Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 9 June 2017
good dvd for the money I paid
on 31 July 2007
Life in Victorian Britain(1995) is an OK documentary using excellent pictures and photographs of the age. The sound quality is poor on the DVD but apart from that its watchable. I recommend this for beginners in the victorian era, it covers most parts of the era from lower classes to upper classes, industry and empire and has interviews and dramatised readings. The DVD is one hour long, and also includes a picture gallery. Not a brilliant dvd but i learned alot from it so i recommend.
on 18 August 2014
Amateur and scratchy. Threw it away, or gave it away, cannot recall I was so disappointed. I thought it was aimed at young children as a sort of history lesson, rather than a historical journey for Adults depicting life as it was in Victorian times. I thought the film was shoddy, and a waste of money. Would never recommend it to anyone. Not even to schools to show to children. Definitely not something I would spend any money on again.
on 17 March 2014
A very poor quality DVD with little or no in depth information regarding victorian life in general more detail can be found in other cheaper sources.
on 10 August 2009
This is an interesting DVD, which does pack in a lot of good information. However,I find the constant 'criticism' over the class system of Victoria's age both unnecessary and hypocritical. We in the West today are living with even greater differences in real wealth between rich and poor than they had then.

Victoria's reign was in fact England's heroic age. A time in which the population, industrial and military strength of both Great Britain and Europe, all grew faster for longer; than ever before or since. It was an age that saw a highly sucessful English ruling class create the largest Empire the world has ever seen. This Empire in turn allowed the establishment of the first genuinely worldwide economic system; a system we all benefit from even today.

The Victorian educational system was, in it's day, the best in the world bar none; as were the British engineering, banking, shipbuilding, and railway industries. In medical and scientific research, England took a world lead which has only recently been lost; and many other Victorian achievements could easily be added to this list.

To conclude; this programme does have a lot to offer, but I feel that there was far more positive information on Victoria's age which could have been included in order to give a more balanced view. Life In Victorian Britain [DVD]
33 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2009
I ordered dvd this hoping I could use it as part of my Project Victorian Britain with my class of nine year olds. It was very interesting but too adult for them. Perhaps this could have been mentioned in the description?
on 20 October 2014
What an awful resource. The music throughout is too loud and you can hardly hear the speakers - and as for them they drone on and on with very little use of images etc. My intention was to use it with my class - I couldn't!
on 6 January 2013
Used this for Victorian project at school and it was really useful. Lots of information and bringing it to life for the students. Excellent.
on 26 February 2013
A very quick and superficial approach to Victorian Life in Britain. Probably at late Primary School level. . Not worth the money.
on 3 June 2011
I missed this series of programmes when televised so I bought the series. Worth every penny. Informative and insightful. Some drollery but lots of facts.
Was left wanting more, but I think that is a sign of its quality rather than incompleteness.