Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

interesting beautifully made on the cheap live acting with gloriously of it's time art work and effects
nice little story
really 3.5 stars as a little slow to roll and the script at times lost its zip but the humour and quirkiness of new gaiman still shines on with help from the muppeteers and artists
on 17 November 2007
Bargain alert! Bargain alert! I'm in agreement with previous reviewers- a great value & well put together box-set! Three quality films and extra's galore. I'd only previously seen `Labyrinth' (years ago when I was a kid) before buying this collection, but even so...I really enjoyed all three films with consecutive viewings, films that might not be the best, but which are certainly the weirdest examples of fantasy on celluloid in the previous twenty years, which juxtapose each other very nicely in this set. `Labyrinth', `Dark Crystal' and `Mirrormask' are each in the great children's fantasy tradition i.e. based in lavish other-worldly realms, which explore some quite dark themes and use frightening imagery, as their mysteries are revealed to the viewer. So while not suitable for very young children...perfect fun for youngsters wanting to sample compelling, vivid, ground-breaking fantasy films of their era's that can't help but make a lasting impression on the developing mind.

`Labyrinth' (10/10)...

Despite having aged the least well (e.g. `80's hair-do's, synthesised music etc) it's easily the most atmospheric and absorbing of the three films. Memorable puppets, original music, grotesque creatures, hilarious characters, an absorbing quest...all combine to create pure magic.

`Dark Crystal' (7/10)...

With eerily excellent puppeteeing throughout and pitch-perfect voice performances this oddity of a film is an enjoyable, if frightening mix of classic fantasy themes with modern special effects (of their time). But it just doesn't deliver huge amounts of compelling story, the story is clever, definitely, but somehow difficult to engage with, perhaps due to the lack of human protagonists. But it's still an absorbing movie.

`Mirrormask' (8/10)...

There are some absolutely glowing reviews for this film on Amazon that I read before I saw `Mirrormask' for myself, very enthusiastic about this movie that was penned by fantasy author Neil Gaiman in collaboration with The Jim Henson Company. These came as a surprise to me, because going by the trailers I'd seen, I wasn't moved to go out of my way to see this film. For some reason my impression of `Mirrormask' was that it show-cased a unique visual style, but wasn't quite matched by a satisfying story.

But in small part I found the opposite to be true- the story engaged me, but the special-effects didn't entrance me. This film does succeed very well however at contrasting the unique home life of the heroine against the strangely disjointed, stylised, other-worldly realm she is transported to via her own sketches. If the visual style doesn't quite captivate in every respect, the dialogue certainly does, there are some beautifully phrased and memorable lines delivered by Helena, her mum and her partner-in-crime, the mischievous Valentine.

Having recently seen `Stardust' (based on a book by Gaiman) at the cinema I can definitely see similarities between the two films, the dialogue in particular, but if you expect a similar level of excitement you may be a little disappointed, because while `Stardust' is certainly the extravaganza, `Mirrormask' is more the curiosity, which may not appeal to everyone, but which I'd still heartily recommend for an honest and universal story of hope, fear and fantastical happenings.
review image review image
on 22 June 2017
Very imaginative & creative, did very well on small budget.
on 3 August 2017
Good item
on 11 July 2017
love Bowie, love the dark crystal
on 6 August 2017
I have always loved this film. It's bizarre and fantastic. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes the weird and wonderful.
on 29 April 2015
Most economical way to get the classics together, plus it looks great on my shelf in a boxed set!
on 23 February 2008
i was given this for chrismtas and couldn't be happier. I wouldnt have thought to put the three dvds together (dark crystals- a film my brother loves, labyrinth a film i'd watch on disney channel all the time when i was younger and mirrormask, a film we both love now im older) but it so simply goes together- i guess i just never mad the jim henson link when i was a child. but it's a great set. if im bored and fed up then here's no other way to perk me up.
on 9 February 2013
Worth having this triple pack. I had never seen Mirrormask before but loved the other two items. Still not sure about Mirrormask but it will probably grow on me. A good buy for SF&F fans
on 30 April 2011
This was purchased for my granddaughter. When she comes to stay I ask her if she wants to bring one of her favourite DVD's and this set always comes along with her. I have to say that I am pleased as I also enjoy watching David Bowie in Labyrinth.