Customer reviews

The Book Group: Series 1 [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 30 May 2014
Ok hands up I bought this because Rory McCann was in it. I knew nothing about the series, had vaguely heard about it but that was all so admission over. Have just watched Series 1 in its entirety and think that it is refreshing,intelligent,funny,sad,poignant-in short everything I want from a comedy/drama. The characters are well developed, American Claire who organises the Book Group in the first place- bossy, priggish, interfering, but by the end loveable. Rab-so funny, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, borderline gay,very funny, the footballer's wives-how sharp characterisations were they? , Kenny-what can you say about the 'big man' who has all the females panting for him without any effort. Rory McCann received a Scottish Bafta for his performance and it is richly deserved. The character I wasn't keen on was Barney-but he was necessary to the group and the programme. Have Series 2 to watch now-I know that we get a song from Kenny in this one so I can't wait. Lovely to see Rory McCann pre Game of Thrones too.
on 25 June 2013
The nice thing about this series is that it isn't too long. However, I didn't want it to end. Also addictive is that dreamy and ethereal opening music. It reminds me a little of Cocteau Twins.

When I first saw this on hulu, I didn't think too much of it and didn't like Claire. As the series progressed, I got to know the characters and wanted to meet up with them again and again. After a year or so, I decided to review the series and this time found myself watching it over and over, notating memorable lines. It grew on me. I decided to get this so I could avoid the adverts and fussy player on hulu. I haven't regretted it.

The extras are nice, and include the writer's commentary, one must activate on the menu, that is insightful. A short 18 minute interview is conducted with a few of the cast that is additionally interesting, but that's it. There is a short question and answer part to the extras from an audience where the writer, Annie Griffin, gave a talk that is transcribed, which I found unusual and only moderately interesting. I'd like to have seen outtakes of the complicated filming of the actual book group meetings.

It is filmed in a widescreen aspect ratio, and you will have to adjust the viewer on your widescreen telly so that it will present 16:9 without the letterbox-for-1:33-screens black borders. It would have been nice for this to have been formatted for widescreen televisions as that is the way it was filmed. The quality of it is good, but would have been nicer with a finer transfer. Maybe its my player. To watch the scene at the lake with the Professor in Claire's book on blu ray would be extraordinary.
on 5 October 2010
This is a little jewel of show. I don't know if it's comedy-drama or drama
comedy but don't expect Curb/The Office kind of humour or anything broad.
The cast give great understated performances of a script that is humane
to the characters.

I haven't seen series 2 yet.
on 25 May 2013
When this was first shown on television, I would occasionally see snippets of it and, although very good, I just didn't have the time to sit down and watch it. Recently, I've been watching Game of Thrones and like many others was trying to remember where I'd seen various actors, including Rory McCann. A Google search brought up The Book Group. I sent off for Series 1 (later bought Series 2) and watched it in one sitting. If anything, it is even funnier and more touching than I remembered. Series 1 lays the groundwork on all of the characters and the situations they get into and Series 2 continues this work. This is not only a wonderful series it is also a classic - Rab's conversation with Anselmo and Janice at all times are absolution priceless. Watch and enjoy!
on 10 November 2015
Very impressive comedy-drama, with characters you can sympathise with, a quirky mix of realism, the occasional dream-fantasy, and no fear of discussing sexuality. No canned laughter, and it alternates between anguish, gossip, realism, desire, idealistic hope, and well-crafted comedy. Fine script, and substantial acting talent. My only problem is that the episodes are too short! I wish more had been made, but the slightly downbeat atmosphere and adult themes probably did not convince commissioning editors. I will pick up Series 2 soon. Good DVD production, and no problem with delivery etc.
on 10 September 2017
A wonderful quirky series about an American woman who settles in Glasgow and starts a book group in the hope of making friends. Hysterically funny, with well-drawn characters. Why this never got a third series is beyond me. Brilliant.
on 26 February 2014
Picked this up on spec, and didn't regret it for a second. It starts a little slowly, but the end of the first episode really lets you know what kind of thing you're getting. If you like your humour blacker than black, then you'll love this. Anne Dudek is fantastic as the uptight, fanatasy-agenda driven American who's slowly forced to adapt to a more earthy sensibility. Never has such explicit sexuality been defused with such outrageous humour. Most of my friends have had this in their birthday goodies, and all have loved it too.
on 8 July 2010
Very unusually, a British television drama from recent years that I really like!

Not that I can feel too much patriotic pride about it as the writer/director and lead charater are both American by birth.

The lead character Clare (Anne Dudek) is an American newly arrived in Glasgow and initial cultural misunderstandings are brought out in the earlier episodes. The other characters (and the actors playing them) are a mixture of nationalities. This is very much about a group of individuals with their own stories and how they all interact, rather than revolving only around a single central character.

The writer/ director says in the 'extras' that she had noticed that dramas set in Scotland normally only had Scottish characters, whereas her experience living in Glasgow was that she was always meeting people who came from a variety of countries, as well as Scots, and she wanted to bring that out.

'The Book Group' is not easy to classify nor to liken to anything else, so if you are more comfortable with things that fall into a standard genre with predictable character types this may not be for you.

However, for anyone who would like something intelligent, original and unusual with interesting uncliched individual characters and situations then I really recommend this.
on 29 June 2017
I ordered it from the states and received it from the UK with no issue. Smooth stuff. Great series, great distributor. You're all champions.
on 26 March 2017