Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 July 2006
Guys, gals, you have GOT to get this CD, I have always liked Nina, she has such a sultry voice, it makes you want to curl up on a bed with black silk sheets, drink champagne and eat strawberries whilst you listen to this magical artist belt out all her amazing songs.

This CD contains most of Ms Simone's best music from over the years, and you are treated to such musical wonders as "Feeling Good", the funky and toe tapping "My Baby Just Cares For Me" and the thought provoking "To Be Young Gifted and Black."

I only wish the CD included the troubled and haunting melody "Strange Fruit", in this throatily sung song Nina told the world in allegory about the lynching of Black men, and who can forget those heartfelt lyrics as she cries out to a seemingly uncaring nation, "Strange fruit hangin' from the poplar trees..."

Quite simply the best, like Nina herself.

1. Ain't Got No... I Got Life

13. Since I Fell For You

14. Nobody's Fault But Mine

15. I Think It's Going To Rain Today

16. Sinnerman

17. Times They Are A Changin'

18. Mr Bojangles

19. Here Comes The Sun

20. To Love Somebody
As far as CDs released to cash-in on a television commercial for a yogurt company go, this is unquestionably one of the best, but you can find other, more extensive, Nina Simone compilations available much cheaper. Here you get no liner notes in the booklet, just half the songs found on superior collections and a Müller sticker on the jewel case.

What you won't get on other compilations is that GrooveFinder remix as featured in the Müller ad, but in being a 'very best of' you're also missing out on some of the tracks you won't have heard zillions of times before. Fair play, though, 99% of listeners will still enjoy this CD from start to finish. The music contained within is even sweeter than a Müller Amoré Walnut & Greek Honey Luxury Yogurt.
on 21 May 2006
I bought mainly because it had Sinnerman on it from Life on Mars but just about every track is a classic that seems to have been covered by lots of other singers although none are a patch on these. Its hard to single out any particular songs but the first 4 tracks/Sinnerman and Mr Bojangles are just amazing - perfect chill out music for a bbq or while having a romantic meal!
on 6 February 2009
A decent overview of her career- it's cheap and cheerful in that regard. If you just want a basic set of the songs you probably already know, this will do. If you have any other interest, such as her jazz-soul records like Brown-Eyed Handsome Man or I'm leaving then look elsewhere. This is apparently part of Sony's musicmadesimple range; no I hadn't heard of it either, but wish that I had before I wasted £3 of my money on this cd. You get a flimsy card with a pullout that houses the cd, meaning that multiple listenings will scratch the cd to bits. If you want any kind of liner notes you will be disappointed. You don't get any thing telling you about these recordings. And I mean anything- it's the song titles and nothing else at all. Even though I'm pretty sure there are laws about not including song-writing credits, Sony couldn't be bothered. Although the music clearly spans a few decades, you aren't told when these songs were recorded or even when they were released. The back of the cd directs you to the musicmadesimple website for full album credits. Give it a try before you buy- I looked on the website and this album was nowhere to be found. Maybe they were there when the album was released, but it isn't there anymore. So you've got a cheap, shoddy little album that is probably the worst packaged cd I have ever come across. And for some reason they've included a remix version of Ain't Got No, I got Life. That one's going to look just as silly as the Blue duet with Stevie Wonder that turned up on his Definitive Collection a few years ago (that's if it doesn't already- I don't have any recollection of the song being on a Muller advert, but if that's what people are using to help identify their musical purchases then it really is quite amusing.) As for the music, it's some of the great music of the 50's and 60's. Just a shame that it's quite uneven and captures so many distinct points in her career. I only got this to flesh out the non-Phillips recordings which I never used to have much interest in. A message to Sony- and this music made simple division they have set up(which to me means cheaply produced tat)- if it ain't broke don't fix it. Everyone's getting by quite easily by putting cd's into cases and printing some of the details about the music that most listeners might be interested.
44 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2006
I originally bought this album for 'Sinnerman' from the Thomas Crown affair soundtrack but was soon listening to the rest of it too. The first four tracks are fantastic, as are Mr. Bojangles and Sinnerman but all the tracks on this album are great. Truly a fantastic album, one of the best I've bought for a long time. Well worth the money.
on 17 July 2006
I've always suspected that I was going to love Nina Simone. I'm only sorry that it has taken me so long, and a 'best of' to discover her. I've loved so many of the songs on this collection and it was just magical listening to this the first time - all the more so because I know that this one is going to be a favourite. It's a great mix for a first introduction - many will no doubt go on to discover her more intimate side - this lady has got soul.

A have to have.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 December 2015
There are many Nina Simone compilations out there but I chose this one because others didn't have all the major tracks I remembered in one place. Thus this disc starts off superbly with Ain't Got No, I Got Life; My Baby Just Cares For Me; Feeling Good; and I Put A Spell On You. Later on there's also Sinnerman, which is the track that seems hardest to get on Best Of style compilations. Nina Simone has such a huge catalogue it's difficult to decide what's the 'Very Best', but this comes pretty close as a great introduction to a supreme talent. Missing from here are her more politicised works such as Mississippi Goddam and Strange Fruit, with a collection that concentrates 75% on Simone's fabulously well chosen covers of writers such as George Gershwin, Bob Dylan, Randy Newman, The Gibb Brothers, George Harrison, and Bacharach & David; with 25% her own work - and here her humanity shines through on tracks made famous by others such as Young, Gifted & Black and Nobody's Fault But Mine. As an introduction this is a fine place to start.
She died at the age of 70 in 2003. So what? She is extremely alive now. Her music is massive. She is one of the greatest singer/ performers/piano and keyboard players/ arrangers/ writers and composers of the second half of the twentieth century. In most aspects of the business she excelled except in the financial side. On this wonderful CD there are blues and jazz arrangements, there are popular songs and songs for the civil rights movement and for women's liberation but they are written for everybody. There is powerful righteous anger and a search for dignity. On a personal level I can listen repeatedly to ' I wish I knew how it would feel to be free'. Nina is still 'Young, gifted and black'. She sings out of a lived reality.'Mr Bojangles' is not just any old pop song. Everywhere she searches for truth and finds it. This CD can be put right alongside 45 tracks of 'The Essential Nina Simone'.Also her autobiography-'I put a spell on you'- has tremendous integrity. She tells the truth and it stands up. Buy this! Go on buy it!
on 26 December 2013
Nina Simone is a wonderful singer and entertainer and is of an era where real singing was on offer and every quirk could be heard. No gimmicks, no myriad dancers to distract, just pure vocal brilliance. Five stars for Nina - i wish there were more like her today. There ae some of course, who can actually sing, but many that rely on background music and other distractions, or trying to dance and perform too much as well. They may be called 'versatile' but to be honest, when you are listening to a cd or the radio, you don't get those distractions, and the voice is key. Nina Simone is one of those singers who gives you all her skill by using her voice alone. Excellent.
on 4 October 2006
In short, this album is excellent, and I'm not saying that just because I bought it.

This isn't the sort of music that I'd normally buy, however I found this album to be chock-full of absolutely fantastic music. The entire album from start to end will have you singing along in no time.

My recommendation - buy it now, and you won't regret it.