on 12 January 2007
Can only confirm the previous reviews! Received my TV today and played around with it for a few hours. It looks huge in my living room (seems much bigger than when you see it next to 50inch screens in the shop. Freeview picture quality is great and the functions this TV offers are more than sufficient for an "average" TV-viewer. Picture quality when playing DVD's is just amazing, and also the Playstation 2 looks pretty good on it (I can't wait to see a PS3 game on it).

So for this price it is definitely a good deal at the moment and the quality is definitely good enough to justify this investment! If it wasn't for the bad delivery service from HDNL, I would be even more than 100% happy with this purchase (but since this doesn't affect the product, I give the maximum stars).
17 people found this helpful
on 10 December 2014
Still working years later
on 21 October 2006
This Tv delivers what it says on the box. The picture quality is truly excellent. It came well packaged and with a good manual. Set up was straight forward. It is at its best when connected to my home cinema via HDMI. Picture quality is superb. So far I have got it to receive digital TV via its inbuilt box, analogue TV and Sky through my Sky Box. I cant fault it really. Its inbuilt sound is adequate, but you really need the home ceinema for the best experience.
17 people found this helpful
on 13 July 2006
The value for this plasma is amazing. With the 1024x1080 resolution you can watch DVD at the max industry media supported resolution @ 1080 (interlaced). I was amazed at the picture quality and as mentioned by the other reviewer do not let the in-store displays fool you with the poor signal.

I also use somtimes use this plasma for my laptop. I connect with a DVI to HDMI cable and it maintains the wide-screen aspect ratio (my previous tvs only supported 4:3 via pc connection) and crystal clear picture. Playing games via my laptop was a great experience and watching movies/music videos.

With DUAL HDMI inputs you can insure you will have the highest quality digital picture. This plasma is Playstation 3 ready which will utilize HDMI.

The sound for this plasma is decent. it incorporates a virtual dolby surround sound. While testing this it does not really compare to a true surround sound (i have a pioneer dcs-360 surround system) but it is still decent for watching movies and watching regular tv. I would recommend investing into a true surround sound if you want the ultimate cinema or gaming experience.

Positive things to point out:

*10,000:1 Contrast ratio

*1024x1080i resolution.

*Dual HDMI inputs.

*Nice big widescreen - clear picture - looks excellent mounted.

*DVDs looks absolutely fantastic

*3ms response time (fantastic for games - no ghosting)

conclusion:

There were alot of plasmas that were more expensive than this one but with lower resolutions and even lower contrast ratio. I am very happy with the purchase of this hdtv.

i bought this tv for £1200 but you could probably find it online for less than that. Comparing this to other plasmas of the same/similar specifications would cost around the £1700+ range.
54 people found this helpful
on 24 June 2006
Had this tv only 2 weeks and must say it is amazing!

After shopping around for a 42" plasma for some time i decided on this Philips (partly due to me having Philips tv's for some time without any faults). I was put off slightly when i viewed the tv in currys, comet etc as the picture quality did'nt seem that good, however the shop assistants said this was due to the poor signal which is received in their stores.

To my absolute delight they were correct. The picture is crystal clear (even without a hd signal) & even better on dvd & in my opinion a great price for a quality plasma tv.

In essence if you are considering buying one go for it, i am well pleased with it & the set up is the easiest i've ever come across!

Buy on line, i saved £350 from the high st price of £1500!!
42 people found this helpful
on 7 November 2006
I would agree with all the reviews on this Philips T.V. I've had it for just over a month now, and let let me just say 'wow' Its really great to watch, I dont have Sky HD yet but normal Sky looks quite good. My Xbox 360 looks awesome at 1080i. And I've downloaded some HD trailers from the Xbox Live Marketplace, this T.V. really does deliver.

I was dissapointed with the sound from the inbuilt speakers, but its not a problem for me because the telly is connected to my dolby sorround sound system.

If your looking for an HD telly then put this one on the list, good value for money

Picture : 5 stars

Inbult Speakers: 3 stars

Design: 4 stars
20 people found this helpful
on 7 December 2011
Bought two of these for hospitality suites. Amazing picture quality, the envy of other suite-holders (a motor racing circuit), great connectivity with loads of sockets, superb for presentations from a laptop and good sound. Can't fault them. Beware though, buy a good wall bracket and have three people to fit it to the wall - they are heavy! Sold one to friends with HD etc and they are absolutely delighted as I was, and hooked on Frozen Planet at the moment!
on 2 February 2008
This TV does a great job with both HD and analogue signals. Being a 1080i TV this TV is nearly as good as a 1080p TV but for much less the price. The TV has an S video connection which allows me to connect my laptop seamlessly. The sounds is aso quite good in my opinion and the different viewing settings are always very helpful. The TV can displan pic in pic via its two HDMI inputs but will not do pic in pic for analogue channels. Most TVs in his range won't od pic in pic at all. The TV'sdigital tuner is a good asset, and it has loads of Scart Video and Audio components.

All in all I rate this tv a 4.5/5
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 31 May 2007
I bought one of these last month after searching for a while and reading reviews. This TV is great, excellent picture, easy to set up/use, virtual dolby sound works well too. This replaced my 32" CRT Hitachi, it now feels like being in the cinema and the kids are thrilled. A bit annoyed that it is now selling for the amazing price of £685 on Amazon ! I wish I waited a few more weeks, however even at £799 that I paid for it,it is still fantastic value and the TV looks great too - I'm not a fan of the increasingly dominant black cased tv's taking the fore now, the silver surround is aesthetically pleasing.

You can't go wrong with this at that price! 5 stars
11 people found this helpful
on 4 July 2007
I read reviews before buying an item 'cos I believe customers more than manufacturers. However, in this instance I should have been more weary because this television does not allow an almost new and rarely used Philips DVD Recorder to be connected to it.
It is such a shame because I was overwhelmed by the beautiful silver/black appearance and wonderful screen view with the amazing colours. I sat open-mouthed for the first five minutes but then disappointment set in when my DVD recorder could not be fitted and however I contact Philips, they refuse to respond so I'm going to have to replace the TV with a more caring brand, such as Panasonic.
7 people found this helpful