on 16 December 2010
I happened to catch Coming Home one night when I awoke on the sofa from a nap as it was just starting, and I loved every minute of it. Not my usual cup of tea by any stretch of the imagination (I like action and science fiction), but it was clearly well written and acted and starred some fantastic English acting talent - including rising stars such as Emily Mortimer and Paul Bettany (and a young Keira Knightley playing the young Judith Dunbar in the first part, with Emily Mortimer playing her in later years), as well as such stalwarts such as Peter O'Toole and Joanna Lumley. It was in two parts, so I made a point of watching part 2 the next evening. I was hooked in, as it were.

Coming Home's basic premise tells the tale of a young middle class girl (Judith Dunbar) who befriends an upper class girl (Loveday Carey-Lewis) at boarding school. The two become fast-friends, and Judith is made to feel a part of Loveday's family because her own family live and work away in the East. The Carey-Lewis family take Judith under their wing and she falls in love with them, their carefree upper-class lifestyle and their idyllic ancestral family home of Nancherrow. Coming Home spans a decade or so, from the early-mid 30's right through to the conclusion of World War 2...telling the tale of the lives, loves and tribulations of Judith and the Carey-Lewis clan, and the effect the war has upon them all.

I then read somewhere that there was a sequel book by Rosamunde Pilcher which was also dramatised for TV, so I made a point of watching Nancherrow when that came on. I loved every minute of that, too. Nancherrow basically follows on from where Coming Home left off, but with yet another actress playing the role of Judith. However, this time it follows Loveday's life more than Judith's, so it is not so much of a blow to the viewer who, by now, will be used to Emily Mortimer's portrayal of Judith. I can only presume Emily Mortimer was too busy to return to the part.

All in all I highly recommend it to fans of good British period drama. Just please keep in mind that both titles contained here were given away free in the Daily Mail as part of a romance collection a couple of years or so back...it was a promotion of 14 free DVD's. They are always on sale on a certain well known auction site for about a pound each, which is how I acquired my own DVD's.
on 22 November 2014
Bought this as part of my Mums Christmas present and she was thrilled with it, put it straight on as soon as she opened it. I have to say, the whole family enjoyed it and we don't usually share our Mums taste in Films and Books. Great DVD and storyline, it really holds your attention. I never read the Books so I can't say how closely it follows the storyline though.
on 5 January 2012
I was reading Coming Home when I decided to have a look at the DVD. I won't go into the plot as other reviewers have already done so. The film was ok in it's way, but I couldn't relate a lot of it to the book, which is wonderful, and one I will read again and again. Peter O'Toole and Joanna Lumley are brilliant and good casting here. Also Paul Bettany and Patrick Ryecart as the faithful Tommy. However I found Emily Mortimer's Judith pretty pathetic. In the book she comes across as a plucky girl, taking her misfortunes on the chin. Instead she seems to cringe in her WRENS uniform and speaks in a pathetic voice most of the time. There were some changes to the plot as well that I thought were quite unneccessary, e.g. Edward's demise - what was the point of that? Nothing was shown about Judith's visit to Ceylon and her recovery from learning the fate of her family. Another new storyline when her sister Jess returns and is unable to speak after her traumas in a Japanese POW camp. However saying all this, I would watch this again when there is nothing better on TV.
The sequel Nancherrow was quite simply laughable and will go in the rubbish bin.
on 5 August 2014
A review of 'Coming Home'. The beginning of this movie evokes the happiest of childhood memories, when life seemed to be much simpler, school was disciplined and everyone had a special friend. It was truly a joyful period. When adulthood looms the joy of relationships is in the offing, to spoil these Idyllic and happy times, WW11 breaks out. Partners and friends are conscripted. Tragedy strikes, life at Nancherrow will never be the same, WW11 ends. Happiness is somewhat subdued. Finally, love blossoms...............The laid-back acting of Peter O'Toole is superb. All parts are well cast.... Overall this Rosamunde Pilcher story deserves 5 stars.
on 9 December 2015
In my view one of the loveliest story's of Rosamond Pilchers superbly filmed a true reflection of the war time years,which I lived through,the different standards of living between the classes,but also showed how everyone stood together during the terrible time
,each charector was cast brilliantly,all well acted,I was so sorry when it came to a end,but at least with the first class DVD ,I can watch it again.
Thank you Amazon once again.
on 29 October 2013
As stated in the title, I really enjoyed the first instalment, but not so much the second. It had great performances from some brilliant actors - Joanna Lumley in particular was great. The location of the house is beautiful and I thought the characters were quite engaging. The story is roughly about the fortunes of a rich family who live in a mansion, which has its own private beach, and about the friendship of two girls who live there. It goes through the Second World War and has some happy and sad moments. Would recommend to anyone who likes gentle Sunday night type period dramas.
on 5 April 2012
I am loathed to say I absolutely agree with Johnb! This adaptation tarnishes your affinity to the book and its characters. My only notion of positive reviews is that they are from those who have not read and loved the book. It does not do Rosamunde Pilcher's phenomenal work justice. I have read from interviews with her that she had nothing to do with the production.

