Customer reviews

Let Me Sing/By Request
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 November 2006
Unlike some of Brenda's more popular earlier pop/rock orientated discs these tracks show the sheer versitility of her voice and artistry. It is criminal that the record companies and Brenda can't come to an amicable agreement about payment, and release some more of these fantastic and grossly under-rated tracks - like so many of the melody based recordings from the mid/late-1960's it's only now that they are being fully appreciated.
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 29 April 2014
The ninth and tenth albums of Brenda's career are dominated by ballads. They include the hits Break it to me gently, Losing you, I wonder, As usual and (in America) The grass is greener. The other tracks are mostly covers, including the fifties classic Tammy (originally recorded by Debbie Reynolds), which is incorrectly listed by the record label, even in the CD booklet, as Tommy.

Apart from that minor error, this is a great collection of mostly easy listening music that shows no sign of Brenda's earlier rocking music. Even the ballads are done a little differently, most noticeably on I love you because, where there seems to be plenty of backing singers. I don't mind this as I listen to plenty of such music by other singers, but I wasn't expecting it from Brenda.

The record label that released this series of original albums as twofers decided to stop after the first ten albums, which is a shame but commercially understandable. Brenda's hits thinned out dramatically for the remainder of the sixties before she eventually switched to country music. Her late sixties pop music includes Is it true, Too many rivers, Comin' on strong and Johnny one time, but her days a big-time pop star were over.

Enjoy this release and its companions Grandma What Great Songs You Sang/Miss Dynamite,This Is...Brenda/Emotions,All the Way/Sincerely and Brenda That's All/All Alone Am I, but if he want her later original albums, you may be in for a long wait.
on 28 March 2011
Waiting for the 70's 80's and 90's LP's to be released on CD as well.
Would be great.
Brenda's still the best!!!!
on 15 April 2016
Ahem, yes well, I love Brenda Lee and often wondered why she hadn't been better supported, but now I know.
Now that I can afford the money I am able to buy her records again, and it's a minefield. But this one had a particular track on it:'Tammy' -On this record it's called 'Tommy' which shows just how much care the record companies care about these discs!

So, one thing they haven't mucked with is the unique quality of her voice, she can belt out songs and really make the room bounce, or she can sing soft and low, in a romantic way, but where she excels is in the sad love songs. Here there is a quality in her voice that just turns me inside out and has in past occasions reduced me to tears. After all these years they don't make me cry but they still pull at the heart strings.
But I have to say it: The black vinyl is better the sound is sweeter, but if you don't have a good record deck then this is a good alternative.
on 18 August 2014
As I've said before, anything Brenda Lee does always interest me, even if I have her albums on vinyl, I still collect, and listen to cd's
on 3 February 2015
Brenda at her best - a must have showing her great musicality