on 21 July 2008
I bought this printer as a compromise based on budget. I've not owned a Canon printer before and although I was aware of their standing in the colour printer business I have no experience of it until now.

Firstly, its a lot of printer in so many ways, none more so than the sheer bulk... this is not a discreet desktop model believe me. But get past that and I guarantee this is the best A3 printer you will own. The colour depth and quality are excellent and it reproduces 6mp images from my Nikon to such an amazing quality it looks like professional printing. Thats the main reason I have given it top marks really and one other important thing...

Sooooo many manufacturers now feel it is OK to rip off the consumer with high priced inks that require the whole set changing when one goes...Epsom for example and they have 6 or 8 cartridges!! This Canon is simplicity itself. When you lift the lid, the cartridge blinks at you... the faster the blink, the nearer it is to changing and finally, when it is 100% empty and not before, it gives you an expired warning But best of all these inks are only about £8-10 each one lasts about 200+ A3 sheets and there are only four of them (if you feel you need more this is not the printer for you). I have found them online in a bundle as low as £4.00 so when you only need one ink, it is well worth it.

One small negative. Its a tad on the noisy side when printing and loading paper but then again, what inkjet printer isn't!

Buy this printer if you want to print large photos or graphics to hang on your wall and be proud of. That's what I needed it for and it hasn't disappointed me one bit. Result!
1212 comments| 238 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 August 2008
I have had an Epson A3 for several years. When it packed up I was told it would cost almost £200 to repair! I decided to look for a replacement. The
A3 epson had some poor reveiws so I looked at the Canon printers. I was stunned by the possible saving, so checked the replacement ink prices. These too seemed very reasonable. So I took the plunge, I have many other Canon products that all have proved to be top quality.
I have been amazed by this machines speed and exceptional quality printing on all types of media. The A3+ size glossy prints are superb, and mono photo prints are rich in tonality and depth.
I agree with one or two others it is a bit clunky taking the paper in, and spits it out with venom, a minor issue. The results make this an outstanding product I would recommend to anyone requiring upto A3+ printing with results far above the budget A3 printer price.
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2007
I was looking to purchase an A3 printer but was apprehensive about it, owing to the problems I had heard about them in general. This one was reasonably priced and was delivered swiftly. It is a fantastic machine! Reliable, has never chewed up a piece of paper and economical on ink. Highly recommended to anyone looking to purchase an A3 printer.
on 18 November 2009
I've been using the Canon Pixma IP4700 at work and the results are very good so I thought I would invest in my first Canon A3+ printer. Setup was easy in Windows 7 and I just had to download and install a Canon add-on which gave me all the features I need and it even changed the icon for the printer!

Next I did loads of prints straight from photoshop in all sizes and the results are impressive - I would suggest using a ColorMunki or similar to match screen colours to prints though. Then I tried a few black and white prints - this is where it all goes horribly wrong. B&W prints come out in a faint sepia tone and compare very poorly to the same print on the IP4700. After some hefty internet research I sadly released that this is a known issue - the printer does not use the black cartridge unless it is printing text so black is made up from mixing Cyan, Yellow, and Magenta!

So - a decent A3+ colour printer is completely ruined because it is incapable of producing a true black. I am returning it to Amazon today (they agreed without argument which is great customer service but suggests that this isn't the first time for them with this printer).
55 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 October 2006
I bought this printer because I wanted to print A3 engineering drawings as well as A4 engineering reports and specifications. The printer is very easy to set up and I had it working very quickly. I use the printer with a wireless print server and it is kept in my office. I have two laptop computers which access it wirelessly and I print A4 and A3 documents from one or the other. The printer seems to be very fast compared to previous printers. The fact that it uses four ink cartridges is a definte advantage. I have had the printer for about 3 weeks and it has jammed only once - but I managed to clear it using the instructions from the electronic manual. I have yet to use it to print photographs - but I have every confidence that it will be a success. I am very pleased with my purchase - it is a very large machine but seems to be will engineered.
33 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2007
I bought this printer 6 weeks ago to print A3 photo's, excellent results

up until now, no problems whatso-ever with installation.

Would recommend without hesitation.
on 20 May 2010
I'm a graphic design student and bought this printer at the beginning of my 2nd year to avoid uni printing costs.
I'm about to finish my 3rd year now and it's lasted well so far, lots of printing, big jobs just before deadlines, it's never died on me for no reason. Easy to set up on a mac. Big and not stylish but it's main purpose isn't to look pretty!
Ink consumption - hard to say, I usually stock up on 4 cartridges just before my deadline, when I know I'll be printing between 250-400 A4pages, B&W and colour, and maybe about 30-50 A3, and that should last me long enough (unless I have loads of fully black backgrounds, but that's to be expected). Cleaning/maintenance is easy, tells you how to do it, what to check etc. Nozzles have not clogged once yet!

Pros:
* It does borderless printing, including A3
* Seems to accept all sorts of different types of paper (including laser and t-shirt transfer prints)
* Four ink tanks - saves you money on ink, definitely
Cons:
* Colours aren't always as vibrant when doing borderless printing and black is never black. This could be my settings but I've tried so many settings and tests that I doubt it's just my settings, when regular A3 printing in black is fine.
* There's a significantly long pause in between prints. Lets say I'm printing a 20 page word document or PDF - it take ages!! about 10-20 seconds between each print. I don't know if other have had this problem but it's become a real pain having to wait so long.

Overall: It's generally a pretty good printer, just ashame about time delay when printing documents that are several pages long. Shame about black not perfect when borderless printing. But I've used it heavily during almost 2 yrs and it's always survived, and hardly needs cleaning.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 July 2007
I am using complicated diagrams to model subsistence economies, and as the diagrams have become more complex the font has had to be so substantially reduced that it is almost illegible when printed on A4. It came to a choice between A4+sellotape or an A3 printer. I saw the reviews for this on Amazon and opted to buy the printer.
Apart from being spatially challenging (I had to move my whole office around to get it in, because it is so much larger, horizontally, than an A4 printer), it is excellent.
The installation instructions were straight forward, the printer prints to A3 and other paper sizes without any fuss, the paper feed does the job of feeding just one page at a time (not a foregone conclusion), and the print quality (even on my more complex diagrams) is very good.
It has not come into any conflict with my existing printer/scanner/copier, which is still the default.
You will need your own Type A to Type B USB cable for it.
Amazon sells the replacement cartridges - you need four of them - but until I've had the printer for a few months I won't know how long they last.
on 7 August 2008
I was looking for a low cost A3 printer that would produce high quality text and graphics (not photos) on thick (250+gsm) paper and didn't cost an arm and a leg in ink. This is definitely the right product - it does everything I wanted and more, easy to install (on XP) and arrived bang on time. Totally recommended.
on 24 January 2009
just to say excellent printer, use it for display boards with high gloss A3 paper, great resolution, does great borderless prints, still have not had a problem with it, and replaced the cartridges on it twice.. great