on 12 December 2016
I think people either love or hate this book... depending on frame of mind while reading. I'd recommend giving it another chance at another time if you can't connect with it. Personally I could come back to this book at different times in my life and take different meaning from certain parts, which makes me enjoy it over and over again :)
on 2 January 2017
I have been looking forward to reading this for quite some time, I've heard wonderful things about it but unfortunately I wasn't that impressed. In actual fact I found it to be quite dull. Yes I get the meaning behind it but that doesn't make it a great book in my eyes. I did, however, like its simplicity. It wasn't an overly detailed, overly gruelling read, it was just a basic tale.
I maybe bought too much into the hype, that could have ruined the story for me. I didn't find any of the characters particularly interesting either. I didn't care about 'the boy' which, to me, isn't great for your main character, especially with a story like this where you should be rooting for the kid. I did however like the crystal merchant but that was only a small part of the book.
Overall, not impressed.
x
on 4 May 2016
I absolutely love this book! I listened to this on Audible at first and fell in love with this fable that is full of timeless wisdom. I decided to purchase the paperback version so that my 9 year old can fully engage with this powerful book. One of her comments though is that in the book they describe Santiago's epic life journey as his destiny, but we both much prefer the term 'personal legend' as it is described on the audio version.
The reason is that the term destiny has many conditioned meanings; whereas the term personal legend gives the reader the autonomy to create their own meaning which isn't dictated by previous learnings.

I'll be buying this for my nieces and nephews too For me it has the power to engage our highest self in a way that embraces our inner child and its boundless energy to dream gargantuan dreams and bring them to life.
on 29 July 2015
Story summary - what you're really looking for is what you already have but you may have to go on a long, tedious and/dangerous journey to realise that this is the case. There - no need to read this rather short and pricey book.

An outplacement consultant got me read this book when I was made redundant. He probably thought that it would help me in some deep, meaningful way. He was wrong and the £2K my old employer paid to this man was wasted and the tenner I spent on the book was also money badly spent (think of feeding starving people in the world as an alternative).

So don't buy the book, as the author is no doubt rich enough, but instead spend the money on a charity of your choice and think happy thoughts.
on 1 February 2017
One of my favourite books and enjoy buying it as a gift to pass onto friends. I will dig out my copy and re-read this classic
on 7 May 2017
A wonderful, philosophical story, beautifully told but full of wonderful insights on how to be true to yourself and live the life you want.
on 23 April 2017
Follow your heart, it already led you to this book. Great read truely inspirational.
on 20 March 2014
I gave this 5 stars because I enjoyed the way it was written and the language used. The messages in the book made me think
and touched a nerve at times bringing about a connection with the deep thoughts of the writer.
I liked the overall message of hope and positivity, and in this age where I feel many people only think of what's best for them, I liked the fact that the hero of the story cared for others and did what was right for them also. he had commitment, trust and determination
which endeared his character to me.
I would recommend this book to anyone who was looking for a deeper meaning to life and who was ready to explore their life with
honesty. We can learn much about ourselves and the world in general from reading this book with an open mind.
on 21 November 2015
Paulo Coelho has written a delightful allegory with a touchingly simple hero, his story being spread on a broad canvas. It is certainly a book which stays with you, and I would recommend it to anyone to read, though I would not perhaps class it among the greats of literature. Stimulated by it I have read a couple more of his books since, and enjoyed them, though I would not say he has quite earned the place he is being given in literary circles at the moment.
on 31 December 2015
I heard a programme on the radio about this book and about how "life changing" it was. Everyone interviewed was so enthusiastic that I decided to find out what all the fuss was about. It was a sweet enough tale, if a little like a children's story book, but I must be missing something because I could not, for the life of me, see how this book was in the least bit inspirational. Perhaps I am just not spiritual enough; too grounded