on 23 November 2007
I recieved this game from Amazon on the Friday it was released and raced home from work as quick as I could to play it, finally a new ps3 title to play...woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd played all the other Ratchet and Clank games on the ps2 and enjoyed them all immensely so I had been looking forward to this game coming out for months and when it finally arrived I could hardly contain my excitement.
The game is just as much fun as all the others ... BUT ... it's far too easy and far too short. I recieved it on Friday and finished it on Saturday.
I'll explain more about the easy part ... every time you visit a weapons, armour or device vendor you're health is completely replenished to full which to me takes away the sense of achievement you got grom the other Ratchet and Clanks for getting through any particularly hard parts as these vendors are everywhere and if you're low on health you just have to run to the nearest one, press triangle and you're health is full again, you don't even have to buy anything. Also the map-o-matic you acquire later in the game gives you the locations of all gold bolts and leviathan souls which takes the fun out of finding things in the game, the only things you really have to search for are the holo-plans for the ryno iv and there's only 15 of them so it's not particularly taxing to do.
I have to say that as much as I was looking forward to this game I found it a huge letdown in terms of length and ease, it seems to me that the makers, Insomniac, sacrificed great gameplay for great graphics, and yes the graphics are truly spectular to look at, it's very much like playing a Pixar movie ... BUT I expect so much more from my ps3, I expect a game with great graphics and gameplay that lasts so much longer than 2 nights of gaming.
The game is still fun to be played through a 2nd or even a 3rd time so you can upgrade all your weapons and buy the mega versions and upgrade them too but all in all i'd say I was very disappointed with this game. It's just too easy and too short and I believe my ps3 is capable of so much more.
I've given this title 4 stars quite simply because it's Ratchet and Clank and I believe Insomniac can ...and must ...do better next time.
P.S The bossd battles are easy too, I finished the final boss in 2 attempts, the final boss in the 1st Ratchet and Clank took me so many attempts to finish that I lost count!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S Although the game is too easy, it is great fun to replay and try to max out all your weapons and find all the holo-plans and gold bolts, i'm finding the tornado launcher the hardest to max out, but maybe i'm just not very good with the sixaxis???????????????
4 people found this helpful
on 28 December 2007
Ratchet & Clank: ToD is simply a fantastic title for the Ps3. I suppose the only reason i wouldn't give it 5 overall, is because of my experience in the previous titles. Having completed The first and thrid titles with a fair bit of ease, i have managed to get onto the final 'boss' in around 3 days. Yes the guns are fantastic, the 'clank' upgrades great and grpahics stunning; but i am hoping next time, the new R&C title, will be a challenge for all: newbies and experience R&C gamers...

Graphics 9/10: Ps3's stunning engine is put to good use
Sounds 8/10: original platform booms n bangs
Gameplay 10/10: keeping u on the edge of your seat throughout the entire game
Life 8/10: For those who have played before, slightly unchallenging but still great fun

Overalll 9/10: One of those titles on Ps3 you MUST have - oh and by the way, even if you do complete the game early, you can always revisit planets and unlock more fun events...I suppose its life isnt really that bad at all :]
on 11 February 2017
This game is great it makes you want to play it over and over again and it is possible to find the full holo plan to build the super weapon not giving anything else away if you like action and fun games I highly recommend you getting this game
on 26 March 2017
He loved it and kept him amused for hours... (poor me!!)
on 1 August 2008
Tools of Destruction is fun. The graphics are great and some places they are stunning. there are a wide range of wacky weapons and locations with a storyline that is bigger and more personel to Ratchet than anything they've attempted before.
the platforming element is done very well and so are the StarFox style space levels where it isn't until your ship is flying through the rings of an asteroid that you truly realise the greatness of this game.
If you have enjoyed previous R&C games then this is a must buy as it brings in all the good elements from previous games and then makes them better on an epic scale.
One person found this helpful
on 16 February 2016
Good entertaining game. Has good graphics, sound, gameplay, storyline, character development, and presentation.
on 17 May 2012
This is actually the second time i have bought this game, i regretable traded in my first copy a few years back and since then i wanted to see it return.
For any Ratchet and Clank it is an absolute must as it is the pairs first outing on the Playstation 3. It measures up to previous installments on the PS2 and beyond.
If you are new to the franchise you can still easily dive right in to the story. Hopefully it will even convince you to check out the franchise's other games as well.

In two words: Hilarious and action packed!!
on 26 May 2017
Great game!
on 25 May 2017
Doesn't stand up to the old PS2 games, but not bad. You don't get anywhere near enough ammo and it's a pain in the arse
on 12 January 2018
Bought as a gift. Recipient loved it.