on 11 February 2017
Very early on, there was mention of an English castle but castles were quite unknown to England before the Norman conquest. And yet again, I find a woeful lack of knowledge of English geography. American authors do not seem to understand the fact that the length of England cannot possibly be covered by a man on a single horse in just a couple of days without killing both!! Decent use of language.
on 3 January 2017
This writer is brilliant! I read books of all genres and yes this is a romantic novel. But that isn't all it is. The characters are so clearly drawn, you see them feel them, empathise. Even the less likable characters have depth and their reasoning is believable. The plot weaves itself around a turbulent time in history, the setting and historical turbulence of the time skilfully explored and described, enabling pictures to be conjured in the minds eye, losing the reader to a story of ,drama, thrills and romance. I read this novel many years ago. It is still one of my favourites. Some of miss Woodiwiss's novels are not worthy of her talent. Eg, the elusive flame. But this and others The Flame and the Flower, Shanna, So Worthy my love are well rounded wonderful reads. I just wish this novelist would be more prolific and all her books on par with this one
on 19 August 2017
I first read this book about 30 odd years ago. I loved it then and I love it still. I forgot the title of the book and the author but never the story. I was overjoyed when I came across in the kindle store.

The main characters are both likable strong individuals who work well together and who you are routing for throughout. Fantastic romance with just the right level of domination by the male lead that allows you to see through to his good points without your feminist side screaming at you.
on 12 January 2017
Classic romance I first read forty years ago in my teens and after hundreds of books it's still right up there! Written in a period that would have been harsh for the English and women in particular, it's message is about love winning through, still in love with Wulfgar after all these years!
on 7 January 2013
I can't tell how many times I have read this book over the years, many years! I just love the time period and it is such a good love story.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes a GOOD historical novel with indepth characters and even to those who just like a feel good story. Who knows why we like one book over another? Personal choice really but as all Kathleen Woodiwiss fans will tell you, she really know how to get her characters and their feelings across.

Buy it, enjoy, you will not be disappointed in the least. Hope you love it as much as I do.
on 15 July 2014
I read this book many many years ago and was delighted with the historical content as well as the fictional characters. It is easy to just think of people like William the Conqueror and others of that period just names connected to dates. Here these people have been given a personality coupled with fact that you also were given an insight into the Saxon attitudes of the time. All this added to a great story line and a wonderful love story. Great
on 24 April 2013
This book was always one of my favourites. Set in the time of William the Conqueror, 1066 it is based on Aislinn and Wulfgar. I read this book years ago and kept it to read again. Unfortunately when I went to read it the print was too small and I was going to give up but then found it on Kindle. It was just as good the second or third time of reading. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a historical romance.
on 6 April 2012
Like several other reviewers, I first read this book when I was a teenager - more years ago than I care to remember! I wondered whether, reading it again after so many years, I would feel the same about the story and the characters. Well - I'm delighted to say that I loved it then, and I still love it now. The story of Wulfgar and Aislinn is one of the best and most romantic tales I've ever read. Since acquiring my Kindle at Christmas (thanks to the other half who spoils me) I have re-read several books I read years ago, and they haven't stood the test of time - but this one has. It's a keeper, and I'm keeping it!!
on 9 February 2013
I have just finished this amazing book and loved reading every minute of it.The story of Aislinn and Wulfgar holds you until the last page.A great tale,interesting characters and told in a Medieval style,if you want something differant from the usual regency type romances look no further.
on 12 July 2014
I first read this book twenty years ago and loved it - and was curious to see if it would still grab me. It did! I am sure it is her best book - after this one I reread another woodiwiss novel but didn't rate it as much as this one.