Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 July 2017
Brilliant album
on 30 August 2017
Amazing album, and great service
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 April 2015
The first time I heard the beat driven, number one hit 'I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair)' ten years ago, I really didn't like it, but it grew on me fairly quickly. I then bought Scottish Sandi Thorn's debut album 'Smile... It Confuses People', and was pleasantly surprised. Also on here is the follow-up single 'What If I'm Right', a lesser hit but a far superior song.

Sandi has a very good voice, and her songs are mostly happy, uplifting, yet often cynical. The music varies into a range of different styles, from folk to rock to country to alternative, but throughout it all, her clever songwriting remains consistent. 'Lonely Girl' is a particular standout, a slow, story-telling love song that was released as the third single, but surprisingly failed to gain a chart placing.

Please don't judge 'Smile... It Confuses People' on the 'Punk Rocker' hit, she is so much more than just the one song. Sandi is a raw talent and good storyteller, but don't just take my word for it, buy the album, hearing is believing.
on 1 May 2007
i bought this album back when "i wish i was a punk rocker" was first released, after only hearing the song once. its not very often i go and buy an album based on hearing one song but the chance really really paid off this time.

i absolutely LOVE this album; Sandi Thom's voice, songwriting and style are unmatched in anything i've heard previous or since, she stands out from the crowd. her music appeals to all ages (i'm 21, i lent the cd to my dad n he liked so much that i got it for him for his birthday). and its very geuine, i've heard her recorded-live tracks from her basement and she really is as good as on the album. i'd love to see her live. the back story to this album just makes it more endearing, and you know that she was writing the songs for her not because it was what sells.

if you like KT Tunstall, Corinne Bailey Rae or Katie Melua then you'll like Sandi Thom.
on 7 February 2008
This album is lovely, nice mix of lively and slower songs, and Sandi has an amazing voice. What If I'm Right is my favourite personally as I think is the same for many people.

I know people got fed up when her song was played ALL the time but really thats not her fault thats the DJ of the radio station. And as for people dissing the whole "webcam and bedroom" malarkey - why don't you go and try the same thing and come up with a successful number one single and a great album.... its probably much harder than you think.

Love this album, buy it - tis a treat for your ears!!!
on 16 June 2006
I, too, saw Sandi Thom's TOTP performance of "I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker..." and thought: "My! A decent new artist at last!" So I bought the album when it came out - most unlike me; I usually listen to them first in HMV.

The opening track was quite reasonable (despite starting like it was a rip-off of one of K T Tunstall's tracks from "Eye to the Telescope"). Then we get the single ("I Wish I Was &c.") - all still good.

Sadly, from that point onwards the album descended into pop mediocrity. Tight musicianship and well-produced, but boring. I was very disappointed, and annoyed I had been suckered by the media hype. The album, folks, is distinctly average and unremarkable - industry pop, and nothing at all in the vein of "I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker...", which is the best track by a country mile.

Trust me - I've given this album a lot of my time, and several airings. My opinion hasn't changed. If you like bland average pop, buy it. If it's something special you're looking for, avoid this album.

In fact, buy something recorded in '77 or '69 instead.
on 3 March 2008
I heard this on a myspace profile, and fell in love with the songs at once. She just has a simply amazing voice, and one that you don't get bored of. This CD is just so warm and happy. It makes me smile :)
on 1 September 2006
When i first heard Sandi Thom, i absolutely hated her. With a few listens to the huge #1 I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker, i was beginning to soften to her. After listening to the cd, wow! - i am hooked - this cd should be platinum status by now, so what if her career was hyped by a webcam in her bedroom - how else does someone get noticed these days,it worked well for Sandi - and im glad. Castles, as just gotta come out as a single with its adorable vocal arrangement. This cd, infected me on its first listen, and i think Sandi should/will develop an Alanis Morissette status, she has got that witty but sensitive lyric writing form. Anybody dissing this cd, should go and try what Sandi has done and come out with a #1 single. What If I'm Right, should also be huge. Already people in the UK, dont like Sandi Thom - pathetic, because she is something different and lets face it UK people are scared of change. Well, i love her - i love her music, her lyrics, her vocal. I adore everything about this cd. I beg you too buy it and give it a listen, i vow you will not be disappointed - far superior to Christina Aguilera's latest offering.
on 31 July 2006
I like this album. Sandi's got a great pop voice and she uses it well. The tunes are generally catchy and punchy which is a safe bet for a first album - save the soul searching stuff for later! My one critisism is the band is boring. There're no solos, no rifs, no instrumentals - the whole thing relies entirely on Sandi's good voice. Album number 2 definitely needs something a little more interesting from the band.
on 30 August 2006
Some of the reviews below I think are unfair. This album is fun, it has some nice tracks and Sandi Thom can clearly belt out a good song. My only complaint is that it does only have ten tracks though so it could have been a bit longer. I would also agree that the band could show off a bit more and do some solo's or even Sandi herself could when she is playing an instrument. Still not a bad album, give it a chance.