Customer reviews

SAVANE
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 November 2013
This is an amazing album. It's a must have for anybody who enjoys listening to Ali Farke Toure. I have a couple of his other albums and they're all good but this one is by far the best in my opinion. At the time of writing this review I've had this album for around 9 months and I'm still not tired of listening to it. The title track 'Savane' is heartfelt and and haunting. I love this album.
on 3 December 2016
Intriguing sounds in an 'African' style, very emotive.
on 9 May 2014
Ali plays Mali original blues with a Stratocaster.
This together with River are the best CD's and contain all the tunes that made AFT famous
on 11 October 2013
After 2 plays this has become my favorite CD. It would have been my favorite after 1 play but I was listening to my previous favorite CD before it and so I needed 2 plays just to make sure . Unbeatable when played in car / bus / plane / train . The longest journeys just melt away as you search for the repeat button
on 16 July 2014
well this here is world music for you I heard him on another album and I thought it is a must have for my collection
on 11 September 2015
Fantastic
on 30 December 2014
THANKS!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 March 2009
Listening to the haunting and beautiful music from "The King of the Desert 'Blues' Singers" Ali Farka Toure you realise what a sad loss he is to the world of music. How tragic that his life was cut so short when he was at the peak of his powers. One of my deep regrets was missing him performing live in London shortly before his death.

I must be honest here and say I only have two of his CDs. This one and "Niafunke". Niafunke is a remote village on the river Niger in Mali where Toure was born and lived. He even recorded "Niafunke" in this village. Of the two CDs I have to be honest and say that I find "Niafunke" to be an even more virtuoso piece of work. But "Savane" still has beautiful music throughout that seems to give off the heady scent of the desert.

Aside from visiting a museum about the Sahara in Marrakech, listening to Toure is about as close to that great desert as I am likely to get. It must have been a wonderful experience to hear the great man singing for the pleasure of himself and his friends in his desert home. That is how his very special musical gift would be best enjoyed. This is a beautiful note for him to leave on and is a fitting elegy to his work. Recommended.
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2006
One wonders if knowledge of his own mortality drove Toure to produce his two most beautiful and affecting albums-this superb epitaph and the extraordinary In The Heart of the Moon. Many artists knowing of their imminent demise might have retreated into a shell-instead Mr Toure left us these two magnificant heart-rending pieces of African music, encompassing the full breadth of his talent and knowledge, at once both acoustic and electric, heavenly and humane. If you are not inspired and awed by these two albums your heart is dead.
11 Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 December 2009
I've been looking for new sounds and to broaden my musical horizons for some time.. this album is immediately engaging, sensual, mysterious and hypnotic.. if you're a lover of quality world music then buy this