Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 March 2017
Some great songs .... a progression to later greatness on the more recent albums
on 22 April 2009
Having been an Opeth fan for several years,I have started to collect all their albums on vinyl,after their recent re-release.THis isnt a review of the album itself,which if you are reading this,will probably know is superb,but the quality of the vinyl .THis is released on "proper" 180 g double lp,and the sound is amazing.The depth of the bass and the musicianship shines through and puts my cd version to shame.I must stress that both versions are played on top-notch deck and player,but the vinyl version wins hands down!When the needle hits the groove of "Windowpane" ,I was astounded at what an incredible job Koch/Music for Nations had done.THis is the quality that people who download etc just miss out on.Buy this release with confidence! Jusy put in my order for Deliverance/Blackwater Park,assuming they will be as good pressings.
THe album itself is fantastic,and if you are new to Opeth,but a fan of good quality rock/metal---start here.
on 24 August 2016
This album is in my top 3 favourites. Record and packaging very good too.
on 30 August 2005
This is my favourite Opeth album. The music sounds like it's always been around but yet somehow Opeth make it sound ethereal. Lovely lyrics and a variety of sounds blended together to make molten musical heaven. An album to get lost in. If I had more than two thumbs I'd hold them all up. But I don't. So two for Opeth.
on 26 April 2017
Awesome, awesome, awesome!! Cannot stop listening, one of the most beautiful albums I have had the pleasure of listening too.
on 19 February 2006
I'd listened to Opeth before, mostly on video media, and this was the first album I got hold of of theirs. It's a lot mellower than I expected it to be. There's no death, it's all prog, but so well-crafted there aren't really any moments where it lags. This is already one of my favourite rock albums - I've regained my faith that good, original rock music can still be written. I honestly can't think of any better rock album from the last decade, one of those which you listen to and think, every single one of those songs was genius. It's probably the subtlest album I own too, though at the same time there are some complex structures and new sounds here which make it psychadelic and almost hypnotic. A truly great and unique band are Opeth. I defy anyone who's into contemporary music, no matter how hardcore, to dislike this album.
on 8 October 2009
As a fan of Opeths heavier side, (and brutal death metal in general) I approached this album with much caution as acoustics and clean vocals have never been my kind of thing. However, after a couple of listens I was shocked to hear just how eerie and twisted this band this can be, in fact the songs that compile "Damnation" have a much darker quality than that of say, "Orchid". This album is (in my opinion) a real masterpiece in the fact that appeals to so many listeners whether you are into Prog, Rock, Jazz or metal such as myself. Dont get me wrong it's not the ideal place to start if you are thinking of giving Opeth a try, (for that you will need "still life" or "Morningrise") however after discovering the basics of this band you will find "Damnation" to become a real gem in your Opeth collection.

Standouts: "Closure", "Windowpane".
I was never a massive fan of Opeth's material, having listened to the "Arms" album, but I bought this and I was blown away.
Ok so first off it's a massive departure from the usual Opeth offerings but a welcome break and I congraulate the record company for having faith in their artist to release it.
The album basically consists of 8 semi-acoustic tracks, the clarity of which really allows the musicians to show their talent. If you think Alice in Chains unplugged but without the live pressure and audiance. This album is absolutly perfect for that wind-down on a Sunday morning drive the morning-after-the-night-before after a major hardcore gig. The slow pace and beautifully crafted songs really make you feel good, that's not to say Opeth have lost that dark edge, the lyrics themselves are as dark as any Goth's dream, wonderfully depressing!
So highlights for me have to be the wonderfully melodic first track "Windowpane" and the very ominous "To Rid the Disease" with it's hideously "Tell-Tale Heart" bass-line that drills into your brain.
If your a hardcore metal fan and you appreciate that musicians sometimes need to slow down and get that garbage out of their heads, get this album. Get it for those moments when the amps need to be unplugged and lights put down, but you still need a dark driving heart in your music.
At the moment, I can't get through my day without a quick blast of this album!
on 8 February 2009
If you like some jazz, blues, unplugged sesions, and good spaced-out santana vibes THIS album is for you.

Put the CD on, light the candles and incense, switch off the lights get yourself a glass of wine and enjoy the music.
on 23 April 2003
Firstly, the amazon review is right- Opeth have said that Damnation is 'softer' but still has elements of the light/heavy trademark Opeth style, but it must be said that compared to Deliverence, the two are chalk and cheese- albeit chalk and cheese that go well together- if you know Blackwater Park (and you should!)- you will know what i am talking about.
The songs are beautifully crafted, full of atmosphere, have a distinct haunting quality, and are just so adept at hitting you right where they intend to. The highlight to me is the second track 'In my time of need'- the chorus is pure genius.
To be honest there is little more to say, to all music lovers, metal or not, who like dark, honest, atmospheric music i can't recommend this album enough.