortunately, recorded. This one will take its place in some dark corner along with such classics as the "Ronco Knife-Sharpener" and the Arctic Ice-cream maker !