Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 27 September 2007
Season four of The Next Generation continues the improvement shown in season three and includes some great episodes. This season sees the introduction of the Trill (although with a different look to the one shown in Deep Space Nine), political change in the Klingon Empire and Wesley Crusher leaves for Star Fleet Academy. My favourite episodes of this season are those involving the Klingons, namely `Reunion', `The Mind's Eye' and `Redemption' but there are many other episodes of note such as `The nth Degree' and `The Drumhead'. There are a few rather poor episodes this season but not as many as in previous seasons, `Remember Me' and `In Theory' being the worst. Overall this season is great but still not as good as it could be and The Next Generation only improves from here.
on 9 June 2013
The DVD set was in the old fashioned chunky plastic case rather than the new slimline editions. However, the discs were in perfect order and played beautifully. Most satisfied.
VINE VOICEon 8 October 2003
Star Trek TNG started fantastically in season 1, then quite frankly it took a serious nose-dive into series 2. BUT, if you are an avid fan like me (I hate Star Trek really, but I love TNG....strange....), series 3 and 4 will keep you in your chair forever.
Due to the fact that the Borg are my favourite TNG baddies to watch, The Best of Both Worlds in both parts is my favourite episode of all. A lot of focus on different characters' family traditions and ties here; we see Worf challenge his own people for family honor, we see Picard in love, we see a child with the same fate that a young Wesley Crusher once encountered, and BEST of all, we see Data's 'Brother' and 'Father'.....Data is central to both series 3 and 4.
The only disappointing thing about S3 and S4 is that there aren't more episodes. In short....buy them now and you wont regret it!
on 16 April 2014
The makers of The Next Generation really started to push the boat out here. Diverse socio-comment driven character stories in the grand tradition of The Original Series. The whole cast are fleshed out and get to shine. It really started to improve during the third season and fell away a little in the last season, but that's true of so many series! So sit back shut the curtains or wait for night to arrive and enjoy! Loved it! Remastered Original Series is still a must though!
on 14 August 2013
Picture and sound is an improvement. I loved STTNG and I really hope they do DS9 like this. I really recommend. The storys stand up well but I am not so sure about the incidental music!!!
Good special features too.
on 12 May 2013
Star Trek: The Next Generation season 4 is top-class television. This season contains some of the strongest episodes in the entire series, out of all the 178 episode entries! Season three promised much and now the anti has been upped even more, it was enthralling.

All the cast that was assembled in season three is back in this season, as well as the stories are at a very high standard. The acting is brilliant also; each actor portrays their character to perfection as they develop throughout all the seven seasons. It is like one long journey in my view. How all the actors maintain the high standard of what they do without falling apart at any stage throughout the entire show is a question one might ask.

Some of the crews most memorable missions in this season include the finale to probably TNG's greatest ever story, "The Best Of Both Worlds, Part 2." Along with the unforgettable "Reunion" and the fantastic "Future Imperfect." "The Loss" really did show off Marina Sirtis's" acting talents and "Data's Day" was an interesting view on life from an android's perspective, with a sub-plot. "The Wounded" was a serious and emotional episode, one of the best, as was "Clues", a really intelligent episode, which was one of my personal favourites. The episode "Night Terrors" was the closest the TNG crew ever got to horror, a really good episode which reminded you of a psychological thriller in a way. "Identity Crisis" had a firm plot, with great effects, the recreation of the shadow on the holodeck always sent shivers up my spine. "The Drumhead" is perhaps the best in this season though, it is a really powerful tale about morality and justice and how the road from simple suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think. We get a really good story in "The Mind's Eye", about Geordi being controlled by Romulans in an attempt to destroy the alliance between the Federation and the Klingons. "In Theory" is really funny, a light-hearted one which this season needed as lots are of a serious nature. And "Redemption, Part 1" is outstanding, the first part of the movie-like blockbuster where Picard and Worf become entangled in the run-up to civil war on the Klingon Homeworld. A lot of the other episodes are good as well; each story is good in its own right. They are all different which is what makes TNG fresh, and original; a new adventure every time, there is something mesmerizing about each one. In terms of consistently good episodes, you can't go wrong with season 4.

Season 4 is amazing, one of TNG's best seasons besides 6. There is a strong body of episodes in this season concerning the Klingons and Romulans, which ultimately leads up to the season's finale - setting you up for it. There are hardly any bad episodes in this season, as this is where the writing peaked and where the stories were at their most serious, powerful and engaging. Besides one or two, the episodes in this season are really intelligent and gripping, it's Star Trek at its finest, sci-fi at its most prominent. The character development, stories, acting and effects are all top-notch, topped even more by the Blu-ray release. There is certain warmth about this season that was not present with the first two seasons that makes you want to watch several episodes in one sitting, it's fantastic. The picture quality is also phenomenal (on all 26 episodes), making the experience enjoyable to its full, coupled by 7.1 Surround Sound, master audio and with awesome special features. What more could you ask for?

I cannot recommend this season enough, everything's as Trek should be. Please just "Make It So..." and warp this set in the post as you are missing out if you don't already own it. This season is ground-breaking, buy and enjoy. You will be stunned, like a hand phaser would stun you. Transport this box set home...
on 1 March 2011
I picked out this series of the Next Generation at random, I just wanted to be sure I had some Star Trek after Channel One on Freeview closed. I certainly haven't been disappointed so far. I've enjoyed every episode (I'm about half-way through). I like the stories which give some insight into the lives of the main characters.
on 3 October 2014
This is well worth the £17 in the sale this weekend.
Also has the second part of the borg episode.
And starts getting quite good from here.
I now have seasons 1 to 5 on blu.
Just need to get seasons 6 & 7 and the films when I save up some more.
But these are great in HD and 7.1
on 12 March 2015
Star trek boxsets great though I do have all of them , my season 4 was not working so I replaced them its great to no if it happens again I can replace them , I bought all mine in HMV before they shut down . I have deep space nine sets & voyager to enterprise & next-gen + all the movie boxsets to ,
on 14 September 2012
This item was exactl like it was described to me in amazing condition and at a good price too I am very impressed! Delivery took longer than I had hoped but it came eventually :) plus it was unforeseen circumstance that the seller could not post or contact me ! All in all good buy