Customer reviews

Drawn to All Things: Songs of Joni Mitchell [Sacd/CD Hybrid]
Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICETOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 April 2017
Welsh jazz singer Ian Shaw is a brave man. Taking on the Joni Mitchell songbook takes guts!
I've loved her music from the beginning and have always been wary of "covers" but Mr Shaw's
interpretations are among the best. Intelligent, respectful, beautifully sung and refreshingly different.
His tender and subtly-nuanced rendition of 'A Case Of You' (a favourite of mine) is an absolute joy.

Highly Recommended.
on 12 December 2015
Like Lianne Carroll i enjoy listening to Ian Shaw live.
So again a few listens to his CD,s before i have
assimilated the whole.
on 4 November 2016
Generally speaking, I agree with whoever called jazz "the last refuge of the untalented", which makes it all the more surprising that Joni ever chose to get mixed up in it at one stage - the low point of her career. Being unprepossessing in looks, IS would never have made it as a pop or rock star, so went in for jazz. This is, nonetheless, a sensational set of interpretations of Joni's songs and I recommend it to her fans.
on 17 December 2017
Wince. I heard Somewhere Towards Love on Fip just now and thought, this is cool, so investigated and found Shaw's Joni Mitchell renditions. Bad choice, sorry, or maybe Ian needs to think it through a lot more while listening to Prince's version of A Case of You, for example.
on 24 March 2008
I really don't know where to start on this one. I feel like someone who bought Bear Stearns stock the day before they were picked up for pocket change by JP Morgan. After one listen I quickly resold this one (phew!). For a Joni Mitchell fan this is a marmite album i.e. you'll love it or hate it. Its nothing like Joni, and mashes the songs big time. My only advice is borrow this from a friend first and audition before acquiring. If you like safe 20th century jazz, then maybe you'll like this. From the other reviews I've read on this album though, it seems that fans love it. So of you like Ian, then I suspect you'll enjoy this one too - he obviously sings with feeling and skill. Music is just fantastically subjective.
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 February 2008
the superb quality of Ians voice, the songs, and the musicians, all make this an addictive album for anyone who likes good vocal music. The tracks other reviewers mention - case of you (wow!!!!!) barabgrill etc all deserve mention, but i've just gone back to look at which other tracks I would recommend, and theres just so many, if you look for any fillers on it you will find not a single one.

That was my reaction on my first hearing, of this CD and of Ian. I will be going to see Ian live as soon as possible, and getting his other cds. On the other hand I will approach other Joni tribute cds with caution as this seems to set the very high standard others should be judged by.
on 10 December 2006
I bought this album never having heard of Ian Shaw previously. My main reason for purchase was 1. I'm a big Joni Mitchell fan and was curious to hear how anyone could take on such personal songs (that I couldn't imagine anyone but Joni Mitchell singing) and 2. Being on Linn Records you know it's going to be a great quality recording.

When I put this into my SACD player the qulaity on the multi-channel layer knowocked me out - it's not a 'bells and whistles' mix - the surround being used mainly for ambience, but oh how Mr. Shaw's vocals jump out at you. The sub on the double bass is just right also.

Most importantly though Ian Shaws interpretation of the Joni Mitchell songs are exquisite (dare I say it I prefer this version of Edith and The Kingpin to the original). Something quite new is brought to each song with Ian Shaw being totally in control of these songs that I thought previously could not and should not be covered. The musicianship on the album is something to be admired as well with Richard Cottle figuring heavily on keyboards (a fellow welshman who played on many hits of the 80's working with 'clever' trevor horn).

What more can I say except one of those rare gems that you buy almost by chance and it turn out to be one of your favourite albums.
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 May 2006
This is the best collection of songs Ian Shaw has produced to date, by a country mile.

Not that there is much wrong with his earlier recordings, especially "Famous Rainy Day", but to actually IMPROVE on the damn near perfect Joni Mitchell originals here is a very impressive feat.

In my view, this is Ian Shaw's first "grown up" album, combining his exquisite, soulful voice and tasteful, understated piano accompaniment with some storming musicianship from the top drawer of UK jazz - Guy Barker and the Right Honourable Nigel Hitchcock add some scorching solos.

Please buy this record - and when you play it and you like it, go and watch him live - he's even better live!

Not that I'm a fan or anything....
on 14 July 2009
This is real slow burner. You need to listen a few times-ideally through headphones-to really appreciate Ian Shaw's superb vocals. As you would expect from the pen of Joni Mitchell, the songs are quality. If you are going to cover someone elses songs you realy need to give it your own feel. Although a lot of the songs were unknown to me prior to getting the album, Ian's arrangement of Chelsea Morning gives a whole new feel to what was arguably an all time classic. Definately an album for real music lovers.
on 13 March 2012
The pure joy in making this album is evident from chord 1: subtle and sublime material gives the amazing Mr Shaw`s instrument the platform to take us to the highs lows and every other emotion in between, of our own experience of listening. The musicians excel in their collective respect for Joni Mitchell; I, too, found Joni in a cassette called Blue:and she has accompanied me and obviously Ian, finding jazz,maturity, and the belief in yourself.
I could literally listen to Case of You over and over, and still weep tears of pain and ecstasy, Ian Shaws interpretation is that moving. ( not a pretty sight though when driving, panda style eyes and a drippy beak!!) What a great jazz musician you are Mr Shaw: thank you, and always, thank you Joni....
Buy this album, and go and see Ian whenever he is gigging near you. Much love and respect.