on 23 July 2012
I go into the loft maybe 10 times a year ( mainly to retrieve large items in storage such as suitcases ). As such I didn't want to spend a fortune on something that only gets infrequent use. I have an electric socket already in the loft so a plug in Mains inspection lamp seemed the ideal solution rather than a torch.

So that's the background as to why I purchased this product.

My initial thoughts on this product are that it feels a little fragile and that the plastic casing could easily break. Given I expect it to hang in my loft and not be moved about this doesn't bother me as the risk of damage is low.

The bulb is easily inserted as the front metal guard unclips.( remember it's a screw in ; all my other bulbs in the house are bayonet so ordered bulb at same time ).

The lead is also of a good length.

I would recommend this product if you need a cheap lamp that you do not expect to suffer any wear and tear in usage. It is very good value compared to other products on the market. If you want something that feels more robust then you will have to spend a bit more money I think.
on 27 August 2010
What can you say about an inspection lamp?
It conformed to what i expected, a durable light you can hang anywhere. Like all inspection lamps gets very hot so some caution required.
on 6 February 2009
A very useful product for the price, its purpose was to be able to inspect the area inside the loft. This was achieved successfully and I was able to hang it up and use both hands for the job in hand. A very handy product for the price.
on 7 October 2013
Bought this lamp to use in my loft and to replace a product I used to have. Unfortunately when lamp this arrived a normal English bulb will not fit in it. The fitting in the lamp is too large. I took it to my local electrical shop in case it was a question of me being dim but the owner confirmed it's not an item made for use in this country and not correctly stamped with a mark CE to show it's been tested for use here and is safe to sell. Therefore it's a completely pointless product, I feel totally conned. Not very happy!
on 15 December 2009
It's an insction lamp for the workshop. What else can you say. It hangs up with a hook. It has a screw in type bulb, an off/on switch and a guard around the bulb. Thats it.
on 9 October 2014
Following poster Carole's recent review I inspected mine. While there is debate about whether there is "correct polarity" for certain E27 lampholders (because European plugs can be inserted either way), my lamp had Brown (L) wired to the lampholder N terminal. That is inexcusable IMO, though not automatically "unsafe".

Light and slightly flimsy but then I bought it to replace an inspection lamp with an over heavy glass cover and an over large cage. You probably know the type.

Perfect with a LED lamp. Note the cable supplied was black however it is marked H05RN-F which is a higher specification rubber cable better suited to contact with oil than the orange, probably PVC, cable pictured.
on 1 November 2014
Poor quality and questionable safety wise, the innards were wired up wrongly. The flex is extremely thin. Maybe OK to use in a static location but would not use where it was being dragged about.. Not impressed at all...but cheap..
on 25 March 2011
Very good value for money. Works as well as much more expensive versions and even has an on/off switch. We are using the inspection lamp with a low energy bulb to provide light to refurbish a narrowboat and although perhaps not as robust as more expensive versions it has a hook which means it can be hung safely out of risk of damge
I screwed in a 60 watt rough service light bulb and switched the rocker switch to the on position, but the light did not come on. I noticed that the plug had been screwed together fully and decided to open it, to check the connections before tightening it up. BUT when I looked inside, the first thing I noticed was that copper core of the brown (live) wire had been completely sheared off! The next thing I noticed was that the cheap and very nasty plug had been fitted with a 13 amp fuse, when low wattage appliances like lamps should be fitted with 3 or 5 amp fuses!!!! This is because the current(?) produced by a 60 watt light bulb is far lower than the current produced by a 3Kw appliance and when fitted with a 13 amp fuse a fault could cause an electrical fire before that 13 amp fuse would do its job and break the connection!

However, rather than return it for those two reasons, I decided to rewire the plug and fit a 5 amp fuse. BUT none of my posidrive or Philips screwdrivers would turn the cross-head screws on the connectors! So I found another, decent quality plug, wired the lamp up to that and fitted a 5 amp fuse and lo and behold, the lamp then switched on!

Conclusion: fitted with an incorrectly wired, cheap and very nasty plug and with a 13 amp fuse instead of the correct 5 amp one.
Advice: check that the fuse in your plug is not also a 13 amp one and if it is, change it for a 5 amp one!
on 15 March 2011
This light does what it says on the pack. Bought to use in the loft and it gives more than sufficient light to see what's tucked away, it's just a shame the lead is not a little longer, but we do have a large roof space so have to use an extension.

It is very good value for the price, a little word of warning make sure it is secure when hanging, a curled hook is probably best to ensure it does not come off when moving about, broke a bulb by hanging on a nail...