Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 March 2007
I am one of these people who listens to a new album all the way through before forming an opinion on it. Depending on how much I like the album in question, it will remain in my CD player until something else comes along that grabs my interest. This album was in my CD player for around five months!

The album has been criticised greatly for being too different from previous releases, but I have come to expect that from lostprophets. Their previous release 'Start Something' was vastly different from their debut, and therefore, I cannot see why most people seem so shocked by the direction this record has taken.

'Liberation Transmission' itself is a wonderful piece of musical genius. The opening track sweeps you off your feet and you don't find yourself touching the ground again until the record has finished playing. Each of the 12 tracks are a marvel in their own right; thus proving, once again, that the Welsh rockers in question don't know the meaning of the term 'album fillers'. The only complaint I have is that, at around 49 minutes in length, the 'Liberation Transmission' experience is over far too quickly.
on 13 January 2014
There is not one song on this album I don't like! Each song I feel adds its own little piece to the album and it's just one of those CD's that you can put on and feel pumped from the first song. To be honest I don't have a favourite song in this album... I tried to find one looking down the list but each song I go over has its own thing that makes it epic - All the songs are epic! Buy this album and just enjoy some simply brilliant music. I will say my CD came with the inside album cover stuck together in the bottom right hand corner, which caused some damage to the paper when I almost had to tear it apart. I didn't rate the product lower for this because I'm assuming it's just a one off but I thought I'd mention it just in case anyone else did experience this. Just a quick note on Ian: yeah he's sick and it's a horrible shame. However, I don't think that this detracts from the fact that this is really, really good music - it was before we all found out and it still is after.
on 4 September 2006
Some people just don't like it when other's 'discover' thier favourite bands, foerever whinging on about 'liking them first', 'going mainstream' and 'selling out'. It's sad really, when you consider that if you really like a band that, technically, you should want them to succeed. The Lostprophets are no exception to the rule, peddling riffage that transcended skate parks to metal clubs whilst finding a niche in the cool kids cd collections. The Lostprophets were a, gasp, nu-metal (ish) band it was ok to like.

Debut album 'fakesoundofprogress' was recorded for about 2 quid before the Newport lads were signed, it was swiflty polished up, re-recorded, re-released and re-marketed before the gel on their asymetric hairstyles had set.

Start Something saw the band adopt a more accessible style that garnered them, shock horror, critical and commercial success, sold bucket loads and then the wheels fell off. Music buyers got sick of emo's over-earnest whining, nu-metal became more and more of a parody and the Lostprophets suddenly were no longer 'hip'. Whatever the hell that means anymore.

Liberation Transmission is essentially Start Something Mach 2, its vibrant, bold and loud. It has more hooks than an olympic curtain hanging contest and crucially its 'balls out' fun. Singles 'Rooftops' and 'Can't Catch Tommorrow' are so insanely feelgood catchy that they should be listened to whilst wearing a bio-hazard suit. The razor sharp melodies are still present and correct, Watkin's vocals are as strident as they ever were, and yes, even if the newer, more streamlined version of the Lostprophets never quite reach the ferocity of 'Kobraki' they are a damn fine band with damn fine tunes.

So, instead of moping around, crying into your milk and cookies about when you saw your 'favourite group' in a pub with 8 other regulars, strap a dirty great smile on your face and be pleased that, even if someone else has the same t-shirt as you, the Lostprophets are still about and are still (and this is surely the most important thing) pretty bloody good.
on 11 July 2006
Owning both previous Lostprophets CD's and not particularly liking Rooftops, I listened to Liberation today and I'm not sure that I really like it.

I can understand why the album is number 1 in the album charts, most of the tracks are catchy, but not my sort of thing at all.

" Town Called Hypocrisy" reminds me of Bloc Party.

No doubt Lostprophets will get the chart recognition they crave but at what expense? quite a few bands have followed the same road by releasing mainstream albums to cater to the current chart (Funeral for a Friend, INME)and have not done so well.

Fairplay to them, if this is the direction Lostprophets want to go in I hope it works out for them.

Maybe Liberation will grow on me in time, who knows?
on 30 November 2006
Regardless of whether you are an avid fan or just interested in the band, this album is just absolutety fantastic!!!

