Format: DVD|Change

on 8 October 2006
Oh for goodness sake. Will these other kill joy reviewers get lives. I love these programmes. As a lover of dinosaurs since I was 8, I am now 44!! these programmes are just what I would have dreamed of as a child. A friend bought this set for my kids, we live in Portugal and missed it on TV, I have 14, 10 and 6 year old boys and an 8 year old daughter, who love this to death, and I will sit and watch it too over and over again. This is fantasy, you have to have a leap of faith with this, and what the hell is wrong with that! In fact I think imagination in kids programming is imperative to have these days when everything is spelt out for them everywhere else. Ok it may not be totally accurate but what a way to whet appetites for learning more. I love the way it's done in the style of the fly on the wall, vet/wildlife doccies that are on endlessly at the moment. The actors are great, I even had a few pricks of tears myself when the elephants accepted the mammoth (why didn't he go back and get another one)!! Crazy I thought to myself, but it got me going!! We have got the Walking with Dinosaurs book back out, they are playing endlessly with the plastic dinosaurs on the carpet and looking up creatures on the internet. Isn't that great inspiration to have around, and entertaining too. Well done to the production team for this and lets have more!!
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2006
Fearless Nigel Marvin is back with this brilliant 'Sci-Fi'/ wildlife series. Which though this is yet another Jurassic park rip-off for the small screen is great fun. The idea is that Mr Marvin who is just right for this type of show. Has a 'Time generator' so he's able with the crew to go back to pre-history.And collect dinosaurs and bring them back to a island into a huge park. The CGI effects are very good but looking close you can spot some shortcomings. The real treats come when Nigel picks up a small dinosaur and inspects it. There is a 30 minute behind the scenes making-of on the special features. All in all if you just accept the impossible this is a fine show well worth buying.
on 1 September 2006
I'd ignore the other 2 reviews for this - they seem to have missed the point that this is for kids... I bought a copy for my nephews and nieces (aged 5-9) and they absolutely loved it, to the point that they watch it repeatedly for all the extra information that you can get to pop up...

I'd recommend this to anyone, especially people with young kids!
on 20 November 2006
My little girl (5) loves this and we regularly watch it. I logged on to see if there was another series yet for sale, and was surprised at some of the negative feedback.

Let me suggest that if you can notice the deficiencies of cgi graphics, are aware of all of the intricacies of prehistoric animals, and require grade a acting from documentary makers, then you are probably too old to be watching this to start with. However, given the flaws, I still enjoyed because my daughter loved it and the amount of 'why' questions means that the show did the trick in makeing her wonder about the bigger issues.

For those who saw the flaws rather that the positive aspects, either watch it with a nephew or niece, and listen to them tell you to shut up as you monotonously harp on about the cgi aspects. Do you also go to star wars to point out the flaws in space travel, or to lord of the rings to point out the flaws in human anatomy for hobbits. Get a grip and get a life.

this show is fanatastic for those who like to imagine what if, which is what entertainment should be all about.
on 16 January 2007
We (me, my wife and my 5-year son) watched this series on TV (dubbed in Italian) and found it very entertaining. Fact is, I'd be less sure to recommend it as a DVD set because what was really entertaining was the inner story, rather than the computer graphics or scientific elements of it. Me and my kid were huge dinosaurs and prehistoric life lovers already and didn't have to rely on this series to know anything new. But we all loved to squeeze on the couch every evening to see what was next for the T-rexes or the Elasmotherium (our favourite animal of the show). It was good to watch it as a serial and we were actually very disappointed to know that the show was over after only 6 episodes. Minuses: just three-four new animals for every episode and a sense of not grasping the huge degree of biodiversity of past eras. Pluses: Nigel is actually very good in this (he quickly became my son's hero...) and makes you hope for a reprise. Recommendation: The "Sea Monsters" show, also with Nigel Marven, is somewhat better filmed and equally entertaining.
"It's one thing to find a T-Rex," the narrator David Jason tells us. "It's another thing to take one home." Prehistoric Park takes the fascinating idea of a natural history series on dinosaurs and combining it into a fictional documentary with a real wildlife adventurer named Nigel Marven. Nigel uses a time portal to travel back with a small team to capture or trick dinosaurs in order to return with them through the portal to today's Prehistoric Park. This is an idea that is presented with good science, but is engrossingly odd because it's played so straight. It's hard not to keep smiling at what has led us to this since Marlin Perkins and Wild Kingdom.

The series has terrific production values, exciting situations, deadpan delivery and this outstanding, enthusiastic real-life naturalist, Nigel Marven. He's a producer and star of popular British TV natural history programs and was associated with David Attenborough for several years. From the back wearing a bush hat he resembles Andrew Zimern rushing to eat something we don't want to know about. From the front, however, he resembles somewhat a weathered and energetic Rod Taylor, down to his workingman's accent. Nigel Marven is a completely unself-conscious amateur actor in the middle of all the special effects. This integration of live action and impeccable Computer Generated Imagery is what CGI was born to do, not waste its time on comic book movies. The fight between two T-Rexes, one with two babies looking on and Nigel trying to stay out of the way, is far more exciting than the fights between Spidey and Willem Defoe. The CGI visuals with the explanation of the giant meteor strike that most likely led to the disappearance of the dinosaurs is impressive. Nigel and the two hungry T-Rex babies, now orphans that he coaxed through his portable time portal with a sandwich, had only seconds to spare before the meteor hit.

