Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 February 2007
This album could have been so much better. Re-mixing the album and getting rid of Penny's high pitched singing would be a great start. More depth is needed with the album as 3 songs really can't make a good album. From the basis of this album and seeing them live i really don't think The Automatic have it in them for another album (especially not a good one) However i eagerly await to be proven wrong...
on 3 July 2006
My visits to Wales have always been spent in peaceful enjoyment of the rolling hills or beautiful west coast. So what's turned it into a hot bed of rage for the likes of Automatic and boisterous brassers Adequate Seven? Is it because shopkeepers stop speaking English as soon as you enter the shop?

Whatever it is that's causing this angst, let's hope they keep it up.
on 2 July 2006
Though sounding very same-y on the first listen, this album is a definite grower and by two or three listens you will be singing along to this fantastic debut album from The Automatic.

I originally heard this band with their fantastic single 'Recover' and, more recently, 'Monster' and the album lives up to the quality of those tracks.

Particular favourites include 'Keep Your Eyes Peeled' and 'Seriously... I Hate You Guys' but each track has some hook that will make each one well worth listening to.

This CD is definitely worth a listen and a great contender against the usual paint-by-numbers nature of manufactured music.
on 5 January 2007
Not bad, i like the band and was gagging for this cd, two or three of the tracks are great and the band are different, I think if you see them live you will love this cd but..

.. a few songs sound a bit samey and the constant screaming/ chanting/shouting does get on your nerves a tad, bless him, (clearly unloved as a child!)

So three stars say it all, its a worthwhile addition to the music collection but it won't be a stand out cd that you will be playing non stop, unlike Hard Fi, Coldplay or The Killers.
on 4 August 2010
Completly angular brit pop. Vocals are ace, I love Penny and his yelping. the kind of dancing you do to this is ilegal in many countries. I bought this after accidently seeing them live- Best accident for a while, there's alot of hidden Gems on this baby as well as the epic monster which is used in everyday life for most people.
VINE VOICEon 10 October 2007
I like Monster, its a good record. However, the album is full of quite lame tracks and I must confess to getting fed up with the bloke who has a very high pitched voice chipping in with his 'lyrics'. However, I feel that the Automatic do have potential. Not a terrible album but not great. Monster is worth it alone at this price mind.
on 28 July 2006
This album really lives up the first two singles it released being upbeat and fresh sounds throughout the whole album. My favourite song on the album is still their first single 'Raoul' but that is not to say the other songs are not as good.

This band is really refreshing and is taking indie music onto a new level : buy it now!
on 28 June 2006
Don't really want to slag off these lads as I hoped they would be going on to great things, however I have to say that apart from the few exceptions (most notibly singles Recover and Monster and the brilliant Raoul) this ablum is samey, poor and amateurish. Almost every track is the same 3-4 minute blast of rhetoric from a middle-class point of view that seems quite empty and vaccuous to these jaded ears. Monster is at its best melodic; Recover does show a glimpse of better lyrics - though Raoul is the stand out track for my tastes, with some semi-intelligent lyrics coupled to an intersting hook. The rest, well, best left unsaid.

Could've been so much better.
on 3 July 2006
I was blown away with the catchiness of "Monster" the first time I had heard it. Saw the band on live Jools Hollands program playing one or two of the other tracks on this album...NOT BAD, I thought.

Anxiously I awaited the release of the album, and then huge disappointment.

Great band, Great hooks, but WHY oh WHY does that plonker on the keyboards insist on having to shout at the top of his high pitched voice on EVERY TRACK??

I havent been able to listen to all of this album properly, cos I find that one voice sooo damn irritating that I need to switch it off...its infuriating, and I had to remove cd from car cd player before I put my foot through the dashboard!!

Very disappointing!
on 22 September 2015
Bought this for my girlfriend and she liked it