on 6 December 2013
Whenever a truly great star expires, out come all the re-issues -- best of, very best of, the ultimate etc etc, which are usually all the same or similar tracks, but arranged in a different order. Roy's widow saw to everything after he'd gone, taking very tight control of his vast musical legacy, but then of course she died also. I'm in the process of ruthlessly down-sizing my rather overgrown collection, and to cover Mr. Orbison with just on or two discs is difficult, but in the end I went for this because it goes from his early days with Sun, through perhaps his greatest era with Monument (some re-recorded, but just as good as the originals) right into the 'revival' period centred around UK producer Jeff Lynn via the supergroup The Travelling Wilburys -- in fact from Ooby Dooby to California Blue and She's A Mystery to Me, stuff he did on the famous 'Black and White Night'. There's even a duet with Emmylou Harris. It doesn't come much better! The only 'yucky' track I don't like, and never have, and that's 'Pretty Paper' (too much Kleenex). Otherwise a great album. The Big 'O' -- a great bloke, a private family man, a unique voice and a great career. Certainly do miss those high notes though when I saw him singing live, but at least now I've got them as a memory for good -- well, I thought I had until I found the disc to be defective and had to return it. Needless to say there's a replacement on its way -- pronto, please Amazon!
3 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2017
My hero this singer. The voice of genius, the songs of pain. The sexiness of this voice still grabs me after all these years. The passion, the range of emotions that would make Verdi blush. This is a lovely collection that I listen to over and over with much pleasure.
on 8 November 2017
Well what can I say ? This is Roy Orbison - such a beautiful voice. Even Elvis said that Roy had the best voice in the world !!
on 4 April 2017
OK
4 people found this helpful
on 31 October 2017
The Big O just a great sound.
A great addition to my music collection.
on 30 April 2016
Have been a fan since he started, what a voice, watched a documentary recently on BB4 about Roys sad life, he had his fair share of misery, his voice is just amazing, also love to hear him with The Travelling Wilburys , I can thoroughly recommend this excellent CD all the hits are on there and a few more, some I've never heard, they are all good.
on 7 April 2018
This CD is full of all the best of Roy Orbison's songs, which I never tire of listening to. A must for any Orbison fan and really good value for money.
on 31 May 2017
Great cd
3 people found this helpful
on 24 August 2017
Luv this... Lovely teenage menories. So many Roy Orbinson top hits....perfect.
on 15 March 2018
An excellent compilation. After watching a programme about Roy's life on TV, I decided to buy the cd. Very pleased with it.