on 8 October 2016
We had these when I worked in a school, but to be honest I never had enough time to really make progress with the strugglers for all the usual reasons! Now having broken free and tutoring privately, I have lots of children who struggle with maths. I get great results using hands-on resources but having had a child recently diagnosed with Dyscalculia and some others possibly similar, I bought the Ronit Bird book. I decided to try these as she recommends them and wow! Very interesting! I've only had them a week and have tried them with four or five kiddies and we love them. They are very revealing (I'm a detective when looking for gaps) and they brought out tons of conversation. They really are limitless. The kiddies caught on right away that the red was worth two etc and because it's only a small pack we naturally needed to use other rods to make up the numbers so they are learning more all the time. I absolutely love them. I didn't want plastic as I love tactile resources and wood is much nicer. I've ordered the Numicon number line as apparently they fit and I feel I need this to really help. I really can't praise them enough. The only problem is that the set is too small for me, I want 10 10's, so I'm going to buy a bigger set. My other complaint is that the tray is rubbish. The edges are rounded inside, so the rods don't go to the edge and sit right! I e binned the box and bought a big zip up bag from the Pound Shop. Can't wait to use them again next week. Just Fab!
on 11 March 2015
Nothing else does the job of making numbers into visuals like these things do. Inspired. The exercises in the booklet make it possible to play mathematical games...the trains exercise was especially good. I got to see kids grasp the idea of a number being divisible or not by another number. The sticks have play value too after the work is done.
review image
on 15 February 2013
I wasn't sure what these were or how to use them; but the concept appealed to me in that it allows explanation of multiple maths concepts using a very simple tool. The cost was very reasonable so I bought them to "try out".
Having played around & read the information book I can see these are going to be a great help for my daughters for years to come!
Would have been 5 stars - but the rods are small ... perhaps I didn't read the description correctly but the smallest rod is 1 cm in length and less than that width & height.
I will however be using them lots.
5* Delivery - was well packaged & very prompt :)
on 8 November 2014
Very disappointed in the quality. The edges of the wooden blocks were extremely rough and splintery. There was a large splinter I removed from one block and there were numerous smaller splinters which caught the skin when handling the blocks. Unsafe to use.
VINE VOICEon 3 March 2014
This is a versatile set of Cuisenaire Rods, in a good selection of lengths and bright colours. Cuisenaire rods have various functions in teaching and learning. They are of course good for visualising arithmetic. But they can also be used in language teaching, to represent syllables and stresses. This is a sturdy set that should prove pretty indestructable.
on 4 March 2017
Basic traditional learning aid to help give children an understanding of the meaning of "place value". It was good when I was a child and it is still good now, demonstrating that the simplest ideas are usually the best.
on 20 April 2017
Good for what it does but not enough rods for which however I blame myself (though for number of rods supplied perhaps a bit pricey)! Should have ordered a set with more pieces! Very good introduction to literally playing with numbers and I remember Cuisenaire rods from when I was young or very young. My very first school used them.
on 23 September 2014
Cheap packaging, cheap extruded plastic from a cheap mould so that the sides are bowed, alignment suffers as a result, which matters if you are showing the children multiplication, square roots etc. Plastic rods made by Cuisenaire are much more accurately made and have a nice weight to them making it easier for the child to distinguish between them by touch.
on 17 March 2017
Another great aid for adding numbers, visual tool for showing his numbers bond for tens. I.e. Place 2 and 8 alongside the 10.
on 2 October 2016
I already have one set of these but needed another to increase the number of red 2 and yellow 5 rods. It would be useful to be able to buy books of detailed activities, such as how to multiply or divide with large numbers, as I know that you can do quite advanced maths tasks with Cuisenaire rods, once you know how! These rods are good quality and I may even buy some more!