on 28 November 2013
This battery expanded causing damage to my Mac Book Pro 17" and rendering the battery useless after 18 months.

I bought it through Amazon from Eletec. I contacted Amazon and they said that because it was bought through a third party they couldn't do anything. I contacted Eletec and heard nothing back.

I've contacted Apple and wasted hours trying to get them to acknowledge any responsibility for this defective product. They will not. Despite this being a common problem with this battery affecting a huge number of their customers.

This is the third battery I have bought for this computer, all have suffered the same fate.

I am a very good customer of Apple's, and this is yet another example of their decline over recent times in customer service, and I'm disgusted by their attitude.

Only buy it if you have to, and if you do, then don't expect it to last, and when it expands and fails after an unacceptably short amount of time, don't expect any sympathy let alone a refund or replacement from Apple or Eletec.
on 10 February 2014
After carefully using the battery of my Macbook Pro 17, without any warning and just after 200 cycles the battery expanded and came apart almost damaging the laptop. This is not a single occurence since there lots of people describing the exact same battery defect online. Never did I face a similar problem with other electronic devices (laptop and tablet) I use much more casually and often. Apple ought to provide better batteries with what is considered to be a premium device...
on 24 December 2009
My 17 MBP battery has just succumbed to the widespread problem associated with these batteries - namely that they swell up, expand and split open. If you do any sort of google search you will find a lot of people complaining about this - to the point of the battery actually exploding and catching fire, almost causing a house fire. I know that apple had a product recall on some MBP batteries, and I checked mine to see if it was one of those affected - but it wasn't included in the list of model numbers apple provided. Which would suggest that apple didn't think there was anything wrong with the model number of my battery (A1189). The battery has had 92 cycles only - it is supposed to last 500 cycles.

The amount of complaints about these batteries ia vast across the web, and it seems that apple are not doing enough to address customers honest concerns for what is clearly a manufacturing defect. All we can do as consumers is warn others who may not know this and hope that apple sit up and take notice eventually and actually make sure this matter is fixed.
1010 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2012
It seems to be a genuine Apple product, complete with the usual protective strips of sticky plastic. Capacity is reported to be 6893 mAh, conditional "normal", cycle count 7 - so all good. I ordered the battery for my 2007 17" MacBook Pro.
on 27 May 2013
The battery arrived in not perfect conditions as it is already starting to 'pop' out of its shell. Definitely has been used before or badly maintained. I don't hate it as it is functioning but the price and the description of the product vs the product itself ain't right.
on 16 November 2013
even though everything was a match unfortunately couldn't make it fit, maybe my macpro has something in the uilt or distorted the shape with heat. The company took it back and refunded me,brilliant service and the product looks and feel identical to the original (probably is...)
on 4 March 2012
Never in my life have I had as many problems with regards to my Macbook pro battery. It has swollen twice already and this is clearly a design flaw. No other batteries swell to make their product in danger of being damaged, let alone put the user in danger as it may expand and explode or leak chemicals. This happened to me twice after about 280 charge cycles when it should have at least 500 charge cycles. Apple refused to replace this battery out of warranty when it is their fault due to the battery's clear and dangerous design flaw. This is disgraceful and they should have replaced mine for free. This does not deserve even one star.
on 11 July 2010
This product arrived quickly but was the 15" not the 17" as ordered.
It was not an original apple product.

I did get a full refund including all postage, but it was a lot of hassle and took some time to complete!
on 22 January 2013
The battery didn't last as much as expected. It does last long before you need to charge it again, but if you are ok with maximum 1:30hr battery then go for it.
on 11 June 2013
Buying this battery has preserved my MacBook laptop and kept it running ever since the original went up the swanney. Life-saver!