Customer reviews

Wolf and the Dove
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 10 June 2004
I bought this book in 1980 and it captivated me. I love history and you cannot fault it on that. But the best thing about it is how Wulfgar and Aislinn fall in love and have to fight to be together through treachery, jealosy and madness. I have read it so many times I have had to buy another copy as my original
is coming apart. If you love real romance you should read this book.Definately a keeper.
on 9 May 2001
A great book to transport yourself to another era. Just sit back and enjoy the life and loves of Saxon and Norman times. Who will win our heroin Aislinn hand, Walfgar or Ragnor. Read and find out. Intrigue and passion at its best. Number one in my top ten of Romance books.
on 28 January 1999
I first read The Wolf and The Dove when I was 15. It captured my heart so completely that I refused to lend it to my friends. I was afraid that they wouldn't return it or would maybe abuse my copy in some way! I needed that book to dream on. I must have re-read The Wolf and The Dove 10 times in that first year! No one can ever compare to Wulfgaras the man of my dreams. His strength and character are unequaled. When I discovered more books by Kathleen Woodiwiss, I rushed out and bought them all. But, Wulfgar and Aislinn have been and will always be the couple to set the standard for all romance novels.
on 2 April 2013
Well I don't understand how this book gets all the glowing reviews to be honest. I found the book a bit confusing and unrealistic. I did not like the story. It was very upsetting to see a woman falling in love with a man who torments her constantly( he had actually chained her to the bed for God's sake!!!!). And most of the love scenes were rape in my opinion. I found the whole ordeal very disturbing. Did not like it at all.
on 15 February 2000
I have read "bodice ripper" romances for many years from my teens, but this was my first Woodiwiss book. I was enthralled with the story of Wulfgar and Aislin. This started me off on the trail to read all of Woodiwiss' books and I have enjoyed every one of them so far!
on 23 June 1998
From the first few lines, this novel had me hooked. The mystery surrounding the wolf was as thick as the fog circling it. I really liked the power struggles between The Wolf and the Dove. It was a nice difference from the meekness and timidity of Heather in the Flame and the Flower. I particularly enjoyed the uncertainty of the paternity of the child. That was a nice turnaround. I did think that the kidnapping and the culprit were slightly predictable. I understand one can only do so much with stock evil characters, but I was slightly disappointed in that aspect of the novel. This novel is one of my favorites. I still have my first bought copy.
on 31 December 1998
Growing up I always saw this book lying around my house, my grandmother's, or aunt's. One of them was always reading it. My Mother has been trying to get me to read it for about 8 years now. I finally did. I don't usually go for the romance stuff. I like Grishim and Clancey. The Wolf and the Dove is by far the BEST book I have ever read. I want to write a screen play. The story is wonderful! It is too bad that this book can't be shared by the world via a movie. It would outsell Titanic at the boxoffice. I'm sure of it! Too bad more people don't read. I intend to read it again soon!!! If you have not read it....it is a must!!! Thank you Ms.Woodiwiss for the book of all books!!
on 16 September 2014
If you've been reading as many regency romances as I have during the past few years, you've surely come across references related to the English peers' families being traced back to the time of the Normandy Invasion - as though that somehow makes their blood more pure? Myself - I never really get those references - being the progeny of a full blood Cherokee Indian Grandmother and a full blood Englishman. I value my Indian blood as much as I value my English blood. But then, we live in a different day and hour when most of us are of mixed blood and we're often happy just to know the names of our grandparents.

The Wolf and the Dove actually begins with a bang in 1066. History states the Norman Invasion began on September 28, 1066, so the author is right on target when she brings the Normans crashing through Darkenwald Hall, our heroine Aislinn's home, finding herself and her people at the mercy of the brutal Ragnor de Marte and his pillagers. With her father slain, Aislinn and her mother, Lady Maida struggle to stay alive as long as posssible even in the midst of rapes and other violent deeds.

Wulfgar - the "Wolf" has been promised Darkenwald by William The Conqueror. Ragnor attempts to have his way while he can because Wulfgar is on his way and when he arrives, things will change very quickly. I won't give away the plot except to say, readers who are more accustomed to lighter historical romance fare may find parts of this book highly objectionable. Although raping and pillaging were facts of life during these battles for conquest, most of us do not agree with the "hero" being portrayed as a conqueror of women. Wulgar is in no way the "worst," but he certainly takes his liberties where he can find them as did many conquerors of that day and age. Sooo, although I found parts of this book interesting at the time I read it, thankfully since reading this novel, I have been introduced to writers who give the "Main Guys" in historical romance novels a much different character than some of the authors who wrote during the period in which this book was published. Kathleen Woodiwiss is, an acknowledged gifted writer and she has many, many fans - young and old(er).

I would give this story 5 stars for writing technique, but only 3 stars for storyline because I found the circumstances under which Aislinn is "persuaded" to be objectionable, even though she does love her conqueror... eventually. Again, let me state very clearly: Many readers may find this book too dark in some areas. Remember, these people were being conquered, women were nothing but chattel in those days and for many years following. The foregoing truths of how matters were in that day and age affects my decision to give the book a 3 star rating - otherwise it would be a one star rating (due to objectionable actions by the hero and his invaders).
on 14 August 1999
In my mid-teens, this was the second romance novel my mother shared with me (the first being 'The Flame and the Flower'); I have read it many times since. The cover and several pages have fallen off/out, but have not been lost. This new cover is so pretty I may have to replace the 'family' copy. Simply one of the best romances I have ever read. These wonderful tales have led me to read all of her works, finding some better than others, but 'Wolf and the Dove' will always be at the top of my list.
on 20 September 2000
I started reading book reviews a while back, and I kept coming across people who didn't like Woodiwiss because the storylines were predictable, it wasn't historically accurate, etc, etc. All I have to say is, let go and enjoy! Wolf and the Dove is my all time favorite Woodiwiss book, and even if it isn't accurate historically, it is still a beautiful story with superb writing. So let off on the criticalness (there's too much of that in the world anyhow) and just enjoy!