Customer reviews

Deliverance
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 September 2013
Deliverance is Opeth's sixth studio album, following the band's highly successful 2001 album, Blackwater Park. It was recorded between 22nd July and 4th September 2002, at the same time as Damnation, which was released the following year. The two albums contrast starkly with one another, purposely dividing the band's two most prevalent styles, as Deliverance is considered to be one of the band's heaviest albums, whereas Damnation experiments with a much mellower progressive rock-influenced sound.

The band originally intended for Deliverance and Damnation to be released as a double album, but the record company eventually decided against this and released them separately, approximately five months apart from one another in order to promote them properly. The track "Master's Apprentices" was named after the Australian hard/progressive rock group The Masters Apprentices. The track "For Absent Friends" (the only instrumental piece and the only short track on Deliverance) was named after a song of the same name, originally appearing on the album Nursery Cryme by English progressive rock group Genesis. At the end of "By the Pain I See in Others", the final note fades slowly and ends at 10:38. Silence follows until 11:58, followed by two reversed verses from "Master's Apprentices" at 12:19 and 13:15. The iTunes Store names "Master's Apprentices" and "By the Pain I See in Others" in the wrong order.

Like all of their other albums, Opeth's 2002 album Deliverance is an absolute must to buy for all music lovers in that it has the usual variety of musical styles and is considered to be one of the heaviest albums by the Swedish metallers. Very highly recommended.
on 31 August 2012
Upon first listen of this album my thoughts were, "Oh my god this is amazing!" and it just keeps getting better with every listen.

Track 1, Wreath, is a brilliant opening track and brutal as hell. The brutality continues into the title track, an epic 13 and a half minuter which has, in my opinion, the greatest Opeth riff ever written at the end of it. To be honest I would recommend this album for that riff alone it will keep you head banging for hours and hours.
Track 3, A Fair Judgement kills the brutality to fully show off Mikael Akerfeldt's brilliant singing voice and gives the growling (and the headbanging) a break. Well the head banging not so much as it still gets pretty heavy in places, the end of this track also having a brilliant riff. For Absent Friends, classic Opeth short instrumental filler, nice acoustic track to get you ready for the mind-blowingly heavy track Masters Apprentices. This is one of Opeth's finest tracks ever written, heavy as hell with a nice acoustic middle that shows no signs of turning heavy again, no progression back into the growling death vocals, and then boom goes straight from one to the other, smacking you square in the face in the progress.
The final track By The Pain I See in others is yet another brutal heavy epic Opeth song, complete with some of the best acoustic guitar work on the album in my view.

Overall, this album keeps getting better and better with every listen. I would fully recommend this (along with Blackwater Park) as the albums to get if you are starting to get into Opeth. No filler tracks at all on this album, even the filler is hardly a filler!
on 13 September 2015
Great product fast delivery
on 17 September 2015
Certainlydelivers
on 26 November 2015
A brilliant album for any progressive metal fan
on 2 September 2013
Good album, fave band, some amazing tracks and great accompanying artwork along side it.
Not much else to really say :)
on 12 May 2009
What I love about Opeth is that they are like no other band on earth. There is noone close to what they do. And whilst I acknowledge other amazing bands as being on par with them, there is noone to compete with them, and if there was Opeth would still be head and shoulders better.
Another amazing thing about Opeth is that none of their fans can agree on what album is best. Whilst Blackwater Park is touted as their 'classic', and don't get me wrong, it is incredible, Opeth manage an amazing consistency on all their albums.
This isn't my favourite, but it's still phenomenal. It took me a little while to get into, but was so worth it, as it always is.

Whilst I read that Wreath is Mickael Akerfelt's least favourite Opeth track it has really grown on me recently, and I would say it is one of my favourite tracks on the album. Deliverance is the real masterpiece on here though, over 13 minutes in length and with amazing riffs throughout and great vocals. Oh, and a drumbeat to die for at the end. Perfection.
A Fair Judgement is a bit lighter in terms of the intruments and vocals, but is another great song, lesser known, but fantastic nonetheless.
For Absent Friends is a short instumental that provides a break before the band launch back into their death/prog assault on Master's Apprentices and By The Pain I See In Others is another solid track.
They don't really write bad songs, the arrangement is complex yet listenable, and they are truly some of the most competent musicians in the world.

I saw them live recently at Hammerfest 09, and they were staggering. The crowd reaction is odd, as people don't really mosh to Opeth, they just stand and stare in awe! But it's good to be able to appreciate a band that trancends the boundaries of metal, folk and so many others without having to leap around, not that I'm against moshing obviously.

As one band said the following day "Did anyone here see Opeth last night? It makes us all want to just go home and give in."
Whilst being a funny start to their set it was also very poignant, as it is totally true. Opeth are unbeatable at what they do, and I hope they continue making music for as long as they can.
on 13 April 2013
This album is one of Opeths more Heavy albums it contains 6 songs and Two of them are totally awesome one of them is acoustic and one is kind of a filler type acoustic thing one is Sublimley heavy and one is just normal with a wierd ending.

Master's Apprentices and Deliverance are my two favourite tracks from this album Masters Apprentices Opens up with a Massive Riff that alot of bands would probably kill for and some REALLY gutteral Vocals and Awesome drumming, Deliverance on the other hand Opens up with an Very CAcophonic phrase that keeps on going to the point it is unsettling before stopping and going in to one of the most Hauntingly Beautiful phrases EVER.

This albums sounds absolutley stunning on vinyl as well very nice HOWEVER the copy I got was brand new but came with Damaged sleeves which was a bit annoying/ disappointing. but it is ok it sits happyil on my vinyl shelf with my other opeth albums
on 23 June 2011
Personally, this is my favourite Opeth Album so far. I love their dynamics and the atmosphere they create when you're on one of their epic journeys is astounding! I think they are probably one of the only bands I can honestly say that have the perfect balance of mood changes in their music, but Deliverance is the real scorcher from the flamethrower arsenal they have. I love the heavier stuff on here, because they create it so effortlessly and perfectly, and musically its so intricate and mesmurizing, it never grows dull, much like their other albums. The final track is one of my favourites, but all of the album is virtually perfect in my opinion.
Although everyone seems to love Blackwater Park the most, I would say this is a more straightforward album, having it's Opeth stamp of twists and turns, but more accessable and heavier.
I just hope Heritage can live up to Deliverance standards but I would be happy with a mixture of Still Life, Watershed, and Deliverance, possibly the best example of all their influences in three albums..
on 15 November 2012
This is often thought of as the bands heaviest album. However I don't think this particularly myself. I do feel the heavy parts are heavier than normal but there are plenty of soft acoustic parts and the song Deliverance also has one of the bands most beautiful melodies ever, so melancholic. it also ends in the most excellent break down ever too.
the album has some very calm moments too. Masters Apprentices has the most hardy rememberable riffs. It is heavy and crushing and reminds me of some older bands style riffs.
truly excellent album.