Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 29 July 2002
"Wolf and the Dove is the most delightful and most realistic medieval romance written about the Norman conquest of Britain.
I am very happy that I've read this book first and the other similar books later. None of them compairs to Ms. Woodiwiss's wonderful story of Ayslinn of Darkenwald and Wulfgar, William the Conqueror's best knight.The story is set in times just after the Battle of Hastings. The Normans invaded Britain but the Saxon population haven't accepted their rule yet. Aislinn is the lady of Darkenwald an important Saxon holding. At the beginning she hates Wulfgar the Norman warrior who came to claim Darkenwald and later Aislinn's heart as well. The storyline is very good and fast-paced. Action follows action and the writer keeps you stuck to your book until the end. I love the detailed description of the characters and the historical background. This is what I call historical romance, where history and romance are well balanced. Even if it's not maybe 100% accurate, the readers feel that they are back in those times and not just follow the characters but they are one of them.Each character is wonderfully alive physically and emotionally as well.I don't think that it's boring to know all the details. On the contrary, it makes me feel part of the book. Aislinn is beautiful, intelligent, proud and loyal to her Saxon people. She is fed up with war and killing and she wants her people to live in peace and prosper. She hates Wulfgar, a conqueror knight who took her beloved home but slowly she understands his motives and his peaceful plans for her people. She falls in love not only with the handsome warrior but with the clever and compassionate man as well. Wulfgar is a warrior hardened by war and his stigma of being born a bastard. He wants his own place and he wants to settle down and build a peace beetwen Saxon and Norman. He sees the beautiful and strong woman in Aislinn together with her loyalty to her people and her giving nature as well.The couple is well matched and Ms. Woodiwiss follows their getting to know each other, fights and contradictory emotions until they find their happiness in their mutual love and understanding.
Even the negativ characters are well described and they come alive with all their cruelty and hate. Ragnor, the other Norman knight who hasn't known poverty and who was admired all his life by women and all the nobles in Normandy is Wulfgar's opposite.
He is cruel, bloodthirsty and the only thing he values is power.
So does Gweneth Wulfgar's bitter half-sister who repays his brotherly help and kindness by betraying him to his enemies.
The book is full of the everyday life of the keep, the village and its people. It also describes William the Conqueror and his court. The whole story seems very real to the reader and I must admit I didn't want it to end. I've read the book just a few months ago and I didn't know that it was written years and years ago. I am sure I will read it many times again in the future.I find it with my favourite books that the more I read them the more I like them.
THE WOLF AND THE DOVE is a classic historical romance. You will never forget it and you will read it many times. Ms. Woodiwiss is a wonderful writer and her novel is an excellent and enjoyable read.I highly recommend it to everyone who loves history and romance entwined together in a great novel.
on 6 March 2006
I can't believe the one reader who didn't enjoy this book i though it was FAB. It's based in 1066 when William The Conqueror invades England with his army of Norman Knights. One particular Knight Wulfgar claims the holding of Darkenwald in the name of William. Aislinn is the proud Saxon beauty whom Wulfgar takes as his own. Wulfgar denies any feeling he has for Aislinn as he has little feelings for women accept as bed partners, you can understand his feelings in this regard once you read about his mother and father. But of course Aislinn breaks through the barrier surrounding his heart. Of course there are the bad guys Ragnor who also wants Aislinn and Wulfgar's Stepsister Gwyneth hates Aislinn. If you choose to read this book i don't think you will be disappointed.
on 11 December 2001
It's hard to believe that this book was written over twenty years ago about a period several hundred years before that. This is a true classic which can be read over and over again without the power of the protagonists ever waning. Woodiwiss has captured and stayed true to her leading characters throughout making them believable and compelling.

Aislinn's character is the perfect mixture of strength and vulnerability ,even in the face of extreme adversity. Surely every herione should possess these traits.