During the six episodes of approximately 50 minutes each we'll get to know and like Nigel, as well as Prehistoric Park's head keeper, Bob (Rod Arthur) and the Park's veterinarian, Suzanne (Suzanne McNabb). Of course we'll also see Triceratops horridus, Omithomimus, Tyrannosaurus rex, Mammuthus primigenius, Elasmotherium, Smilodons, Phorusrhacos, and...uh...a lot more. The titles of the six episodes let us know what Nigel and his time portal are up against: T-Rex Returns, Mammoth, Dino-Birds, Saving the Sabre-Tooth, The Bug House, and Giant Croc. During the episodes we often switch back to Prehistoric Park to see how Bob, Suzanne and the staff deal with everything from giving a mammoth a haircut to cool her down during a heat wave to doing an ultrascan to check for a dinosaur pregnancy. Take the time to watch this series, especially if you have kids to sit next to you on the sofa. I think you'll get a kick out of Prehistoric Park while you all learn some good, interesting stuff.

The DVD visual and audio transfers are first-rate. There are three episodes on each of the two discs. The documentary series was shown first in Britain in 2006, then later that year on Animal Planet in the U.S.
on 11 December 2006
Yes, I have a collection of prehistoric animal documentaries like

-What killed the Mega beasts

-Walking with Beasts(VCD)

-Walking with dinosaurs(VCD)

-Walking with Monsters

-Chased by Dinosaurs

And now, newest in my list, is Prehistoric Park. It is one of the best and I think, is better than Walking with Dinosaurs. In WWD, you see a Postosuchus finally succumbing to a pack of Coelophysis. You think- Wow, how formidable the Coelophysis is.

However, when the Smilodon cub dies in Prehistoric Park, you actually feel sad and hope you could make the cub survive.

Unlike CBD, it keeps your interest all the time, a scene in Chased by Dinosaurs about echolation is rather boring.

The animation is not as realistic as the Walking with..... or CBD, but is still top notch.

From far off, they seem as realistic as the Walking with, but closeup, they look, errr...... a bit unrealistic.

MOST REALISTIC

Titanosaur

LEAST REALISTIC

Smilodon

MOST GORY SCENES OF DINOSAURS ATTACKING

The Deinosuchus attacks the young parasaurolophus

The mother T-rex fights the male T-rex

Matilda vs Terrence isn Episode 4

The Smilodon kills the Toxodon

LEAST GORY SCENES OF DINOSAURS ATTACKING

The Triceratops fights T-rex

Matilda vs Terrence in Episode 3

All in all, a 5 star documentary. Definitely recommended for your shopping cart.
on 8 November 2006
My children all love this DVD so much they beg to watch it every day (we have had it for over a month already).

It seems to appeal to children aged 3-8 and captivates adults too. I really recommend owning this if you have kids.
on 25 April 2013
OK.., my son loves Dinosaurs. If you've read more than one of my reviews, you'll probably know that lol.

But much to my astonishment, I found I loved the series too. You get used to the Walking With Dinosaur approach, purely watching Dinosaurs move and I'm afraid, brilliant though this was the first time or two you saw it, it quickly ceases to become as astounding.

However, this series had a plot (getting various dinosaurs from the past just before their death quite often, which adds a bit more danger than 'oh dear, they are huge, be careful you don't get clawed, trodden on' etc. The series included the best film shots of the asteroid that probably was responsible for the final extinction of the dinosaurs because Marvin ended up with a second or two to bring some young tyrannosaurus back before it hit. It made it more real rather than a purely theoretical idea.

This is the approach of the entire series, its bang up to date with current research and manages to bring a very theoretical subject to life in a more real way than any other series.

Then there is the Prehistoric Park Keeper.., Bob.., he's almost as much a star of the series as NIgel Marven. The way he 'copes' with never before seen dinosaurs unexpectedly being sent back is part of the thing that keeps you watching.

The only thing I wish is that there were double the amount of episodes in the series. Its definitely the best dinosaur TV series I have seen.

If you have any interest in evolution, ancient history, geology etc.., buy this series, you won't regret it. Its appropriate for all ages (my young boy was 6 when we bought it and he watched it over and over again).
on 12 January 2014
Edutainment at its best. Everyone's favourite palaeozoologist Nigel Marven goes on the adventure of a lifetime to track down prehistoric beasties for a modern safari park. A few reviewers seem to sniff at the supposed dumbed down concept, but ignore them: good, clean fun from first to last. I've got academic tomes on palaeontology on my bookshelf and this would sit very happily alongside, as a complement. It doesn't because it was a present for my 10 year old son, so it's with his DVDs. He loves it. I love it.