on 29 August 2009
I really want to like this, I really did. The box looks so neat and tidy. Presentable. When you start making it however, this seems like an impossible dream. The cardboard is a bit tricky to bend tot he right shape, the sticky-tape provided is irritating to peel off and the whole things just looks a mess.
When I turned it on, it just projected blurry spots on the screen of varying sizes, no matter how much adjustment I made.
Its cheap, but not cheerful. I'm still waiting for a decent Night Sky kit.

On the plus side, you do get a leaflet providing the names of the constellations and other info. Not incredibly detailed, but it will do.
on 22 June 2009
The box looks good, so expectations were high. My 7 year-old son could't wait to build it. What a disappointment ! The cardboard parts are to be sticked together with double-faced tape and the end result of the "hemisphere" is a lop-sided half dome that doesn't hold together for more than a few hours - even though we worked together on it for more than an hour. As a previous reviewer said, the projection of the night sky is not remotely looking like a real night sky. I am a keen amateur astronomer, but I defy anyone to recognise any constellation. Moreover, the projection is distorted on the ceiling, which does not help. It ended in the bin after 2 weeks, out of annoyance with the various parts that kept falling apart.
Many kits from the 4M series of "inspiring science" are recommended by the London Science Museum - including this one. It makes me wonder. We already tried our hand at the volcano making kit, which was quite a disappointment as well. The ideas are good, but the experiences never seem to come along as they should, mostly due to the fact that the quality of the material provided is a bit cheap.
I won't buy any further article from that range in the future.
on 29 January 2009
Bought as a christmas present for my nine year old daughter. Quite dissapointed with the whole thing - bits of flimsy card and double sided tape which, when together, we had to reinforce with extra tape. And banging nails into premarked card to create the "stars" gives you the most un-night skyish night sky I've ever seen when its switched on. If you want a night sky to light up your childs bedroom - buy a proper one - or take them camping instead!
on 5 July 2009
i wanted this product for my classroom and wouldn't even attempt to let a child to try and put it together it is all flimsy card and u have to use a pin to make all the holes for the stars youself and then fasten all the tiny little tabs together with the double sided tape it provides. once we put it together you could barely even see any of the stars because the light isn't bright enough and i would have had to go over all the holes and make them bigger...and don't know what with?!! i left it over night and was going to make a start on making the holes bigger but the tape had already started to unstick and the whole thing was starting to fall apart!!! i was very disapointed, would have returned it but someone had already chucked the outer box away so now im stuck with it.
on 25 October 2009
Just spent over 2 hours trying to stick this flimsy, tiny thing together with my disappointed daughter, it was falling apart before we even got the batteries in. What size fingers do the makers think humans have? The flaps are so minute there is no way they can hold together. The light is too dim to have much effect, the assemble product looks nothing like the picture on the box. It was a present otherwise I would have sent it right back.
on 10 June 2012
The only reason to ever get this mess of cardboard is to torment someone.

It's much better if you just punch the holes, use a torch and shine it on the wall.

I'll be retrieving the 4 AA rechargeable batteries from the light asap.
on 1 January 2015
If your 8 year old can put this together - the hunt for the next Brian Cox is over.
I am a very practical person and I had to control my frustration on a number of occasions.
The only help I can offer is that when you put the 2 halves together, is to use tape on the external surfaces, otherwise it becomes like a game of 'Where's Wally?'
As other reviewers have said, the projected image is of a load of dashes, not dots. (i.e. the shape of the lamp filament)
on 17 August 2010
this item was received for my sons 5th birthday as he is interested in the sky, stars and outer space... after poking holes through the card multi folded sheet and sticking it together which he found terribly boring.... the light dome didn't work.... maybe the science museum need to recall their product judging by others responses too..... highly disappointing and not even of a value that is worth returning due to postage costs and the environmental impact.... refunds all round i would like to see.... But what a great idea for children to learn about our universe.... please someone try another format for this concept...
A disappointed Daddy....
on 13 October 2015
terrible. too complicated, we had to make the holes for the stars ourselves and then to put together the paper globe was impossible.

The end result didnt even look like a reflection of the constelation.
on 18 February 2012
Bought this for one of our grandchildren, and decided to make it up in advance of his birthday as it was not recommended for under 8's. It was incredibly fiddly to construct, VERY fragile, and the end result was a really poorly defined projection of constellations. We would have forgiven the assembly process if it had produced a decent effect, but it didn't, despite being extremely careful and attentive to the instructions. A big mistake. It didn't live up to its advertising, and we won't be bothering giving it as a present.