on 15 April 2017
A solid case - I use it to protect a camera slider rather than skis. It's pretty heavy, but I guess that's what comes with the level of protection it gives. Wheels on the bottom make it very easy to drag along smooth floors. Easily adjusted to fit the length of whatever you choose to store in it.
on 24 May 2017
Product exactly as described. Very happy with purchase.
on 5 December 2011
This review is before my ski trip - I shall adjust the review afterwards if necessary. The Skicase is solidly made, and of simple construction - 2 pieces of blow moulded plastic that sleeve over one another and held at the required distance using a split pin once your skis, poles and anything else you can sneak in is in it.

The wheels seem tough and make moving the packed unit a lot easier than balancing a set of skis using a central handle or shoulder strap.

You put the skis in tip-to-tail and bindings together with the waxed side facing out. It is supplied with 2 bands to pull the brakes up, and then this allows the skis, with poles placed down the middle, to slide into the bottom (wheeled) half of the Skicase. The upper half is then slipped over the top and the pin is inserted through the closest hole to hold the combination together. The inside ends of the tube are fitted with foam to prevent the skis moving once in the closed case. Because of the way the skis face each other there is some room "down the middle" to put small items in the case, e.g. socks, hats etc, but obviously the skis may be damp after use so don't go sticking valuable water sensitive gear in there!

There is no window, or sticker for putting your name/contact on the skis, so you may want to consider how to identify/mark your case. I will be investing in some white paint.

I bought my Skicase in the recent "Black Friday" deals so got it quite a bit cheaper than normal Amazon price. I would guess the case's value lies in how expensive your skis were/are and how much you trust the airlines with handling them. Rumours of airlines insisting on hardcases are new to me, but it makes sense to me to look after valuable equipment when it is out of your posession.
on 2 January 2014
On the face of it this is a big plastic box to put skis in but the design is excellent and well proven. the tube adjusts to fit the size of ski ( or other gear) with some padding inside either end of the tubes. It comes with a pull strap which can be removed and a non-locking pin closure which clips both ends of he tube together. I would recommend buying a lock ( the sport tube TSA cable lock is ideal) to lock the tube if travelling by air or the box is out of sight. The tube is fastened through holes in both tubes to ensure a solid closure. I found that my Skis and poles fitted in snugly and having spent nearly £600 on new skis and poles, I feel confident they will arrive in good condition.

One tip - as the skis are put together with bindings facing each other - I found that putting an old towel or similar between the ski bindings helped stop them scratching each other.

The tube also comes with two very strong rubber straps to hold the ski brakes flat so you can slide the skis into the tube. I would also suggest using a couple of webbing straps to hold the skis together to make it easier to put hem into the tube.

the wheels on the end of the tube are fairly substantial so should last and travel well.

Final tip - as all the tubes look the same - I would suggest putting something distinctive on the outside so you can recognise your Sport Tube - I use some ski and resort stickers to make my tube distinctive.

A quick Update from March 2014 - having used them in anger as it were this season I can say that they do the job superbly well - Skis an poles were safe and unmarked, I managed to squeeze some additional clothing in between the skis ( about an additional 4 Kg worth ) which also helped with my overall luggage allowance as well. :) The Sporttube Lock was also well worth purchasing for my peace of mind as at Innsbruck airport the skis are delivered outside of he terminal before you clear customs... I will buy another for my Wife but will probably wait for the Black Friday offers again as it Only cost £69 when I bought it this year.
on 4 January 2014
Don't mess around, worth every penny to keep your ski's from getting damaged in transit.
We have fitted 3 pairs of 2 meter 10 cm cross country skis and 3 pairs of poles in ours!
The great thing is you can shrink and extend it to fit, we even transport our longbows around when it's not ski's!
Has a carry strap as well as a trundle handle for wheeling around the airport, just remember how long it is before you wipe out the people at the check in desk, hee hee.
on 27 May 2013
Essential for transporting your skis and pole so they don't get damaged in transit. Worth checking your baggage allowance if you're flying. Most long hall flights seem ok with the slight additional weight. With Easy jet I had to check my partners boots in with my skis, since her boots are much smaller and lighter, to avoid their excess baggage charge.
on 10 January 2015
These tubes appear to be brilliant, quite light and manageable and serious protection. However, I am baffled by the two holes in the outer sleeve for securing the 2 telescopic tubes together, they are NOT 30mm apart, which is the distance between all the holes on the inner ridge for length adjustment; this is inexplicable, as it is an advantage to use the clip and a lock in conjunction. I have the double sportube too, and the same problem applies. I can only imagine this is an error, as I can see no purpose for this descrepancy. I have now drilled another hole for this purpose, which is fine, but be cafeful, the 'hard polythene' case is very tough and you can easily slip.
Secondly it's a shame that these Sportubes don't come with a shoulder strap, the cases take one but the double case needs a longer length than standard straps (typically 103cms at full length) I would suggest 150cms. However, the carrying handle is good and also the drag handle (supplied).
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2017
Have been skiing twice now using the Sportstube. I find it a lot easier to use than my material ski bag that I have to carry over my shoulder. I don't like using the strap at the front to pull it along as it makes it very long with a greater chance of people falling over it so I use the front handle and find this a good compromise.
on 14 January 2015
A fantastic case for my skis. Very solid. I put some foam between the bindings then strap them together with the poles. The whole thing complete with the skis is actually quite lightweight and easy to handle. Very good product.
on 28 March 2016
Solid case. We purchased this to carry a Kessler CineSlider and it works well. Wheels make it a breeze to carry when you're on smooth terrain. It's lighter than I expected.

See one answered question