on 8 April 2009
K'nex wasn't around when I was a child, but I'm making up for lost time now! my 6 year old son received this as a present and hasn't stopped playing with it since!

The kit contains a number of rods of different lengths, which snap together using different shaped 'cogs' - imagine a flat snowflake, the rods clip into the shape on the circumference of the cog (or snowflake) either end on or length wise, the cogs also come in sections, such as half a cog or an acute angled cog, and these combined with a few other shapes mean that it is easy to build 3-d models. The kit comes with clear pictorial instructions how to build the models, so children don't need to be able to read to follow them. It also contains a some wheels. so as well as the 20 suggested models, you can build anything you like.

I would say that although 400 pieces sounds like a lot, it's not, but it is enough, some of the pieces are small rings for spacing things, or small clips to hold things in place, or very small short rods, so the box looks as if you get more than there is.

However once you have this as a starter set it is easy and cheap to buy more on e bay, as you can never have too much.

I highly recommend this product as everyone will play with it, it suits any age group, girls and boys, it gets a young mind thinking creatively, and seems indestructible. It is also great to give as a gift, as if a child already has some, it is fantastic to get more so bigger models can be built.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 November 2011
The Knex pieces are smaller in 2011 than they were during the mid 90's; possibly a way of cutting costs, but the fun is still the same. Like a lot of these boxed-up construction sets, you expect the box to be jam-packed with pieces, but even this 400pcs tub has plenty of air-room inside. If you're a fan of construction sets then this won't be an issue because you can store all your other pieces in this box too and start a bigger collection. I would definitely recommend this set because it encourages people to develop important skills such as patience, instruction-following and, if the instructions are boring, imagination to create something unique.
on 10 March 2009
This is an excellent construction toy and even though it costs a lot both my 7 year old and 9 year old (both girls) really enjoy making the models illustrated in the enclosed leaflet. The easy way the pieces fit together also encourages them to experiment and build their own unique constructions. Very sturdy pieces do not break easily. Really good quality.
on 15 July 2009
We bought this as a sixth birthday present for our son - even though the minimum recommended age is seven. However, having bought and loved the Kid K'nex series, we thought we'd take the chance. The pieces are quite small and fiddly, and a lot harder (even for adults!) to figure out at first, but you soon get the hang of it. And so did our son, who loves it. I think this will be a toy that grows with him - as challenging as he wants it to be, whatever age he is. Both educational and fun...recommended.
on 7 April 2009

The kit contains a number of rods, which snap together using different shaped 'cogs' - imagine a flat snowflake, the rods clip into the shape on the circumference of the cog (or snowflake) the cogs also come in sections, such as half a cog or an acute angled cog, and these combined with a few other shapes mean that it is easy to build 3-d models. The kit comes with clear pictorial instructions how to build the models, and also contains a few wheels. This means you can create your own inventions.

I would say that although 400 pieces sounds like a lot, it's not. Some of the pieces are small rings for spacing things, or small clips to hold things in place, or very small short rods, so the box looks as if you get more than there is.

I highly recommend this product as everyone will play with it, it doesn't need batteries, it suits any age group, girls and boys, it gets a young mind thinking creatively, and seems indestructible.
on 16 May 2010
I just want to echo the warnings from others here about the sparse contents of this tub. I bought not exactly this one but a 325-piece tub and it was very disappointing indeed to take off the lid and find how very little there was inside. More recently I bought my son the 1,000-piece tub and he hasn't stopped playing with it since! K'nex is marvellous and I strongly recommend the 1,000 piece tub which I've given a 5-star review but in my opinion, the tubs with fewer pieces simply don't contain enough. You could of course buy two 400-piece tubs and put all the contents in one tub but do the maths - unsurprisingly, you get a lot more for your money with the 1,000-piece tub, even though it is horrifyingly expensive!
on 19 December 2009
My children love the K'nex toys and the 1000 piece tub was fairly good value but the contents of this tub was very sparse! There is little point having it in a great big tub like this, the size of the parts were much smaller than the 1000 piece tub and this could have been packaged in a box one quarter the size!
K'nex is an excellent educational toy but this tub is very poor value.
on 19 April 2010
I bought this for my son, as a change from Lego, and I was shocked at how little one gets for the money! It comes in a huge tub, which fools you into thinking you are getting a lot more for your money than you really are. The contents of the tub lie on the bottom, filling about a sixth of the space. The pieces are very small and fiddly, for the age group recommended. My son's attention just wasn't grabbed by the construction ideas at all. I would not buy again. Lego is far better value for money.
on 2 January 2011
Very disappointed with this, bought this as it appeared to be a box containing 400 pcs of K'nex, well I guess it does but it's not the full size K'nex, it also has contains many "Lego" style pieces. Probably fine if your child does not already own the full size K'nex, but do not but this if you think you are getting 400 pcs to ad to an existing collection!!. Very misleading picture on the product box!!!!!
on 4 March 2010
My daughter who is 6 was able to build some toys with a little help from me.The only downside is that the pieces are smaller than normal.

Unfortunately you have to dismantle one built toy to build another one.

Overall was very pleased with the purchase.