Customer reviews

Faber-Castell Polychromos Colour Pencils Tin Of 120
Size: Tin Of 120|Change

on 1 December 2015
An incredible set of pencils with a really good selection of different colours. These are clearly of very good quality - they don't break easily, the colours are really vibrant. These are definitely worth an investment for producing high quality coloured pencil artwork. Perhaps buy another spare white/black or colours you use frequently. Can't fault these pencils at all - they were delivered in sufficient protective packaging too.
on 24 June 2016
OMG I love love love these pencils!!! They are just so lovely to use, blend really easy and are really easy to sharpen to a fine point without constantly breaking (turn the sharpener not the pencil!) I know they are top end expensive but I really love them. I use them for adult colouring books and I seriously cannot fault them. I've other pencils but these are by far my favourite.
on 9 June 2015
I managed to get these for £75 in Amazons deals at Christmas, I'd had my eye on them for a while so couldn't believe my luck! They really are every bit as good as the other reviews say, easy to build layers and a great selection of colours. The leads are soft enough to blend easily, without being too waxy like the Prismacolors, sharpen very well and won't break unless pressed very hard. If you're a beginner to coloured pencil work, I would always recommend you buy a smaller set first so you can get the measure of them, after all not everyone likes the same tools. However these are a great all rounder, and I'm glad I took the dive and got the full selection. Even though I got them in the sale, they are worth the £130.
on 13 May 2016
My order was scheduled for Sunday but they've arrived already! Opening the box and seeing the tin undanaged and completely brand new was such a great feeling. The pencils are amazing, such a high quality and they have a great feel in your hand. They shade and blend great alone but I'd recommend any other artists to also purchase a bottle of alcoholic spirit/solvent such as Zest-it, Gamsol or any other type that's had good feedback/reviews and use an acrylic brush and lightly dab and stroke it onto the colour to give it a stunning watercolour type finish. Amazing pencils, don't worry about the price because you will not be disappointed.
on 31 July 2014
....see it as an investment!

This is a quality tin of 36 'Polychromos' (many colours) Colour Pencils of 'Finest Artists Quality'.
The robust, hinged, dark green tin measures around 32.5 cm x 19 cm x 1 cm when closed.

Each coloured pencil has 'FABER-CASTELL' embossment along with 'Germany/Polychromos', the colour name and its unique code & 'SV'.
They are rounded barrel and completely smooth. They are easy to sharpen (and you can get a reasonably fine point) without losing half the pencil in the process of doing so, if my experience is anything to go by.

From the base of the tin
FEATURES:

1. Soft vibrant colour laydown
2. Thick oil-based lead, water-resistant & smudgeproof
3. High quality pigments in bright colours, unsurpassably lightfast and acid free
4. Lead SV bonded to prevent breakage

* Code 177 : WALNUT BROWN
* Code 271 : WARM GREY II
* Code 274 : WARM GREY V
* Code 199 : BLACK

The tin comes complete with a little leaflet which lists all 120 available colours to dream about (in my case) along with some useful tips such as:

* Use of different materials:
Polychromos artist's pencils adhere to many relatively rough surfaces such as paper, cardboard, wood, stone, leather or metal.

* Dense colour
Hold the pencil vertical and press hard to give areas of intense colour.

* Light to dark
Light colours are translucent, dark colours opaque. One colour on top of another increases the intensity and brings the colours to life.......

Also currently available in other sizes:

And you can always add to or create your own collection according to your crafty talent, 'by the pencil', as a lot of the colours are available singly, e.g.:

CAPUT MORTUM(!)
LIGHT FLESH
MEDIUM FLESH
HOOKER'S GREEN
ORANGE GLAZE
BURNT UMBER

OMG!
Nostalgia, again......I must be getting old!
That last colour reminds me of a seriously large paint box my Grandmother let me use an equally serious number of years ago!

Some further research confirms my memory does serve me well! A bit of history:

'1908 - Polychromos artists' colour pencils
Shortly after the Castell pencils, a further successful product came on the market: "Polychromos". From the start, they were available in 60 different hues, carefully matched to standard watercolour paints. Within a few years these pencils were familiar to artists as a top-quality product - their leading position remains unchallenged to this day.'

I couldn't agree more - my only regret is that I could not justify the price tag of the super set of 120, even on half price, but for the serious artist this can represent less than a pound a pencil, which isn't too bad for the best tools for the trade, I guess?
on 30 March 2016
Let me start by saying that I'm not a professional artist, I bought this set to indulge my love of adult colouring. It has every colour imaginable and then some. They sharpen well and don't break (I use the Faber Trio one)
Comes in a metal box containing 3 plastic trays that you lift out.
Colours come out on paper beautifully.
Highly recommend.
on 28 March 2016
Love love love these pencils! Ok they are very expensive but so worth it, I've had my set a few months now and not had 1 single lead break, even though my set came in a very badly dented tin my pencils are fine. They lay colour down well and blend like a dream in my opinion
on 2 December 2015
I've finally found a pencil which is better suited to my art style. These are expensive BUT totally worth the price, the quality is amazing!! I can finally add detail into my work without the constant sharpening and the lead breaking. I knew these were good but I didn't expect them to be this good. I absolutely love them so far!
on 12 October 2017
Absolutely brilliant. Excellently made and reliable in every aspect.
The best colour pencils one can buy.
Whether a professional artist or an amateur, these are THE colouring pencils one should buy.
One tiny niggle : I wish FC had added a protected layer on the upper layer as this would prevent pencil marks made on the inside of the tin. Easy to find something to protect from this happening but might it a little difficult to close the tin itself.
Anyway, an absolute must for pencil lovers.
on 7 April 2016
These have been top of my wishlist for a while

Only tiny let down is that the inner trays are plastic - which is a shame

The tin is good quality and the 3 trays have little handles to lift them in and out

Pencils are a great range of colours and lovely and soft. They blend easily and layer awesomely - I just love adult colouring with these and in my opinion they are the best of the best when it comes to colouring pencils!