VINE VOICEon 22 May 2008
After losing one of my secure digital memory cards, I decided that it was time to invest in some proper storage for them. Strangely enough I discovered that there isn't actually a great variety of products designed for this purpose. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but I could only find this Lowepro memory card holder and a SanDisk one. Nevertheless I decided to buy this one and for the most part I'm very happy with it.

It does what it's designed to do, offering stylish protection for my memory cards. There is nothing major I can fault about the card holder itself. It's compact, well built, gives you easy access when you need it, while remaining shut when you don't, and honestly it looks pretty professional and rather neat.

Like other reviewers have rightfully mentioned it would have been good if the card holder was dust and or waterproof. But the only real failing is that it isn't exactly good value for money. Nearly fourteen pounds at time of ordering seems a bit extreme. For that reason I cannot award this product five stars. But still I suppose the price is reasonable when compared to the cost of losing a memory card along with its contents. So still a good purchase and one I'm glad I made.
Beware that the V1 is not the 'old' version of this item, it's designed to hold different types of memory cards from the V2. If you want to hold SD, MMC, MSD or XD cards, this is the one you need.

I bought one of these to keep my SD cards safe - I have 7 of the little babies to carry with me to feed my Canon G9 and my Edirol R-09. Carrying them in their own little plastic cases was getting bulky and fiddly.

The Pixel Pack is quite compact; about the size of an iPod, and has a secure press-latch to hold it closed. It's very solidly built, and I can't imagine that treading on it accidentally would damage its precious cargo, as the rubber liners touch back-to-back, making it very solid when closed.

It has 8 dual-purpose cut-outs inside, and when closed, 4 in each half come face-to-face, keeping the cards safely in place (at least SD or MMC cards, that is).

The MSD and XD cards fit slightly deeper in the holes, and I can imagine that, because they don't come into direct contact with their opposing twins in the other half of the shell when closed, they could come loose in transit. SD cards are held in place with small rubber spurs, but they are not gripped with a huge amount of resistance. Fortunately, the case, when closed, holds them in place. Not so for MSD and XD cards, though there's no way they can fall out completely.

The case does not, unfortunately, have a positive rubber seal around its perimeter to completely exclude dust and water. This is a missed opportunity, as given the design, this would have been very easily achievable. Something for the next release, I think.

It would also have been possible for the case to hold more cards were it not designed as multi-purpose. Having been dedicated to any of the individual card types, it would have been able to hold 16 instead of 8 cards. I suspect this is more down to reducing the number of different versions which need manufacture and stocking than it is practicality. I don't imagine many people tend to carry a mixture of different types of memory cards.

All in all, worth the purchase price, but it missed out on being perfect for the above reasons.
on 4 January 2009
This product was on my husband's Christmas list because he tended to keep all his SD cards in the little plastic cases that they come packaged in and he wanted something where he could store them together. This item seemed to fit the bill in that there is not only room to fit plenty of cards but that they are securely held in the rubber inserts.

My husband is very happy with the case, but his only gripe is that it could benefit from having some sort of ridge on the outside edge, because on a couple of occasions his thumbs slipped off the smooth plastic while trying to open it and the whole lot ended up on the floor.

Otherwise, good value for money and it does exactly what it says on the tin.
on 6 March 2010
I have a number of these both the V1 and the V2 style. And they are both fantastic.

Amazon please change the photograph on the V1 style page to accurately reflect the item being purchased. The picture on the V1 and the V2 page is a combination of both and the first one I purchased was a V1 when what I really wanted was a V2, and yes I know the description is there but the image is what sells.
on 24 March 2015
This is nice enough, but it promises more solidity than it delivers I think.

This is a solid looking memory case that can hold eight SD or xD memory cards, with some protection (the outside is moulded plastic that feels strong to the touch, while inside it looks like moulded rubber has been used to create the places where we hold the cards).

My grumbles are that:

1) The hinge doesn't feel strong (one case I dropped shattered the hing, and I only dropped it a small distance),

2) The clasp holds the thing closed breaks easily.

3) The cards can fall out if they aren't pushed in securely.
on 2 February 2010
Does what it says, changable plastic inserts for different size cards. Shame is not dust proof. Only down side is you can tell it is Made in China type quality, plastic molding lock mechanism may not stand the test of time if not careful. But one should really be careful handling SD cards anyways!
on 30 March 2010
This is a neat well made product that is an excellent solution to the problem of protecting small SD cards. Good value for money and I would recommend it without hesitation.
on 7 November 2010
I use both the SD and CF versions of this device. It is solid, compact and fast to access. If you have both types you can mix and match the inserts to carry a variety of card types in one small pack.

If you just use CF (for SLR work) consider the - ThinkTank Pixel Pocket Rocket Memory Card Holder. It's bigger than a Pixel Pack V1, but holds 10CF and is easy to use.

Unfortunately neither of the above has a seal around the edges of the case to keep dust and water out. If you need feature consider - Delkin SD Memory Card Tote (Holds 8xSD cards) (DDACCSD8) but that is a bit bigger.
Feels nice and solid and will defintely protect my SD cards.

It actually fits inside my Hard Case along with my Panasonic Lumix TZ10 without too much of a squeeze, so will probably fit in the same with similar sized cameras.

It also comes with a replacement insert to allow you to carry a PCMCIA adapter along with 4 SD cards rather than the 8 cards as standard.

Looks-wise it's fine. A brushed metal finish, but this is probably something you'll stash in a bag or camera case, so looks are not that important. It's the kind of thing you buy for convenience and protection and on those points it scores very highly.
on 5 February 2013
I love this card holder! I use it on holiday when I'm out and about and dont want to carry several SD cards in seperate cases. This way I have quick and easy access to up to 8 SD cards. The case is stylish, I really like the design. The rubber inside of the case is nice too and gives extra protection in case its dropped. Can honestly 100% recommend this item.