Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 April 2017
Saw Tim with the Carthys a few years ago at a theatre in Lincoln. He played a few of these songs. The album is very good, all the tracks are well played.
VINE VOICEon 14 April 2008
I bought this after hearing the beautifully willowy Barleycorn on the radio one evening. This stunning opener captivates you, the perfect blend of traditional lyrics fused with rousing string arrangements.
Van Eyken's approach is brave. He blends traditional compositions with elements taken from rock and even jazz. "Gypsy Maid," with that pinging bass string is a fine example of Van Eyken's approach.
I doesn't all work. Fair Ellen of Ratcliffe sounds a bit cluttered with the guitars and strings all merging together.
This is a fine combination of sensitive folk numbers and up tempo jigs, A welcome new voice.
on 24 September 2010
I share the views of the other reviewers. This is a very good album, well recorded so it works well on a good hi fi producing a great big sound stage. Barleycorn is a fine song (I first heard it sung in 1970 by Martin Carthy so Tim's somewhere about the same age as Martin was then, Tim's also been a member of Waterson/Carthy so it is no surprise that there is some crossover of style). 12 Joys of Mary is the standout track for me. It starts slowly with drums/percussion provided by Pete Flood of Bellowhead fame (see Hedonism for their latest offering) it soon builds a driving rhythm with Tim's Accordion coming to the fore and when we get to the eighth joy trumpets, trombone and tuba join in and my spirit soars!
on 19 August 2009
When I first listened I wasn't sure, but each listening is better. Some tracks are outstanding - Young Alvin and 12 Joys are magnificent, and (unlike another reviewer) I also liked Fair Ellen. Babes in the Wood and Fisherman (a reworking of the 60's Hart/Prior version) aren't as good, in my mind, but it's all a matter of taste I guess.

The voice is excellent, and wholly under control... only thing that amazes me is how nearly identical it is to Martin Carthy. Did Tim model himself on Martin, or did they coincidentally happen to come from the same postcode?

I look forward to the next offering.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2008
Quite simply, magical. If you want to have a finger on the pulse of where modern British folk is going, buy this album.
on 10 February 2013
This is one of the CDs that I keep returning to again and again, a sure sign of lasting quality. When oh when are we going to get another Tim Van Eyken effort - soon please!
on 6 December 2015
for "Gypsy Maid" alone. Makes my soul ache.
on 1 January 2017