There are some amazing songs on this album ranging from the classic 'Rooftops' to 'Can't catch tommorow'. Definately one of the best albums of 2006.

And if all that dosen't make you want to buy it, then at least listen to A town called Hypocrisy, great catchy tune and the video rocks!!!
on 18 July 2006
To be fair, MUSICALLY I should have given this album one more star. However it depends if you are talking about simply the quality of the music or LOSTPROPHETS.

If some people thought that the firey, original formula from FSOP seemed a little diluted on Start Something, then those people must think that it's been drowned in a giant resevoir for the creation of Liberation Transmission.

Perhaps because of the SLIGHT decline in appreciation for the second album, Lostprophets appear to have played a "saftey" by trying to create an album pandering to the biggest current musical trends. This results in something that sounds like an ATTEMPT to go somewhere inbetween My Chemical Romance and Mcfly. If further proof is needed, watch the video for "Rooftops" - The bands outfits and the teenagers used in the video almost cry out "Look! Scene-kids, we love you! Please buy our album!!".

I hate the term "sell out" as it's usually used as soon as someone's favourite band makes a commercialy accecible record. This is nonsense as usually it's just a natural progression of the band's sound. Also, if the band are making music they care about, who cares if other people like it?! Sadly in this case neither scenario seems to ring true. It feels more like Lostprophets deciding they'd rather be liked by the masses for making music that isn't really them, than be loved by a few for staying true to themselves.

So, as I said: Musically - 4. As a Lostprophets album - 3 (and thats being generous).
on 15 June 2006
WOW! There's so many favourite tracks in this album. For those who love "Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast)", will love EVERY other track in this album.

None of these tracks are let-downs, all of them are amazing. Lostprophets have out-done their previous album by far!

The band introuduce more group-singing in this album (as proven in "Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast)").

My personal favourites are:

"Broken Hearts, Torn Up Letters and the Story of a Lonely Girl"

"Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast)"

"For All These Times Kid, For All These Times"

(NOTE: The ONLY difference between the IMPORT (American) and the English version is the name: "For All These Times Kid, For All These Times" = English, and it says 'Son' instead of 'Kid' for the IMPORT.)

Overall though, I can't believe how much effort and amazing work went into this album! Great work, guys!

MUST BUY.
on 10 July 2006
Okay. This is in no way a terrible album, and I am not disappointed. It's just not what I was hoping for. Whatever the prophets are doing, they're doing it very well. I am a huge fan of Fake Sound of Progress and Start Something. Those are very hard alternative cds. Fake Sound had "shinobi vs dragonninja," of course, "kobrakai," "handsome life of swing," and others. Start Something had "burn burn," "to hell we ride," and "start something." The only 'hard' song on Liberation Transmission is the first track, "Everyday Combat." There are some stand out tracks like "4 am forever" and "a town called hypocrisy."

Overall, this new album is a lot more "poppy" and upbeat, and I am not liking it yet.

Anyway for all the new prophets fans, pick this up becuase you will like it. For all you veteran fans out there... you might be disappointed.
on 2 July 2007
Hmmm, Lostprophets were 100% honest about this album, it is designed to sell bucket loads. A pop rock extravaganza is what they set out to make, and it's what I got when I bought it.
So is it any good? well when it's good its good when its not its average, just a little too average. Although more consistant than previous album it still isn't as good. This is a solid pop rock album, not spectacular, not arty or deep, but it does what it does well.
First Single Rooftops has an over simplistic chorus and misses the mark a little, it actually put me off buying the album.
Town called hypocrisy is one of the highlights, it shoul dhave been the lead off single.
on 20 August 2006
I bought this album after thoroughly enjoying the first 2 albums. A few comments I heard were that "They're music used to be good, but now they've changed and they're crap" etc but so what if they've changed or not, its still ace music!! I had faith in my prophets and they came through for me, not a disappointment at all!

All the songs are well written with catchy rhythms and clever riffs, definitely an excellent addition to the first 2 albums.

If you're not a LP fan then buy this album and I can guarantee that you will be afterwards.