Customer reviews

Prehistoric Park [2006] [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 9 May 2014
a bit silly as a modern day scientist with portholes goes back in time to collect giant insects,dinosaurs and woolie mammoth and rhino,good for history only
on 17 April 2017
loved by my grand children
on 18 July 2017
My son loves it.
on 31 August 2006
Fearless Nigel Marvin is back with this brilliant 'Sci-Fi'/ wildlife series. Which though this is yet another Jurassic park rip-off for the small screen is great fun. The idea is that Mr Marvin who is just right for this type of show. Has a 'Time generator' so he's able with the crew to go back to pre-history.And collect dinosaurs and bring them back to a island into a huge park. The CGI effects are very good but looking close you can spot some shortcomings. The real treats come when Nigel picks up a small dinosaur and inspects it. There is a 30 minute behind the scenes making-of on the special features. All in all if you just accept the impossible this is a fine show well worth buying.
on 4 June 2008
My son has been increasingly interested in dinosaurs over the last couple of years (he's now 4) and I have found it increasingly difficult to find non-gory or frightening programmes for him to watch. As far as I'm concerned this is a parent's dream: there's no need to be concerned about language or excessive blood and no chance of a T-Rex biting anyone out of a car, or being eaten by a sabre-tooth cat. It's educational and fun - what more could you ask for?
on 16 January 2007
We (me, my wife and my 5-year son) watched this series on TV (dubbed in Italian) and found it very entertaining. Fact is, I'd be less sure to recommend it as a DVD set because what was really entertaining was the inner story, rather than the computer graphics or scientific elements of it. Me and my kid were huge dinosaurs and prehistoric life lovers already and didn't have to rely on this series to know anything new. But we all loved to squeeze on the couch every evening to see what was next for the T-rexes or the Elasmotherium (our favourite animal of the show). It was good to watch it as a serial and we were actually very disappointed to know that the show was over after only 6 episodes. Minuses: just three-four new animals for every episode and a sense of not grasping the huge degree of biodiversity of past eras. Pluses: Nigel is actually very good in this (he quickly became my son's hero...) and makes you hope for a reprise. Recommendation: The "Sea Monsters" show, also with Nigel Marven, is somewhat better filmed and equally entertaining.
on 1 September 2006
I'd ignore the other 2 reviews for this - they seem to have missed the point that this is for kids... I bought a copy for my nephews and nieces (aged 5-9) and they absolutely loved it, to the point that they watch it repeatedly for all the extra information that you can get to pop up...

I'd recommend this to anyone, especially people with young kids!
VINE VOICEon 17 December 2016
C'mon. Get a grip. Is this rubbish for real. Even my 8 year old son hated it.
on 11 December 2006
Yes, I have a collection of prehistoric animal documentaries like

-What killed the Mega beasts

-Walking with Beasts(VCD)

-Walking with dinosaurs(VCD)

-Walking with Monsters

-Chased by Dinosaurs

And now, newest in my list, is Prehistoric Park. It is one of the best and I think, is better than Walking with Dinosaurs. In WWD, you see a Postosuchus finally succumbing to a pack of Coelophysis. You think- Wow, how formidable the Coelophysis is.

However, when the Smilodon cub dies in Prehistoric Park, you actually feel sad and hope you could make the cub survive.

Unlike CBD, it keeps your interest all the time, a scene in Chased by Dinosaurs about echolation is rather boring.

The animation is not as realistic as the Walking with..... or CBD, but is still top notch.

From far off, they seem as realistic as the Walking with, but closeup, they look, errr...... a bit unrealistic.

MOST REALISTIC

Titanosaur

LEAST REALISTIC

Smilodon

MOST GORY SCENES OF DINOSAURS ATTACKING

The Deinosuchus attacks the young parasaurolophus

The mother T-rex fights the male T-rex

Matilda vs Terrence isn Episode 4

The Smilodon kills the Toxodon

LEAST GORY SCENES OF DINOSAURS ATTACKING

The Triceratops fights T-rex

Matilda vs Terrence in Episode 3

All in all, a 5 star documentary. Definitely recommended for your shopping cart.
on 8 October 2006
Oh for goodness sake. Will these other kill joy reviewers get lives. I love these programmes. As a lover of dinosaurs since I was 8, I am now 44!! these programmes are just what I would have dreamed of as a child. A friend bought this set for my kids, we live in Portugal and missed it on TV, I have 14, 10 and 6 year old boys and an 8 year old daughter, who love this to death, and I will sit and watch it too over and over again. This is fantasy, you have to have a leap of faith with this, and what the hell is wrong with that! In fact I think imagination in kids programming is imperative to have these days when everything is spelt out for them everywhere else. Ok it may not be totally accurate but what a way to whet appetites for learning more. I love the way it's done in the style of the fly on the wall, vet/wildlife doccies that are on endlessly at the moment. The actors are great, I even had a few pricks of tears myself when the elephants accepted the mammoth (why didn't he go back and get another one)!! Crazy I thought to myself, but it got me going!! We have got the Walking with Dinosaurs book back out, they are playing endlessly with the plastic dinosaurs on the carpet and looking up creatures on the internet. Isn't that great inspiration to have around, and entertaining too. Well done to the production team for this and lets have more!!
22 Comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse