on 19 June 2017
This double bill of two early G&S operettas is so good in some many ways it's a shame it slightly spoils itself in others.
On the plus side it's the best sung, best acted, most joyous, most energetic G&S I've ever seen....and believe me, I've seen a lot in the past 50 years! Outstanding is the soprano playing Josephine, the captain's daughter. For once a G&S heroine is more than the usual cardboard cutout - she sings gloriously, is funny (especially in the Act ll trio "Never Mind the Why & Wherefore") and has plenty of character.
Likewise the Captain himself & the First Lord of the Admiralty are played with gusto and aplomb, and for once the First Lord is played by someone who can actually SING!
Unfortunately the same can't be said of Little Buttercup, whose voice would be OK in a modern musical, but here she stands out like a sore thumb.
Lots of errors about Royal Navy procedure, eg wrong salutes & captain with moustache & sidewhiskers!
TRIAL BY JURY great fun but modern dress production doesn't work for me. Breach of Promise ceased to be an offence decades ago, and no court of law allows photography & tape recorders! Shame, as it's brilliantly performed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 December 2016
Very much like this performance of Pinafore, it has great vitality, and the young cast appear to be having great fun performing. It is very pleasing on the eye, especially the restricted colour palette of set and costume, which are no less colourful for it, The singing overall is good, and although there maybe better there are few that can match the youthful exuberance of this performance. Some may find Buttercup rather strident, but she is very much in character.

The accompanying Trial by Jury is equally good. Given a more obviously up to date setting if losses nothing, in fact it has even more relevance.The result is a very lively, very funny and well acted performance which is immensely enjoyable

What really makes both these performance for me is the young cast, I always have difficulty watching performances where youthful characters are played by obviously ageing performers; they may sing better, but as this is one to watch as well as listen to, I'd go for visuals first and enjoy the others on CD.
on 8 September 2011
I have seen about 3 of the Gilbert and Sullivan comic operas by the D'Oyly Carte Opera many years ago and looked forward to renewing my aquaintance with them via video. I saw the previous reviews about this version of Pinafore, that caused me to hesitate a while. I am glad that I took the plunge as I found both performances very enjoyable. It was mentioned that this video is in the NTSC format (confirmed in microscopic print at the bottom of the case), so I was relieved that my DVD unit played it with no problem. I thought the quality of picture in full widescreen and the sound were excellent. I appreciate the comments by others concerning the ship being more modern than the expected sailing ship. Buttercup is somewhat strident compared with the other singers, but as she is a common bumboat woman, it was in character.

Something that others have not mentioned is that there is the option of having the words displayed at the bottom of the screen. Not having a copy of the libretto for either opera, I found this a great help in following the songs, particularly when in chorus or several parts together. Trial by Jury was completely new to me and so the captions here were invaluable.

A most enjoyable couple of performances.
on 17 June 2015
This is a very enjoyable set, but was a little disappointed that The Gondoliers was a carbon copy of the Australian version. Also, why do the producers feel the need to cut songs? I feel short-changed when they do that so it only gets four stars. Was very impressed by the actual delivery, one item was missing but I had no proof of this, the company still trusted me and sent my missing disc. So a big thank you for that.
on 19 October 2006
I have seen many versions of HMS Pinafore and even those performed by the famous D'oly Cart company, but this Opera Australia DVD is the very best that I have ever seen. The whole production has been carefully directed to make it a totally enjoyable viewing experience. The principal cast members have voices which are rarely heard in the modern theatre. I would highly recomment this version to anyone who likes G&S, but to those who do not know if their work, this will be a delightful way to get to know it.
0Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 October 2014
I love this presentation to bits! The producion of H.M.S. Pinafore is brilliantly executed both vocally and orchestrally. The set is good and suits all scenes. The quality of the video and sound is excellent. The additional "Trial by Jury" is also well produced although presented in a modern setting.
Overall, one of the best G&S DVDs I have seen so far.
on 8 March 2012
The singing voices are ALL excellent. Watched it dozens of times and sing along with the subtitles. Anthony Warlow is a brilliant character actor wheather in pink tights and long blonde hair in Patience, or the Captain in HMS Pinafore or the Judge in Trial By Jury - ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS DVD
on 11 April 2015
Before my wife was struck down with Vascular Dementia Gilbert and Sullivan was amongst her favourite music. We play them to her regularly and she does show a distinct recognition. Very therapeutic for her, the recording is so clear.
on 4 July 2013
A good but not outstanding performance, good singers and costumes and sets but lacking humour. I have an older VHS tape of a D'Oyly Carte TV version which despite jerks where adverts were deleted before the video went on sale and cheap costumes, has more humour and fun.
on 18 January 2018