Wulfgar is also a truly extraordinary character, as the author promises in the prologue to the story. He too combines strength and vulnerability but his wisdom is unsurpassed making it surely fated that these two should fall in love.

The power of this great book lies in the story which never fails to wring every last emotion out of both the characters and the reader.

Truly a classic.
on 27 November 1998
The strength of Woodiwiss's female characters is the power of the story. Often when women read romance novels they dream about the male character in the story. However, the draw in this story is the quiet strength of Aislin. The many experiences she must endure throughout the story and at her young age. She is intelligent and thoughtful and allows her "man" to be who he is and does not dwell on useless thoughts. This to me is more what real love is all about and this story represents to me time and time again that love when allowed to happen, will happen. At last count, I have read this book 15 times, whenever I am feeling a little down, I sit down with this book and it lifts my spirits and I am ready to challenge the day, just as Aisline would have!
on 16 November 1998
Once again, Woodiwiss triumphs with a beautiful saga of love. One of the best parts of this book is Wulfgar's character. He is a man who's been scarred, both inside and out. Shamed by the infidelity of a cruel mother as a small child, he carries a hatred for women which allows him to toy with them, with a complete disregard for their feelings and desires. His face shows the outward evidence of a terrible blow given by his father, who found out his cherished child was a bastard. Discarded by the two adults who are unable to bear looking at the result of their marital woes, the very young Wulfgar is sent to Normandy, out of sight and out of mind. Homeless, parentless with only his stalwart comrade and guardian Sweyn, Wulfgar turns his hurt to iron and strenghtens himself as a mercenary until he returns as a great, conquering warrior to the devastated land of his birth. But Aislinn, beautiful, feisty and above all, wise, tempers the steel little by little until the Iron Wolf of Normandy is tamed by the Dove of Darkenwald. Wulfar's transformation from an uncaring, unfeeling conqueror to a loving, nurturing husband and protector of his people is a true testament to his strength and intelligence.
on 10 June 2004
I bought this book in 1980 and it captivated me. I love history and you cannot fault it on that. But the best thing about it is how Wulfgar and Aislinn fall in love and have to fight to be together through treachery, jealosy and madness. I have read it so many times I have had to buy another copy as my original
is coming apart. If you love real romance you should read this book.Definately a keeper.
on 28 January 1999
I first read The Wolf and The Dove when I was 15. It captured my heart so completely that I refused to lend it to my friends. I was afraid that they wouldn't return it or would maybe abuse my copy in some way! I needed that book to dream on. I must have re-read The Wolf and The Dove 10 times in that first year! No one can ever compare to Wulfgaras the man of my dreams. His strength and character are unequaled. When I discovered more books by Kathleen Woodiwiss, I rushed out and bought them all. But, Wulfgar and Aislinn have been and will always be the couple to set the standard for all romance novels.
on 31 December 1998
Growing up I always saw this book lying around my house, my grandmother's, or aunt's. One of them was always reading it. My Mother has been trying to get me to read it for about 8 years now. I finally did. I don't usually go for the romance stuff. I like Grishim and Clancey. The Wolf and the Dove is by far the BEST book I have ever read. I want to write a screen play. The story is wonderful! It is too bad that this book can't be shared by the world via a movie. It would outsell Titanic at the boxoffice. I'm sure of it! Too bad more people don't read. I intend to read it again soon!!! If you have not read it....it is a must!!! Thank you Ms.Woodiwiss for the book of all books!!
on 15 July 2014
I read this book many many years ago and was delighted with the historical content as well as the fictional characters. It is easy to just think of people like William the Conqueror and others of that period just names connected to dates. Here these people have been given a personality coupled with fact that you also were given an insight into the Saxon attitudes of the time. All this added to a great story line and a wonderful love story. Great
on 8 October 2014
This was a book I had in paperback but had to get rid of it because I can no longer see to read paperbacks. It is a long and exciting story. It gives an insight into how things were in the past. This is one of my most favourite stories.