Where to begin, omitting points already made. I have to agree first and foremost with the travesty of The Dower House. This is no Dower House it is a mansion in itself. As to it being occupied by the army and never being lived in by any of the main characters is totally absurd and a deviation of the actual story. The Dower House, and Judith's love for it, is all based on what happened there. For Biddy, Gus and Judith's old house maid, this was a place of refuge and sanctuary. Her relationship with Edward blossomed here which is why Judith vows to return to it. And why on earth was the hut where they first made love on a cliff near the beach? I simply can't understand why these alterations were made. It certainly wasn't for improvement.
It completely tore apart the characters that Rosamunde had created. What the screenplay writer clearly could not recognise is that all the events and scenes in the book all compile to portray the characters and by destroying or completely eliminating these they are just killing off the personality traits of the characters themselves. To completely miss out Judith's time in Ceylon excludes part of her growing up and maturing.

The worst part of the adaptation for me is regarding Edward. It in no way puts across how much Judith loves him, if at all. Firstly when Judith founds out he is dead she doesn't even cry or falter in anyway. Secondly Edward didn't go blind, propose to Judith and then commit suicide. He died a hero, fun loving and eccentric as ever, with Judith's love for him still strong. Gus wasn't an artist commissioned for a painting, and Walter wasn't the perfect loving husband. All these alterations completely changed, for the worse, an amazing and compelling story.

Two saviours for this abomination (if you haven't read the book) firstly; George Asprey and Emily Mortimer are wonderful, as is Joanna Lumley and Penelope Keith. George Asprey especially is a perfect Jeremy and just what I imagined when reading the book. Secondly; the scene with Jeremy at the London residence is true to the book and thankfully Judith and Jeremy do end up together. However, the synopsis for Nancharrow (the sequel adaptation) details trouble in their marriage. Why? Why ruin an amazing piece of creativity as is the book. I can't comprehend it. The only reason I can imagine is that for legal reasons the story had to be altered to a certain degree for copyright purposes although I doubt it. This cannot be called an adaptation and should not take the name Coming Home. It is merely a production based loosely around a novel. A complete insult to the book.

I have tried to eliminate the adaptation from my mind and had to re-read some parts of the book itself in a bid to do so. This sounds extreme but any book lover out there will understand what I mean.

As I loved the book so much I purchased it for a friend but in no uncertain terms advised her and my mother in law (who introduced me to the book) not to watch the adaptation. It is a crying shame on the screen writer's part as the actors were sensational (with what they were given).
on 18 May 2015
I've never felt the film was quite as good as the books but this was a good effort, The scenery was delightful and the story was authentic. I enjoyed it and if you are a Rosamund Pilcher fan I would recommend it.
on 16 July 2014
I am still enjoying watching this DVD. I think it is a lovely story and one that you can just sit down and relax to watch it. I have enjoyed all if Rosamunde Pilcher's books and DVD's and wish that there were more of them.
S.Jones
on 12 September 2012
Coming home is wonderful, but of course de book is much better.
Nancherrow was a disapointement to me..other actors a story wich is not always true to the story of the book
If I would have known I would not have bought it..but it was together with coming home.