Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 17 February 2011
Here in the USA Silent Witness was shown on the "Arts and Entertainment" cable network. However A&E has changed their focus and no longer has British imports. Likewise BBC America is a sham. I had a couple episodes taped way back when, but had no way of watching this again, or later seasons, until I got the bright idea of importing them myself!

These episodes hold up well with the years, and are better than I remembered. I'll certainly be buying later series as I get through what I've already bought.
on 20 June 2017
Excellent
on 27 June 2015
Dr. Sam Ryan is a delight. Fascinating TV series.
on 10 March 2014
excellent writing, acting and; filming; thought provoking and suspenseful throughout; timely story lines; long may it continue; worth buying a multiregion dvd player so can watch full series in North America
on 28 November 2014
Love the series with Amanda Burton and Amelia fox.
VINE VOICEon 13 September 2007
What a great series Silent Witness is and it is still going strong. In fact I watched an episode of the new series last night. This 2 disk dvd contains the first series.
The first story Buried Lies is a strong start and introduces us to Dr Sam Ryan played by Amanda Burton. The plot concerns the death of a young girl who is thought to have fallen from a swing and drowned, Sam has other ideas.
Next up is Long Days, Short Night. This was the first episode I ever watched and features Colin Salmon (Tomorrow Never Dies)as a man suspected of a ritual killing.
Ken Stott stars in the next episode Darkness Visible. Sam investigates a custody death in a police cell. Could there be a cover up ?
The final story Sins Of The Fathers is about a charred body found in a Vietnamese restaurant.
All in all an excellent start to a great series. The supporting cast in this series John McGlynn and Clare Higgins give very good performances. Let us hope that the rest of the series is released soon.
on 14 December 2013
OK I'll be honest and say I bought these from ebay a couple of years ago but from the photos they look identical. The default setting is English language with Dutch subtitles but on every single disc if you know how to operate your DVD player properly it's easy to switch the Dutch subtitles off. There's no English subtitles and the top menu may take a bit of trial and error to navigate but the episodes themselves are absolutely fine
on 11 June 2011
I purchased this for my husband but I really enjoy this series also. We both love the detail that goes into finding out the cause of death and of course the fact that Sam (Amanda Burton)Always manages to handle the cops who always are more often than not quick to draw a conclusion about a death forgetting she is the expert in her field yet they still question her judgement at times. But she stands up to them and proves she is right and solves cases everytime for them. Great series to have. I like the earlier series with Amanda Burton best.
on 4 February 2011
Its old - mobile phones were not everywhere - but human nature hasn't altered - great characters and great stories but not too closely related to the latest (13th?) series - will be buying them all!
on 11 October 2009
As one who loves almost all of the British crime dramas that I am able to find, I found this one to be well written and well acted. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves such characters as Patricia Cornwell's "Scarpetta". This is along the same lines and, in my opinion, a well done series. I look forward to adding more of them to my collection.