on 18 February 2012
I enjoyed this series very much and watched the whole set over a few days.

All 7-8 leading characters are lovable and acted very well.

Although described even on the BBC site as dark comedy and at other places tagged as black comedy, I hardly found it so, and don't let yourself be deterred if you are not fond of these types of comedy, even if it does contain in some places stronger sexual references.

I could hardly find any moments that may be tagged as offensive or disturbing.

The set contains all 12 episodes from series 1 & 2,which is all there is, six on each disc.

Sadly there are no extras and no commentaries whatsoever, which could have been very enjoyable.

Both seasons contain English subtitles, but the second is much better subtitled, as it's much more accurate, with the subtitles in the first series often having large chunks of spoken text missing or changed. They're also much more clear on screen than in the first one.

Another advantage of the second series is the blessed removal of the laughter track from all episodes. It was present and non-removable in all of the first series, and was embarrassing at times as it seemed out of sync with the laugh-out-loud moments.

Overall had very good time watching.
7 people found this helpful
on 25 November 2014
WEIRD BUT WONDERFUL. This is a gem from early 2002/03 it is funny and silly and sad. I must admit it's missing a third season that was never made that would end things a lot happier. Even with a sad ending the acting and the amazing cast and the cuteness of this strange plot is worth watching and although Ms French is a chameleon this character's incarnation is really a stand out from her many roles. Teamed with the talented and very young Catherine Tate, the two have a really fascinating dynamic that is sincere and addictive. If you love Dawn French and Catherine Tate you will love this show, The second series is much better than the first but the unmade third series which I live in hope will be made would have given these weird but wonderful characters the end they deserved. A true comedy fan will love this odd show.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 August 2017
Enjoyed it mostly. Like most of the characters.
It does push the limit of how much "crazy" I can take tho.

If comedy crosses that line then for me it is just silly and I turn it off.
Like... "Murder Most Horrid". Just could not take it.
"The Vicar of Dibley" LOVED IT. All with Dawn French.
on 2 April 2017
not bad at all
I did not see it when it was on the telly and noticed it on the recommended box so thought I would give it a try
and it was well worth it silly comedy
on 6 June 2011
wild west 1&2 brilliant show and underated a great set of characters dawn freanch catherine tate are lesbians until something better comes along jake the local fisherman holly owns the whitch craft center bill bailey supplies the shop and other zany characters this show needs to be watched a couple of times to take the characters in .i think people did not like this much because the were compearing it to vicar of dibley .set in cornwall with great casta bargin price worth every penny
on 15 February 2013
Very enjoyable series. I laughed at loud at least once every show, which is more than I can say with most sitcoms, and the "Cornish Flu" episode had me rolling on the floor. I love the setting (Cornwall, England), the characters are allowed to develop without having to redeem themselves -- a refreshing anomaly. The relationship of the main characters is complex & touching, not to mention eccentric. It's a must have for Dawn French fans.
on 23 January 2015
Amusing comedy with colourful characters living slightly sureal lives in deepest Cornwall. Dawn French and Catherine Tate have a strange and amusing ambiguous lesbian relationship which you are never really sure about and are kept guessing in both series.
on 27 March 2018
All fine
on 6 November 2015
Quirky, funny, slightly bizarre series with some wonderful characters, well acted and engaging. A pity it stopped after just 2 series.
on 13 November 2014
I had this dvd before and I loved the series so much that I bought it for my brothers birthday he loved the dvd so much that I might buy another