Customer reviews

Tetsujin 28 [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 13 January 2012
I purchased this with the mistaken notion that it was an update of the sixties classic "Gigantor"; possibly fond memories blinded me to what a whinging little so and so our "Hero" Shutaro is / was. Given the billing that he was a school boy detective; I foolishly thought we were in the realms of "Detective Conan" series i.e good plotlines; mysteries and even some lighthearted comedy; sadly these hopes were not realised. Just about every episode is about adult guilt; childhood indignation and the inevitable moral judgements.

The villains are so laughable that even my five year old grandaughter gave up on the thrills of Giant Robots and monsters (Universal Pictures should have sued for the potential copyright infringement in episode 4) as for the supposedly psychotic Dr Franken; he turns out to be little more than a self obsessed and angst / guilt ridden nutty professor with as much menace as a cucumber.

Unfortunately, I committed myself to purchasing volume 2 before screening the first, which I fervently hope gets better; although I doubt this will be the case.

In conclusion; if this is an example of re-interpretations; please for all that is good in anime, let no one touch the other classic of the era "Marine Boy".
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse