Format: Audio CD|Change

This is an absolutely brilliant collection of Nazareth's powerful rock sound, including their biggest hits Love Hurts, Broken Down Angel, Bad Bad Boy, Place In Your Heart and This Flight Tonight. The lead singer's vocal could be piercing and rasping but sensitive too, a bit like Joe Cocker.

Their version of Joni Mitchell's This Flight Tonight is spectacular, as they really lift the song and give it an entirely new angle. It really soars. And they do the same with their cover of The Everley Brothers' hit Love Hurts.

My favourite is the brilliant uptempo Place In Your Heart, a tuneful and hypnotic classic rock song if ever there was one. Those who like the music of Queen or AC/DC or Meat Loaf, a melodic rock sound with powerful vocals and high emotion, will love the music of Nazareth.
on 14 September 2009
There are a number of Nazareth compilations on the market. This one (at time of writing) is a clear winner on price and has a decent number of tracks on it but it is not without its problems.

My principal gripe is with the single edit of "May The Sunshine". "Edit" is being kind. There is a whole piece missing from the magnificent intro. It sounds like the master tape has been cut with a rusty spoon and spliced with a bit of gaffer tape found on the editing room floor. The first time I heard it I thought my CD had a fault but having compared it with the bonus track on No Mean City it is what it is meant to be. I have no idea if the other compilations have the album version but if they do then that is a good reason not to buy "The Very Best of"

My other issue is with the 1981 remix of Morning Dew. I had not heard it before getting this disc. Now I have I prefer the original though the Blackfoot version is better still.

So a good selection of tracks but if you do not own "No Mean City" already then look elsewhere for the band's sunniest hour.
on 22 May 2015
Great cd of a very influential and to extent forgotten band. Who played it as it should be loud and raunchy for its time. A great vocal punch and snarling instrumental back up created one hell of a sound.
on 31 October 2010
This is an incredibly good cd, with Dan Mccafferty's gritty voice & a very strong band. Manny Charlton's bluesy. gutsy guitar playing is spine tingling. I can't believe they weren't more popular. This is now my favourite cd of all time, shame they are all old geezers now as they could give some of the new bands a run for their money. Timeless & unrelenting rock at its best.
on 14 September 2012
Like many I have loads of albums on vinyl that I don't play any more because I don't have a record deck connected to my hi-fi. Most of them I have on CD but for some reason I'd never bought any Nazareth on CD. This album brought back some good memories, and sounds great at high volume in the car. This is a good sampling of their best work.
on 19 January 2013
Pleased with this CD. One of my favourite bands from my teenage days and it is great to be able to play these songs again.
on 24 September 2013
I have the original 45rpm single of "This Flight to night" and keep on meaning to record it onto my PC, but never get around to it when I saw this whole CD I thought great Lets get it and I was not dissapointed its really good and bought back some fond memories
on 16 April 2008
Nazareth like ther bands before Uriah Heep etc only found themselves the butt of many jokes by the UK press over so many comparisons with other legendary acts before they hit the scene but where warmly appreciated in the US and rest of Europe but this decent best of highlights the emotive tones in Dan McCafferty alcohol nicotened soaked vocals which swings from the rawk to the sensitive as highlighted on bad bad boy and love hurts combined with the effortless guitarsmanship from Jimmy Murrison, steady basslines from Pete Agnew and the effective drumming from the late sweet keeps the band in check which is no surprise they had celebrity fans in Axl Rose who covered hair of the dog for the patchy spaghetti incident album.
on 1 July 2014
I had a hazy recollection of a lot of these tracks, but thought I'd see if it was all rose tinted. Not one bit. Some stormin' tracks I wished hadn't remained quite so distant for so long.
on 10 November 2010
I must admit to not knowing much about this classic rawk band from Scotland but I'm glad that I took the time to find out. The majority of tracks sound great especially when played at high volume and I've caught myself singing the chorus of "Hair of Dog" on more than one occasion. OK the CD does have the odd song that I count as a "clunker" but what compilation CD doesn't?

BG'S Verdict: Anyone who likes AC/DC and classic Rock in general should check this bargain CD out!