on 14 June 2010
Format:
Everything says it's region 1 only (US) but I bought this from the States after reading another reviewer's comment that it runs on region 2 players, too. And, yes, it does - as do Animaniacs volumes 2 and 3 as well!

Humour:
Fabulous fast paced knock about humour which can be very witty, high on parody, both visual and musical with some great songs. The writing for these cartoons is excellent, as is the animation which harks back to the classic Warner shorts of the 40's and 50's in the quality of animation (flowing, full animation, brilliantly timed with the full orchestral music track). Spielberg wanted to make a series which took its cue from the classics and he succeded.

Audience:
Kids, yes, probably best from 5 upwards not only to enjoy the slapstick but a little of the subtlety, too. Adults, certainly, due to the humour, parody, some clever song lyrics, cultural and movie send-ups (including Wakko, Yakko and Dot's help - unwanted in most cases - for Beethoven, Einstein and Lincoln!). Animation fans - if, like me, you enjoyed the likes of Bugs Bunny and crew, you'll enjoy the antics of the Animaniacs and their 'anything goes'.

Characters:
Well realised with their own traits, phrases and style from the Warner brothers (Wakko and Yakko) and Dot (their sister as she continually reminds us); Pinky and the Brain, trying to take over the world; the Good Feathers (pigeons who answer to their supremo - THE GOOD FEATHER - very reminicent of Brando's Godfather); Scrappy Squirrel, the elderly grouch with violent tendencies - but it's all good cartoon fun - Rita and Runt, Chicken Boo and many more, besides. There are occasional guest appearances by, for example, Bugs Bunny, the Road Runner, and so on.

Content:
25 'progammes' of about 22 minutes having up to 4 cartoon sections in each. 550 minutes of craziness.

Quality:
The animation itself is flowing and expression is not only facial but in body poses, too, so pretty full animation, certainly for TV material. This is no 'talking-walking' animation. The music, using the Warner orchestra, is very 'full' and is closely timed and accented to the visuals, adding brilliantly to every pun. There are many musical parodies, too - references to film music and classics such as 'Les Miseranimals' (Les Miserables).

Special Features:
Interviews with creators discussing career and series highlights
5 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 5 July 2012
I've just got to echo what some others have said, my copy also works fine on a region 2 player despite what it says on the box. I remember watching the Animaniacs on Saturdays when I was younger and loving them, having watched them again I still think they are great, with some clever, even educational, songs and witty scripts. Some of the characters are stronger than others I'm not sure if this is to do with the writers or just the characters themselves. I always found the Good Feathers a bit repetitive but loved Pinky and the Brain, maybe I'm not the only one as Pinky and the Brain got there own show.
Kids will love the cartoon slapstick and adults will like the nods made to tv and films. Defiantly worth being in your DVD collection.
on 12 April 2018
Highly entertaining cartoons suitable for both adults and children.Classic cartoon comedy from falling anvils to comic explosions, as well as many references to celebrities and events of the 90's, comparable to the likes of the Simpsons. The breaking of the fourth wall done by the characters adds to the witty humour. These DVD's make up the 99 episodes created by Steven Spielberg and Warner Brothers are an absolute must for anyone and everyone.
on 11 May 2009
If you have never seen the Animaniacs, you are in for a treat.

I was a fan when they were on UK TV back in the 1990s and having the DVDs is great.

The Animaniacs themselves owe something to the Marx Brothers, Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons but they have their own anarchic, surreal charm.

The supporting cast are all fabulous characters too and the animation is as good as anything you'll see from the classic cartoon shorts of the 40s and 50s.

Every home needs the Warners Brothers (and the Warner Sister!).
4 people found this helpful
on 10 January 2018
Bought for the Grandkids to watch still very funny after all these years
on 2 January 2017
I bought this DVD in December 2016 for my boyfriend who's a big Animaniacs fan and is does not work in our Panasonic DVD player (which is about four years old). It arrived swiftly in good condition, but I was misled by past reviews; this product does not work in our Region 2 DVD player.
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 11 June 2011
When I got the two later seasons on my trip to Florida, I was aiming to get the first volume to complete my set. When I finally got it, it made me feel complete. Most of my favourite sketches made it this way including: The Nations of the World (sung by Yakko), the time when the Warner Brothers (and Warner Sister) meet Einstein, Beethoven, Lincoln, the works. Of course there are other characters, including Pinky and the Brain, the Goodfeathers, Slappy the Squirrel, and those two hippos whose names I forgot. Many characters have their own sense of personality, and the conflict they come across only makes it more humorous than expected. It's a shame those DVD's are not released in the U.K. and that I have to import the DVD anyway, but the content makes it all worthwhile.
on 30 September 2015
as expected
on 12 December 2014
Animaniacs is one of those rare cartoons which adults can enjoy just as much as their children (in fact, there are some jokes aimed purely at more mature viewers which younger audiences might miss) It says Region 1, but works absolutely fine on my UK PS3. Highly recommended. "Goodnight everybody"
on 15 August 2017
Still as funny as the first time I watched them. Few hit and miss cartoons but the majority are hilarious. Who says cartoons are for children, not this time.