on 5 December 2014
Oh so addictive. This game in GBA version was one of my favourite games next to Pokemon and it consumed hours of my life. I got it again because I've been stressed lately and found this game to be an enjoyable, methodical timesink to use as a stress reliever. It is very fun, you do build up slowly.

The premise, you own a farm with a set of tools, enough seeds for a small back garden and a can do attitude. You have to turn that into a thriving multi billion pound business (profit margins and costs are insane in this game). You build up year by year getting more land, getting more products, better products and then chickens, then cows etc. The game is very non linear, if you have the money then you can get whatever you want. There are only a few very sensible requirements like having access to home improvement facilities before you start expanding your home, or having an animal shed before you buy a cow.

There are some issues:

1. can get a bit grindtastic, it gets very repetitive in places when you are trying to make money and the rounds drain all your stamina so you can't do anything else for the rest of the day
2. some things are very hard to get hold of and weird logic for example certain types of ores and tools which are non essential you will need to look up online how to get them
3. the game can on occasion be a tad unfair. I had a three day torrential storm and all my crops and livestock were killed when they were safe in their shed because I didn't use the right building material. The game wouldn't let me leave the house in a storm. This has only happened once but the game can have some serious teeth.

If i had the choice of this vs friends of mineral town for GBA I would do GBA but since I can get both this is enjoyable too.
on 13 May 2010
So this is my 2nd attempt to review this product, as I decided to give it a second chance! My original review gave it 2 fun stars and 2 overall stars, so it has certainly been upped since then.

Basically I still think this game isn't quite as good as the SNES one, as there are lots of little things that annoy me. But having now played it for a week or so, I have to say I'm addicted. I have now got to the point that it's 4.30 am and I'm still playing, even though my eyes are dropping and my hands can barely hold up the DS.

So there is a lot more to do in this game, some of which is good fun (like the mines, although a bit tricky at first) and some of which is kind of rubbish.

I would still say that there is far too much that isn't explained to you. Yes, the harvest sprite tv station explains everything in great detail, which is very helpful, but some of the festivals are a bit vague, sometimes they don't tell you when there is a festival, so you miss it, or one happens, but you don't know what to do (such as the sweet festival). So I think only attempt this game with a really good guide, which luckily, i have found! Otherwise I couldn't play this at all.

So other issues are how long it takes someone to like you! Especially the girls! To make some of them the presents they want, you need to have things like a cooker, which takes forever, I still don't have one, I'm desperately waiting for it (and the tv & dvd player) to show up on the sprites shopping channel, and the things that give them +300 affection are easy enough to get, but they just don't give enough affection to make things progress at any great speed.

The other issue I have is with builiding buildings... you can buy the materials to build the houses, good! But unless for some miraculous reason you are a super farmer very early on (and you probably wont be in your first try!), this costs a fortune, and you find that you will have very little left for anything else! There are littles flukes to help you get lots of money fast though.

One last problem is getting hold of Vesta who sells the more intersting seeds, like treeds and mushrooms. I can never get her to be available to sell them, so I think this was a mistake in the game.

But after all that ranting I must say that actually, this game isn't half bad! Ok, it is rather monotonous and repetative, but it sucks you in until you realise you don't want to be doing anything else. So it's excellent as a time waster, but you need to give it a bit of time before you get into the swing of things, and to work out how to do everything.

So in conclusion, I will say this is actually a really good, addictive game. easy to pick up and play, then put down again if you are in a rush, but also great for wasting several hours! So I recommend this, if you are willing to put some time into it.
on 1 July 2016
It's decent introduction for the first ds HM game. It's really a 2D version of forget-me-not valley. With new bachelorettes, Lumina the daughter from the mansion all grown up. Then the magical girls: Leia a mermaid who is inside the basement of Daryell, Keria a sleeping beauty inside the 255th floor of the 3rd mine, Witch Princess and the Harvest Goddess (you nees to rescue 60 sprites).
I didn't like the idea of rescuing 60 sprites to get married. It will require constant grinding. It's probably introduced to stop players zooming through the game. It does use the touch screen, petting your animals, brushing, milking and shearing.
You've got more room in your bag now instead the same item being in different slot now all in the same slots e.g. 99 weeds.
on 29 April 2015
Arrived quickly and in perfect condition. I know Harvest Moon is a bit of a kiddie game, but it is a guilty pleasure of mine and I still enjoy relaxing after a stressful day by pottering around my little farm. Don't knock it until you've tried it!
on 26 October 2015
Top notch game, worked perfectly for me.
Mind you that this is the European version of the game, so the Sprite Casino only has the Card Matching game, not the Poker or Blackjack games, meaning that extorting the sprite casino out of those sweet sweet coins will take more effort and more time, since the Poker and Blackjack is so easy.
on 26 June 2010
A little frustrating to start with, not bad when you get going however it is long winded and the working days tend to fly past little too quick. The game is not straight forward to understand ( unless you are an avid gamer) and I would not recommend it to a young child under 5 years. Buying sheds and stables for your farm is very expensive and therefore takes you for ever to get any and until you have these you cannot buy any animals. On the whole a light hearted game and fairly amusing!
on 28 August 2015
Yes it's bugged. The worse is you can lose your dog and never get him back. But it's still a half decent harvest moon.
on 24 February 2011
Harvest Moon is a great game for teenage girls and boys. You start off my naming your character, your pets and what you want to call your farm. You can then grow crops in your farm - crops differ depending what time of year it is in the game - you can give gifts to people living in Mineral Town, upgrade your house, raise animals and so on. Overall this game is fun and addictive, and is really good for long car journeys. Definitely recommend buying if you are an animal crossing fan!
on 8 September 2013
Just how I remembered the game, I couldn't put it down when I got it and it's really taken me back to my gaming days =P
on 17 May 2015
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse