Customer reviews

on 19 November 2010
This was a disappointing purchase. We are treated to watching short episodes of a couple of boffins glossing over an area of Anglo Saxon life for a few minutes, before rapidly moving on. The material is very dated, with the filming being done about 20 years ago! The rest consists of a few scenes from an outdoor museum. There is nothing of interest here and I regret this purchase.
on 20 August 2007
I'm fascinated by the Anglo-Saxons and have studied them as part of my degree, so I was excited to see this is available. Unfortunately it is extremely dull. I only managed the first fifteen minutes, about five of which were taken up by a re-enactor wearing a blanket who explained that the Anglo-Saxons wouldn't have been able to pop to the supermarket whenever they wanted to. News at Ten. Really old-style talking heads stuff with "re-enactment" that just seemed to be local children wearing wellies ploughing fields. Give it a miss.
22 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2012
I bought this DVD for school as we are studying the Anglo-Saxons in history. I was hoping that it would show lots of re-enactments of village life but unfortunately, it was mainly 2 men talking to the camera. The information they gave was useful, but i had to translate everything to the children as it was not in child-friendly language. I would definately recommend the videos on the history section of the bbc website instead [...]
Much more child friendly and interesting.
on 27 December 2012
This DVD is total rubbish. As an historian I wished I had not bought it. Non informative do not buy.
on 12 December 2014
Dave Thirlwall is Lord all must fear and respect him. We are but twigs in the village of Thirlwall
on 8 January 2015
Well done and very informative. Not the dark ages but a golden age
on 12 December 2014
This man is dangerous! Stay away at all costs
review image